1st Pizza Attempt

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
First let me apologize for all the pics!
Seeing all the posts recently of the great pizzas you guys have been putting out has been giving me the itch to do my own. I have been on the fence if I wanted to spend the money on the Kettle Pizza. After todays result's I am sold and will be strongly hinting to the wife that is what I want for Christmas.
Started with a base layer of KBB and put a large and small chimney of lump on top of it. Didn't have oak so I used some large chunks of hickory on top of the lump. Used bricks to elevate the stone.
Decided to use my grill brush to prop the lid open for airflow.
Worked pretty well to get the temp up.
Made a pepperoni pizza first.
Leoparding on the bottom crust.
Second "pizza" I made, I had trouble transferring it from the peel to the stone. It turned into a calzone instead.
Then finished it off with a sausage pizza.

I used the Trader Joe's fresh pizza dough. Tastes pretty good but it is really sticky out of the bag. I am really, really happy with the results and can't wait to get my hands on the Kettle Pizza so the process will be easier. Thanks for looking.

Great first attempt RJ! Getting perfect pizza I think might be the holy grail of grilling.
Barb and I do pizzas on the grill a lot. We have used TJ's dough, it's good (gotta say that my daughter is a manager in a TJ's in So Cal) but it's sticky for sure.
Barb found a great simple recipe that works great for thin crust and a little corn meal on the peel and they slide on to the stone without any problems. If you want it to give it a try PM me and I'll get it to you.

Really good pizza RJ. I made a couple of pizzas yesterday. Didn't think about cracking the lid. Still they turned out good. I use this dough recipe http://www.thedailymeal.com/homemade-pizza-dough quick rise. haven't tried the overnight yet. Usually pizza is a last minute (atleast 3hour) decision. It stretches easily once you get the hang of it.

Grate lookin pie RJ! :cool: I've done a lot of pies this way and my new Kettle Pizza will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait.:D

That is exactly how I have been doing mine for years RJ, I don't use the grill brush just off set the lid a little, have had temps at 700 doing it and a pizza is done in minutes. Yours look great and I have made a few Calzones too : )

Bill, I tired at first to just off set the lid but I could not get the temp over 400. Once I used the brush it shot up within a few minutes.

Great job on the pizza RJ, like Rich said corn meal does the trick for me. I even put it on my board to roll the dough out. Just keep moving it around and thats it.
Keep those cooks coming!!

Back