2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

Joe, I have seen that mod video by Bruce too using those but have hesitated for the very reason Bruce has stated. I have been hoping to come across one of those Wire racks that was on a Genesis Gold and then I would not have to weld like the one on Sam Bee's mod but I have not had any luck.

@Sam Bee Platinum pic 10.jpg

Joe, I have seen that mod video by Bruce too using those but have hesitated for the very reason Bruce has stated. I have been hoping to come across one of those Wire racks that was on a Genesis Gold and then I would not have to weld like the one on Sam Bee's mod but I have not had any luck.

View attachment 47049
Since those racks are rare. You could use 1x1 piece of wood painted silver until you find one;-) Worked on the grill I did.

Is there a link for a how to do " dyeing your knobs end caps etc"
Thanks ahead of time.
And Sam your grill iss looking very good, you are making this fourm proud.

Is there a link for a how to do " dyeing your knobs end caps etc"
Thanks ahead of time.
And Sam your grill iss looking very good, you are making this fourm proud.
Thanks for the compliment.

Clean Parts first with dawn and bleach if necessary.

Get you a stainless steel pot and some Rit Dyemore Synthetic Graphite Dye.
Fill pot with water. Boil water until it gets to 220 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave at a Constant 200 to 220 degrees. Add Dye. I use a pot water and 1/2 bottle of dye. Stir dye. Add knobs and submerge. Stir knobs with long grilling tongs as needed so that they do not dye just on one side. Dye for 30 minutes at the constant boiling temp. Check for coloration. If satisfied remove and put in knobs in pot of cold water to allow them to cool down. Then ring out knobs and place on plate with a paper towel and allow to dry.

Rit DyeMore Synthetic Graphite.jpg

Bruce, I just wanted to tell you that I really liked your Skyline Platinum you put in a a lot of work into that one. I really like the bottom especially. I wish I had the skill to weld the bottom of mine like that. I have a welder that is a friend of my daughter's that I might be able to hit up to do the welds for me but I still have to acquire the wire rack. Some of the Silver C parts I am using now for my mod I took off of a Silver C that I had picked over the summer but stupid me I did not keep the wire rack before I gave to my local scrapper. I am still kicking myself on that one.
Samuel, my buddy Steve who has been working with me on grills of late said one should not weld stainless steel unless one really knows what he's doing. That it's all too easy to ruin the qualities that make SS desirable. He explained the process and it sounds very involved.

Thanks for the compliment.

Clean Parts first with dawn and bleach if necessary.

Get you a stainless steel pot and some Rit Dyemore Synthetic Graphite Dye.
Fill pot with water. Boil water until it gets to 220 degrees Fahrenheit. Leave at a Constant 200 to 220 degrees. Add Dye. I use a pot water and 1/2 bottle of dye. Stir dye. Add knobs and submerge. Stir knobs with long grilling tongs as needed so that they do not dye just on one side. Dye for 30 minutes at the constant boiling temp. Check for coloration. If satisfied remove and put in knobs in pot of cold water to allow them to cool down. Then ring out knobs and place on plate with a paper towel and allow to dry.

View attachment 47051
How much dye do you add to the water?

PS: I really like the way your ring turned out. Beautiful work.

How much dye do you add to the water?
I do not remember the size pot I bought I have been looking for that and can not find it, It may be a 10 qt pot and I use half a bottle of dye. But I think it says the ratio on the back of the instructions of the bottle of dye.

Edit: I just checked Roy and it is on the back of the Bottle. On there it recommends 1/2 bottle of dye per 3 gallons of water.

Last edited:
Help! I need help!

So what's new? Or, as my grandmother, who spoke Yiddish would say, "Nu?"

Trying to get the burn tubes lined up on my Platinum to line up. The center tube is not cooperating. What's wrong with this picture? These pictures?

IMG_20220313_110807.jpgIMG_20220313_110803.jpg

Back