2 Butts on the “18 with questions

James H

TVWBB Pro
Hi all. Getting ready for the big game with two 8 pound butts on. Got them a little later than usual so going for temp around 270. Do you guys see much of a difference between 270 and 225? Also I am thinking about putting them in foil pans when they hit around 140 to collect the drippings and use them to moisten the meat when pulling. Have you guys tried this? Should I defat or not? Thanks for the insights!

When I first started smoking over six years ago I aimed for 225. A little later, after reading from experts here and experimenting, I can say that I'm quite comfortable smoking pork shoulders routinely at ~280f and get beautiful flavor. I also have a Pit Barrel Cooker and it has turned-out some awesome pulled pork and it breaks 300f.

Humbly, if I were in your shoes and wanted them to be ready at around 6 PM ET I'd use a higher temp as my priority (but I don't know how long ago you put them on).

I don't usually collect drippings, so I'll let others speak to that.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I find the only difference in 225 and 270 is the time. I’ve never used foil pans. You can put some liquid and sugar in the foil when you wrap to test them to give them extra moisture.

Agree with everything. 275 gets is t done a little faster and I haven't noticed much difference. Personally, I’m trimming but mainly just thinning out the fat cap. Some people like to leave it to protect the meat but I feel like I can get more rub directly on the meat. I don’t think there’s a wrong way to do a Butt. They are pretty forgiving as long as you’re watching temps.
Note: This is backyard novice input 😂

Hey Jim, 270º-280º is fine, 'specially if you're planning on eating today... and panning the butts may cook them faster... i dunno, and you may never know either without trying.
Good luck to you and the team you'll be rootin' for ;)

I usually get 11-12lb butts' as we have a lot of freezer space. But not wanting to start at 0 dark 30 I cook them at 275-280 to get them done in the daylight hours. They come out great every time, like said above they are very forgiving.
I put them on the upper rack of my camp chef with a drip pan on the lower rack to catch some juices and I do mix in a little when I pull them.

I used an alum pan for the Last one I cooked for the wrap stage.

Smoked on a rack for a few hours until temp stalled around 160.

I left it at the stall for an hour or so to get more bark and then wrapped with foil in the alum pan which is the pan I shredded in.

This worked well for me.

No matter what temp I’ve cooked them at, I’ve never had anyone turn down my pulled pork. At some level, there’s probably a difference but personally, I can’t tell the difference and I’ve gone up to 300 degrees. Foiling and temp will both speed up the process but don’t change the outcome. The outcome being that all the pork butt gets eaten.

Enjoy the game.

Just pulled one out of the oven. About 6.5 hours at 325. Left lid off roaster until I had the crust then covered. One in the WSM running 350* all day. It's about ready to come out too. It was cooked in a foil pan. No cover.

Just pulled them out. Bone pulled cleanly. Nothing wrong cooking them @ 300+ in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20220213_161937.jpg
    20220213_161937.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220213_161611.jpg
    20220213_161611.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220213_162156.jpg
    20220213_162156.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 12
I always collect the drippings, but not to mix back in when I pull it. I strain the solids out and then refrigerate it, use it whenever I need fat for something - can’t beat smoked pork fat. One example, makes the best sautéed onions ever…

Back