2 cooks this weekend to decide keep it or return it.

This is why with all the concern going around with the Smokefire, I haven’t returned mine. The grill puts out some amazing bbq. I’m not concerned with the app not working right, that can be fixed. I am also ok with putting down drip pans, since that will help keep my grill clean. Hopefully they are able to fix the hopper issues and the issues with the auger feed.

This is why with all the concern going around with the Smokefire, I haven’t returned mine. The grill puts out some amazing bbq. I’m not concerned with the app not working right, that can be fixed. I am also ok with putting down drip pans, since that will help keep my grill clean. Hopefully they are able to fix the hopper issues and the issues with the auger feed.
Exactly!!!

If the Weber folks are reading these threads, I am sure these most recent posts are music to their ears.

If I had already bought one of these, I think I would try to make a divider and line the inside of the hopper along the lines of how Dave showed. I guess with drip pans and regular cleaning (like all pellet grills require) and these retrofits, it might be possible to get reasonable use. It does seem the SmokeFire is fully capable of turning out really good ‘cue, so it is worth some effort.

Those that have used drip pans, do you use them over or under the flavorizer bars?
I don’t see how it could work other than on top of the flavorizer bars.
I’m going to look for some more shallow pans than I used this weekend.

I am being sucked back in, lol. Question, when cooking something quick, like burgers or something, can you use a drip pan then as well? If not, how involved is cleanup?

I don’t see how it could work other than on top of the flavorizer bars.
I’m going to look for some more shallow pans than I used this weekend.
Seems like these would work?

Stock Your Home Disposable Aluminum Foil Broiler Pans (10 Pack) - Broiler Drip Pans for Oven - Durable Broiling Pans with Ribbed Bottom Surface for BBQ Grill Like Texture - 13x9 Inch Broiler Pan https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07RYB6DW5/tvwb-20

I have some stainless baking sheets, along with disposable pans on the way. They were supposed to show up yesterday but Amazon showed the delivery as delayed. I'll post about them when I receive them.

It’s nice to hear a little bit of positive Juju for the thing!
It was a big engineering project for Weber and I’m sure they will have to tweak a few things still, it’s like I said way back when this particular forum started, “I’m not buying the first model year of anything!” There are always things which in real life are less than originally designed and they need to have time to see where the shortfalls are and figure out how to fix them.
It’s really nice to see the “Up” side of what seems to be a fair sized headache for a lot of folks.
Now, I’m hungry!

Yep. I don't think any of what I have seen so far has suggested that this grill can't do great food - as long as it is working safely and effectively. The grease fire issue is a very serious one. I guess as long as you switch to drip pans for most cooking - and clean very regularly - you can avoid this. Not up to all the hype:rolleyes: but not a disaster either. As long as you do these things, that is. The hopper needs to be redesigned, in my opinion. It would be nice if Weber would make this right for early adopters. We will see. Like I said earlier, I would at least do what Dave has amazingly shown us. I think his mods (and fixing the bent metal he showed us :confused:) would significantly alleviate the stopped up pellet flow problem. The ash scatter looks to me like it might take some more complicated technical corrections than I think many of us would be comfortable with - and really no buyer should have to do. Again, maybe Weber will offer to do a fix for early buyers' grills. Otherwise, if I had already bought one, I would be looking hard at the fixes being suggested here and elsewhere.

In the end, while the fiery steak grilling show back in November was very impressive, I think what the one reviewer said sums it up well. "Maybe you need two grills." I think with drip pans and some fixes to the hopper, the SmokeFire still looks to have potential as a low and slow smoker. Some experienced users are even saying better smoke than any other grill. This is how other pellet grills are used most of the time and it is probably how the SmokeFire should be as well. Then get yourself a nicely refurbished Genesis x000 or Silver/Gold/Platinum (better yet, refurb one yourself!). Add a nice stainless smoker box and - if you are like me about sear marks and less flare-ups - a set of GrillGrates. With these two grills, you will have everything you need. Even so, get a nice old red kettle...or two!

I opted for a Camp Chef pellet grill ONLY for smoking which at most would be a dozen times a year. Half the price of the SmokeFire. I certainly don't want to have to do the extensive cleaning every time we grill something (about 4 times a week). I'm glad that people are finding work arounds to the problems with the SmokeFire. It's one thing to customize a grill, but it should not be a requirement to make the grill work correctly as advertised. Besides the grease fire issue, how do you work around the temp imbalance left to right side and the pellet hopper issue. Are the excessive pellet ash issues still a thing?

I haven’t cleaned mine yet and there is some serious ash at the bottom. I’m going to pick up a small shop vac for just the SmokeFire.

Back