2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

If there are no sides and back why the doors? Or are you planning on putting back and sides on?
When I stripped my cabinet and floor from my SS Platinum, I welded cross members in place of the floor bracing. I welded them so they were the same height as the floor, so that if I ever found a financially viable solution for the sides, back and bottom, I could put the SS doors back on. Like Jon, I don't know if that will ever happen, but it is a possibility.

When I stripped my cabinet and floor from my SS Platinum, I welded cross members in place of the floor bracing. I welded them so they were the same height as the floor, so that if I ever found a financially viable solution for the sides, back and bottom, I could put the SS doors back on. Like Jon, I don't know if that will ever happen, but it is a possibility.
Must have been one rust bucket of a grill. Even with floors totally shot I have not come across one (yet) that the sides were not salvageable. If Weber had used SS sheet metal it would have been a forever grill. I wonder what bean counter got to over rule which engineer as usual;-)

If there are no sides and back why the doors? Or are you planning on putting back and sides on?
As Samuel said, I wasn't really finished with that grill when I sold it to a friend before moving. I wanted it to be a closed cart grill but not one that would rust out again. At least the front doors concealed everything from direct view.

IMG_3855(1).jpg

Last edited:
Must have been one rust bucket of a grill. Even with floors totally shot I have not come across one (yet) that the sides were not salvageable. If Weber had used SS sheet metal it would have been a forever grill. I wonder what bean counter got to over rule which engineer as usual;-)
The rust had started working up the sides (behind the rusty flaps of the bottom piece). I could have fixed it and repainted, but it was important to me to not have more ready-to-rust metal on this grill.

Bean counters (it takes one to know one) have had too much to say at Weber, I think. They need more product guys committed to quality like George was:george:.

Platinum Inside.jpg

Joe, I won't say the sides, back were totally shot, but they intertwine at the bottom which causes a lot of rot. On the ones I have acquired, they were probably "salvageable", but that would have taken a whole lot of work and effort. Not worth it in my opinion for something that is prone to rust and will probably start to rust again in 4-5 years. IMO the whole point of a "stainless" grill is so you don't have to deal with that issue.

In the process of disassembling the Left Black Side Cap I broke it. I found one online and ordered it. Let see and hope my order does not get cancelled. They did say that it was in stock, but we all know how that goes

@Samuel Blue Platium Blk Left Side Cap pic 1.jpg@Samuel Blue Platium Blk Left Side Cap pic 2.jpg

Yes Joe that could be a temporary fix if I could get the other half out that is still stuck in the frame piece but it is pretty much wedged in there and I have already used a can of PB Blaster on it,

Moral of the story in removal is once it is exposed that much better to stick a rod in the gap and beat down on that with hammer then the trim piece.

I’m rehabbing a Platinum C at the moment as well. It’s been a case of measure 4 times and cut once throughout the entire process, but I have managed to replace the rotted floor pan with composite deck boards while maintaining the sides, back panel, and doors as close to as OEM as possible. The taller left side panel I was able to source brand new. The bottom 1 inch section of the short right side panel has been rust remediated, body filled, and painted. The back panel has been shortened by an inch and reattached to the framing and composite floor. All hardware, brackets, etc are either stainless or aluminum. I still have to pop the front deck board out and router the leading edge to act as a lower stop for when I reattach the doors but the pics show progress to date.

Attachments

• 6152173F-0F8C-4840-92C7-88E6A2F6DF28.jpeg
    6152173F-0F8C-4840-92C7-88E6A2F6DF28.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 505E8CA1-419F-4A31-BA7C-933C49C951B1.jpeg
    505E8CA1-419F-4A31-BA7C-933C49C951B1.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 63C556E5-9694-4519-8D41-36BD3734D395.jpeg
    63C556E5-9694-4519-8D41-36BD3734D395.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 9E94BA13-9170-407B-BE44-1E2A3C249A80.jpeg
    9E94BA13-9170-407B-BE44-1E2A3C249A80.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 12
  • D0B553E5-44C1-4847-9261-1D3DDF4915FE.jpeg
    D0B553E5-44C1-4847-9261-1D3DDF4915FE.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2373F8F2-A37D-4A2D-9CA2-034BBAACADF3.jpeg
    2373F8F2-A37D-4A2D-9CA2-034BBAACADF3.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1724A458-7D00-4BF6-8DAF-834FDFE4D306.jpeg
    1724A458-7D00-4BF6-8DAF-834FDFE4D306.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 3E76C79E-2C8E-49BB-BF11-C42965E4478E.jpeg
    3E76C79E-2C8E-49BB-BF11-C42965E4478E.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
20190920_102541.jpg

I’m rehabbing a Platinum C at the moment as well. It’s been a case of measure 4 times and cut once throughout the entire process, but I have managed to replace the rotted floor pan with composite deck boards while maintaining the sides, back panel, and doors as close to as OEM as possible. The taller left side panel I was able to source brand new. The bottom 1 inch section of theshort right side has been rust remediated, body filled, and painted. The back panel has been shortened by an inch.and reattached the the framing and composite floor. All hardware, brackets, etc are either stainless or aluminum. I still have to pop the front deck board out and router the leading edge to act as a lower stop for when I reattach the doors but the pics show progress to date.
That is coming along great. Nice work. Where did you get the corner brackets? I can see those coming in handy down the line.

Can you push it out from the other side by taking the frame apart?
Maybe if I cut the metal piece in half I could get better access to it.

I do have an Angle Grinder I could cut it with, but I would need to wash it since its covered in flammable PB Blaster.

I will see if my replacement part ships. If not and it gets cancelled then I will visit this part again.

Last edited:
Maybe if I cut the metal piece in half I could get better access to it.

I do have an Angle Grinder I could cut it with, but I would need to wash it since its covered in flammable PB Blaster.

I will see if my replacement part ships. If not and it gets cancelled then I will visit this part again.
I don't want you to cut the frame. Once the frame is apart (take out the bolts) you may be able to push it out from the other side using a rod or small diameter, long piece of wood. Just spit balling here.

No worries, Joe that metal piece the black end cap is stuck in is off a rusted Genesis Silver C I already gave to a scrapper. It is disposable.

Back