2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

I don't know. I guess they re-porcelain old sinks and tubs. I saw someone on the home improvement show Hometown who redid the porcelain on a clawfoot tub for one of Ben and Erin's house remodels. They claimed it was porcelain, but they just rolled it on :unsure: . I would think real porcelain replating would involve some high heat.
I have had 3 bathrooms done like this. It is not porcelain and I don't think it would work on a grill. It is great for updating and refinishing tile, tubs and sinks. I think it is more of a 2 part epoxy that is quite durable but not a baked on glass coating.

Joe, I think you are correct. When reviewing porcelain coating around me, most were talking about sinks, tubs and showers. Clearly not the same thing as what is on our Weber grill lids.
The old iron claw foot tubs however might be the "real" porcelain coating.

I am no expert, but I think that you could conceivably have letters or whatever you want under a new coat of porcelain. I know the guy in Independence has redone finishes with the steer head like Weber used on one old kettle grill. I showed him a Skyline hood and he didn't seem to object to duplicating it (for a kettle). But, to do something like a control panel with all those words and graphics would probably be very cost prohibitive.

I guess they screen paint on whatever they want and then coat over it somehow.

One positive thing about trying to reproduce what Weber did is that you gain respect for what Weber does.

One positive thing about trying to reproduce what Weber did is that you gain respect for what Weber does.
Yes, but it is easier to mass produce something like that on a cost-effective per unit basis. Doing one offs is really expensive. With supplies drying up for more and more older model Webers, this is going to become a bigger and bigger issue for those of us who like them and want to keep them running, even restoring for resale to other fans.

Yes, but it is easier to mass produce something like that on a cost-effective per unit basis. Doing one offs is really expensive. With supplies drying up for more and more older model Webers, this is going to become a bigger and bigger issue for those of us who like them and want to keep them running, even restoring for resale to other fans.
Plenty of kettles out there, though...no chance of running out of those any time soon. They are not going to fetch a very high price because there are so many of them. But at some point I think it is healthy to let go of the past and just move on.

Ed, I understand and appreciate what you are saying in a general concept. I try to be open-minded about the newer Weber products, recognizing that they are aimed at a different demographic than mine, with different priorities. New techy cars are great and way safer and more reliable, but I would never want to move on from say a '63 Jaguar, '71 Buick Riviera or a '53 Studebaker for that matter. Similarly, I think I am not the only one who values the heritage of the Weber kettle and then later the original Genesis, a product of shoestring yet brilliant engineering. In the case of these grills, I think a good case could be made that the newer ones in many respects are NOT as good as the old ones. So, rather than moving on for me, it is a personal goal to preserve a little bit of that rich history for another generation to appreciate - even if they prefer using digital, WiFi grills for everyday grilling :coolkettle: .

I am glad even the modern Weber appreciates where they came from, preserving this great story of the birth of the Genesis. It is unfortunate that in this modern era, the SmokeFire did not have the same careful and thorough gestation:

Ed, I understand and appreciate what you are saying in a general concept. I try to be open-minded about the newer Weber products, recognizing that they are aimed at a different demographic than mine, with different priorities. New techy cars are great and way safer and more reliable, but I would never want to move on from say a '63 Jaguar, '71 Buick Riviera or a '53 Studebaker for that matter. Similarly, I think I am not the only one who values the heritage of the Weber kettle and then later the original Genesis, a product of shoestring yet brilliant engineering. In the case of these grills, I think a good case could be made that the newer ones in many respects are NOT as good as the old ones. So, rather than moving on for me, it is a personal goal to preserve a little bit of that rich history for another generation to appreciate - even if they prefer using digital, WiFi grills for everyday grilling :coolkettle: .

I am glad even the modern Weber appreciates where they came from, preserving this great story of the birth of the Genesis. It is unfortunate that in this modern era, the SmokeFire did not have the same careful and thorough gestation:

Jon, I would argue that it is not healthy to be a slave to one's possessions (I'm not saying that you are, just that one has to be careful about that). The other thing is, and I hope this doesn't go sideways, but those cars you mention are every bit of a liability as they are an asset. If you have something nice you are best advised to keep it hidden lest someone takes it away from you. Bob Dylan wrote that if you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Well can't argue with that!

“Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.” Jesus quoted in Luke 12:15

No, I am not advocating amassing possessions and know that for myself I need to get my Weberitis under way better control. I am fine with having a collection of old Webers that I use, enjoy and share with others. When it gets to an obsession or overspending, though, then it is time to reign things back in.

I guess I will say that a person could have a pretty large collection of old classic Webers for the price of just one new Weber Genesis. I don't have a problem with someone looking at that equation and making either choice. I just personally enjoy things from when I was young and especially ones that reflect a special effort to get something right. That's why the story of the birth of the Weber Genesis is so appealing to me. And that's why I think it is worthwhile to be sure that at least a few nice examples of these gems live on to be enjoyed and appreciated, rather than being dumped in the landfill.

I agree Jon. And if a lot of that collection is the result of actual hard work and effort, all the better. I would much rather create a collection of old Webers that I had bought for pennies and brought back to life through some blood, sweat and tears rather than something like what Jay Leno does with cars. He just finds one he likes and buys it in showroom quality or he has a shop fix it up and modify it.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with someone that can afford it, to do that, I just like the personal touch to collecting. And as with everything, it has to be done in moderation without negatively affecting other aspects of your life.

I agree Jon. And if a lot of that collection is the result of actual hard work and effort, all the better. I would much rather create a collection of old Webers that I had bought for pennies and brought back to life through some blood, sweat and tears rather than something like what Jay Leno does with cars. He just finds one he likes and buys it in showroom quality or he has a shop fix it up and modify it.
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with someone that can afford it, to do that, I just like the personal touch to collecting. And as with everything, it has to be done in moderation without negatively affecting other aspects of your life.
Those of us that enjoy working with our hands, Bruce, and seeing what comes of it. Why let someone else have all the fun?

Right. To me, it makes the collecting all that much more fun.
Today, my wife, son and I were hanging with another family on their boat, which is also their home. I wouldn't want to live on a boat but it got me thinking that a boat is like the ultimate grill in that one can acquire one for nothing and fix it up through one's efforts. There are costs associated with mooring, hauling it out of the water every couple of years and the like. But it strikes me as something that could bring a lot of joy to one who enjoys working with his hands.

Boat: NOUN

A hole in water made of wood and or metal and or fiberglass that one fills with money.
The two best days in a boat owner's life, as everyone knows...one when he buys it, and the other when he sells it.

Back