2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

Is powder coating the same thing? There's a powder coating shop near me. Not that I need one. Already have a couple of great lids. Just wondering.

Is powder coating the same thing? There's a powder coating shop near me. Not that I need one. Already have a couple of great lids. Just wondering.
No, not for porcelainizing, but for endcaps and cookboxes it's the best coating (make sure to specify high-heat and make sure to specify not to coat the inside of the cookbox, although the jury is still out on that one (a lawyer joke!)

Well, I think @Dave in KC lives close to Independence Porcelainizing and (I could be wrong so don't quote me) I think he said he paid $125 for a lid to be redone in red. Maybe you have a porcelainizing shop nearby? I'd like a lighter blue myself, like a Robin's Egg blue or a turquoise, and there are several shops in my area. There's even a powder-coating outfit a few miles from me and I keep meaning to check that out. Don't get me wrong, if a blue lid came up for free or for sale at a price I'm willing to pay, I'd jump on it. But I've gotten to the pragmatic phase of Weberitis where I realize a blue lid ain't going to cook any better than what I have now and one more grill would likely be one too many.
I would be interested in factory stuff. Although....I have thought about a Glen Blue Genesis. And if I did that, it would probably be a full 3000 (?) like Dan posted. Which is...perfect.

I would be interested in factory stuff. Although....I have thought about a Glen Blue Genesis. And if I did that, it would probably be a full 3000 (?) like Dan posted. Which is...perfect.
The blue lid came from a Genesis 3, yet it is sitting on a Genesis 2000 frame with durawood so it pretty much looks like a 3000.

You mean like this?

1646369994395.png

Powder coating is not the same as porcelain coating. Powder coating is simply using electrostatically charged paint and parts holding opposite charge. But the paint is dry powder. The parts are then brought into a hot (400F) or so oven where the powder "cures" and "hardens" to the piece being coated.
Porcelain is a silica (basically powdered glass) sprayed on to a red hot metal piece (i.e. the hood) where it "fuses" and forms literally a glass coating

You mean like this?

View attachment 46495

Yep pretty much. Although I would probably trim with wood like older models, something about the wood looks better than the plastic that was offered.

Looks like most of the porcelainizing companies in the US are in my area. Interesting. I think I can eliminate Home Depot, Hobby Lobby, and Lowe's, though...

Attachments

• 1646431546771.png
    1646431546771.png
    500.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 1646431639549.png
    1646431639549.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hey, Ed, can you give me the info on the one located up just north of Chicago?

EDIT: NM, i got it. I couldn't read the name until I copied to a graphics program and zoomed in.

Larry: That outfit is really close to you.

Hey, Ed, can you give me the info on the one located up just north of Chicago?

EDIT: NM, i got it. I couldn't read the name until I copied to a graphics program and zoomed in.

Larry: That outfit is really close to you.
Yep right on Rt 173 between Poplar Grove and beautiful downtown Chemung :D

Well, like I've said before, just another arrow in the quiver. You get to talking to people and you learn all kinds of things. I'd like to know how they do the lettering and the pinstriping in the porcelain.

Exactly. I was thinking about some kind of customizing if I had one done and was wondering how that process is done so the porcelain lettering or pin striping doesn't run or blend into the main color. Maybe they do that after the main color is already applied, but it still seems like it would be hard to create nice straight lettering and pin striping.

Exactly. I was thinking about some kind of customizing if I had one done and was wondering how that process is done so the porcelain lettering or pin striping doesn't run or blend into the main color. Maybe they do that after the main color is already applied, but it still seems like it would be hard to create nice straight lettering and pin striping.
Yes, it would have to be done like a silkscreen process on t-shirts. The way I understand it is the porcelain powder is made into a slurry and sprayed on and left to dry before going into the oven. If that is correct, then possibly the lettering could be sprayed over the dried coating and it would only need to be fired once. I plan on picking some brains if I get a call back...inquiring minds want to know!

I contacted a place in Indianapolis, but they told me they weren't interested in doing grills. Rather do bathtubs, etc.

I don't know. I guess they re-porcelain old sinks and tubs. I saw someone on the home improvement show Hometown who redid the porcelain on a clawfoot tub for one of Ben and Erin's house remodels. They claimed it was porcelain, but they just rolled it on :unsure: . I would think real porcelain replating would involve some high heat.

Back