2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

Thanks, Roy. I'm not one for taking pictures but on that perfect day I had just gotten done cleaning it up and it looked so nice I grabbed the camera and took a couple of pictures, the only time I ever took pictures of it the entire 10 years I owned it. It was stolen not too long afterwards. That particular picture is painful for me so I'm going to take it down soon.
Thanks for sharing it. Painful because the bike was stolen?

Boat: NOUN

A hole in water made of wood and or metal and or fiberglass that one fills with money.
Yeah, I've said all the same things. My plan would be to do most of the work myself. We have friends with a lot of boat knowledge. I'm sure there would still be money to spend. Given that even our old grills require spending, something as challenging as a boat has got to be exponentially worse. But there's also a lot more potential for enjoyment.

We live in a perfect place for boating. On the doorstep of the San Juans, over 100 islands in the Puget Sound. I don't know that we'd sail year round but if nothing else it would be a great way to spend time with our friends, who also have a boat. (Or to be more precise, our friends who have three boats. One to live on. One for their teenage daughter to live on next berth over. One to use when one of the other three is hauled out of the water for repairs.)

If it's all the same to you guys, I'd prefer not to clutter this thread with this. I appreciate the kind words but I'm going to delete the past few posts and hope maybe you guys consider doing the same. Let's keep it on topic as best we can...again, thanks!

I think I'll leave the pic up for a bit longer, though. It's a nice picture.
Consider it done.

The two best days in a boat owner's life, as everyone knows...one when he buys it, and the other when he sells it.
I wasn't happy when I sold mine. I just could not handle it by myself anymore, and my fishing pals were either dead or moved away. Or it would still be here waiting for spring

Larry, exact same situation as me. I never owned an expensive boat, just outboards for hunting and fishing. But, yah, even those are too much to deal with for one person with back problems.

Larry, exact same situation as me. I never owned an expensive boat, just outboards for hunting and fishing. But, yah, even those are too much to deal with for one person with back problems.
Last 3 weeks I have been totally crippled with back issues that have crept into my left hip and leg. Chiropractor says I have a nerve issue (sciatica) I think. He said it runs lower back, the butt and the leg. All I know is terrible pain and need it stopped UGH.
But, yeah re my boat. I had a 14' Deep V MirroCraft. I had front and rear electronics, trolling motors (foot control in front) and a smooth and quiet 15hp Evinrude long shaft with electric start. Was a great boat when I had friends with. Too rough to launch and load though. So sold it. If I can find a small (maybe 12') Jon boat and easy to use trailer I will grab it. I have a beautiful 6hp (1989 IIRC) johnson outboard in my basement. So I would be all set.

I'm thinking of a sailboat that would live in the water. Don't know if I'll do it. Just mulling it around as I consider what I'll do with myself once I stop working.

I agree Jon. And if a lot of that collection is the result of actual hard work and effort, all the better. I would much rather create a collection of old Webers that I had bought for pennies and brought back to life through some blood, sweat and tears rather than something like what Jay Leno does with cars. He just finds one he likes and buys it in showroom quality or he has a shop fix it up and modify it.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with someone that can afford it, to do that, I just like the personal touch to collecting. And as with everything, it has to be done in moderation without negatively affecting other aspects of your life.
I am thinking apples and oranges here. What Jay Leno seems to being doing is having the world searched for interesting, cool vehicles lost to history, and having them restored to build a collection that will hopefully wind up in a museum some day. A lot of those things would be lost to history if he could not afford the master craftsmen to fabricate one off parts to put those things back to working order.
On the other hand I clean up and put together grills that people BBQ on, and hopefully keep stuff out of the landfill;-)

Good points Joe. It will be interesting to see what Jay has planned for his collection after he moves on.

The two best days in a boat owner's life, as everyone knows...one when he buys it, and the other when he sells it.
I really dislike that saying because it is true of everything. We as people are very happy when we buy anything we really want and are really happy when we are able to sell anything we really want to get rid of. I was actually sad when I sold my boat. We used to live on a Lagoon 420 catamaran.
Here is a video of our boat made by the company that made the boom for it.

I really dislike that saying because it is true of everything. We as people are very happy when we buy anything we really want and are really happy when we are able to sell anything we really want to get rid of. I was actually sad when I sold my boat. We used to live on a Lagoon 420 catamaran.
Here is a video of our boat made by the company that made the boom for it.
Oops! Sorry, Joe...I've never owned a boat nor had any inclination in that direction, but I've known friends that have. It's just a joke I've heard. I took up SCUBA diving in the early '70s and found that I get seasick, so not for me.

Oops! Sorry, Joe...I've never owned a boat nor had any inclination in that direction, but I've known friends that have. It's just a joke I've heard. I took up SCUBA diving in the early '70s and found that I get seasick, so not for me.
No problems. The boating saying that makes the most sense is "It is better to have a friend with a boat, than to own one yourself".

No problems. The boating saying that makes the most sense is "It is better to have a friend with a boat, than to own one yourself".
Funny thing kind of related, but as part of my job I was operating a snorkel lift for many hours and discovered that I had rubber legs when I got out of the basket. I think I know what sea legs are! Did you get that after you'd been on a boat for awhile?

Funny thing kind of related, but as part of my job I was operating a snorkel lift for many hours and discovered that I had rubber legs when I got out of the basket. I think I know what sea legs are! Did you get that after you'd been on a boat for awhile?
Yes. I actually purchased our boat in Martinique and sailed her to Annapolis MD. It was a 2 week trip stopping in St Thomas and North Carolina. When stepping on firm ground again it is kind of a weird sensation.

That happens on even a single day trip in relatively rough water. I can even remember that after a day of sitting in my fishing boat on the mississippi river on a windy day.

I am thinking apples and oranges here. What Jay Leno seems to being doing is having the world searched for interesting, cool vehicles lost to history, and having them restored to build a collection that will hopefully wind up in a museum some day. A lot of those things would be lost to history if he could not afford the master craftsmen to fabricate one off parts to put those things back to working order.
On the other hand I clean up and put together grills that people BBQ on, and hopefully keep stuff out of the landfill;-)
Joe,
I think what you do is a great undertaking and very worthwhile. I think you are giving people a perfect cost-effective alternative to the tin junk sitting out in front of the big box stores.

I also like the idea of being part of preserving worthwhile Weber grills that have historical significance. So, bringing back something like a late 1980s Genesis or Genesis Jr. to as close to original as possible wouldn’t fit with your model because of cost and labor time. But it still has merit of its own, at least in my view. I think there is room - and need - for both types of grill restoration. I actually want to do more of both.

I just heard back from Independence Porcelainizing...they quoted me a price of $150 for a blue lid. I think I would be looking at $100 shipping in both directions? That's a shame. Is it the size, or the weight, or both?
Both, but I think a lot has to do with the size of the Box. I sent a Perfomer Table to someone and I was quoted $99 to ship. I then cut the box down to minimal size I was then quoted $38 for the same item.

Back