2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

Could it be those are porcelain enameled and BKF removed the enamel, exposing the base metal?

It definitely looks like some kind of brass or copper alloy. Do you have another one of those laying around I hope?
No that is the only one I have. I do like the black one I have on currently. I just got this one from Roy also and it was dirty I thought I would attempt to clean it. So I am ok with the black ring cap.

I think it was just dirty as you can see from the pic I posted of Roy's Summit Trivet and Ring Cap.
Thanks, Samuel! I have two external burners, one from a G3 and one from a Silver C, both with the black caps, and the black caps are different from the Summit caps which are brass or bronze?

Thanks @Joe Anshien for your input. Maybe you are right, In my frustration I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. As you can see from my progress I am quite the novice at this. And thanks to all for everyone's patience, input and understanding on this matter.

@Steve Hoch is this the polish you are referring to. Are you saying I should have use this to begin with or are you saying I can use to buff out the scratches I have already created. If the latter with what and how do I apply?

Flitz'.jpg

Received my Broil King Wheels for my Platinum. They are a definite upgrade over the OEM ones. I will have to install them when it gets warmer. Thanks @Bill Pudim for the suggestion.

View attachment 46985
For anyone considering these, it should be noted that push clips and caps are not included so a trip to the hardware store will likely be in order. Even with that, these are still a better wheel at a better price than the Webers.

Yes Joe,
I just wet sanded it with 2000 grit sand paper for about thirty minutes. I got to this point before I decide break, stop and observe my work

Ring Cap pic 3.jpg

Yes Joe,
I just wet sanded it with 2000 grit sand paper for about thirty minutes. I got to this point before I decide break, stop and observe my work

View attachment 47016
Did you work your way up through the grades. Trying to remove 120 grit scratches with 2000 grit is a waste of time and will take forever if it works at all. You have to go to 200, 350 /400, 600, 1000, 2000. You can not jump from 120 to 2000. 2000 is basically polishing. Hope that helps. BTW same goes for wood.

The problem I see, and it's a trap that is all too easy to fall into, is to make the grill so nice that you don't want to use it because it looks so nice. These grills are a thing of beauty when they are cleaned up and shined but they don't stay that way for long once you begin using them. Sometimes it's better just being "good enough" without having to be perfect, if you are going to be using the grill a lot.

I agree Ed. For a personal grill. Just making it look respectable is enough for me. For flip grills, I go the extra mile because buyers want to feel like they are buying a NEW grill.

I think once you put that cap on and light the burner it's going to get oxidized and you may not notice those scratches so much. I would put it on the grill the way it is, use the grill for a while and if it still bothered me then I'd do something about it.

One other thing that we used to do at work with the aluminum stuff we made was to apply a light sandblast finish when we were done. I don't know if that is something you can do at home but it is such a small part it would be easy to do.

I agree Ed. For a personal grill. Just making it look respectable is enough for me. For flip grills, I go the extra mile because buyers want to feel like they are buying a NEW grill.
For most grills I'm actually the opposite. Grills for me get a total tear down and clean as I know it will stay pretty close to that. My flippers get clean enough to be cleaner than any other used grill for sale, and not to get grease in their cars.

Ed you and Bruce make a lot of sense and it will be my Daily Grill. Bruce I do not believe its Stainless at least it did not sand out to look that way. When I started the ring cap was black with soot. I just thought that since I had it I would restore it and see what it would look like. I am leaning toward using the black porcelain coated one though and keeping this as a backup or for use on another grill in the future. This one did not turn out to be looking that great.

@Samuel Blue Platinum Side Burner pic 8.jpg

Last edited:

Back