1st Jerk Chicken on the WSM

BrianJM

This is my second cook on the WSM. The first was pork butt.

I marinated the half chicken overnight in Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning and followed the Hot & Fast Chicken method with a little apple wood. Total cook time was about 50 minutes with temps around 400.

This was by far the juiciest chicken I have ever made (usually I do this on a Weber Performer). Of course, it lacked the authentic pimento wood flavors, but the apple wood was a nice compliment.

I need to find an authentic jerk mop recipe. Any suggestions?

dUJAMY.jpg

ttggp1.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking chicken Brian. I can see some sandwiches or chicken salad in the picture.

Great looking chicken Brian. I can see some sandwiches or chicken salad in the picture.
I devoured it, as plated. No leftovers!

I love jerk chicken and that looks killer Brian.
What are you favorite recipes? I really like the Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning (mild), but I haven't been able to cut down the spiciness enough for rest of the family.

Gonna have to get me some of that Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning. If you want a marinade the whole family will love, look no further than this. Your family will love you

511YGPCurXL.jpg

Brian;
Great looking chicken! Hot and Fast has been my "go to" method for chicken parts for some time. It is KILLER!

Regarding "the rest of the family". You can reduce the heat of Walkerswood by limiting the amount of time you marinade the chicken. Their web site has several good suggestions for use of the product (none of which probably address the "heat") and is well worth checking out.

I have family members that absolutely want NO heat. Cooking a couple of different types of chicken at the same time can be problematical. As a for instance, losing track of which is which on the smoker. I have found it VERY useful to tear a strip of aluminum foil from the roll and use is as a divider of the rack. Hot on the left, and mild on the right. Actually wrap the ends around the grate before you start putting the chicken on and you will not have problems with it moving, etc. If effect, you just draw a line accross the grate with the foil (if I have made myself clear). Then put the finished chicken on their respective plates (different colored plates are helpful here).

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

Brian;
Great looking chicken! Hot and Fast has been my "go to" method for chicken parts for some time. It is KILLER!

Regarding "the rest of the family". You can reduce the heat of Walkerswood by limiting the amount of time you marinade the chicken. Their web site has several good suggestions for use of the product (none of which probably address the "heat") and is well worth checking out.

Thanks!

I have found with Walkerswood seasoning, most of the "heat" comes from the residual seasoning (it's really hard to spread it around evenly). I usually mix the seasoning with EVOO and soy sauce ( ratio of 1:1:0.25) and rub it under the skin (and on top). The meat itself isn't spicy at all, but the skin and the occasional bite of residual seasoning is spicy. Of course, we all want to eat the skin!

I have checked out the website, but haven't found much except for possibly purchasing the marinade (but that it spicier!). I checked the ingredients and the main difference between the marinade and the seasoning is water. Maybe I can just try cutting it down with water (and possibly adding more soy)?

What I think I really lack is a good jerk sauce mop. In Jamaica, the cooks at the jerk chicken stands are frequently mopping/basting the chicken with a thin sauce. I haven't been able to find an authentic recipe. Have you?

I have tried multiple recipes for jerk sauce and not one has been anything like what you find in Jamaica. Last summer my wife and I were there and nobody would spill the beans on their sauce. I lie, one hint was pineapple juice. Chicken looks great! Busha Brown's is a great jerk marinade too, been using that for years. First bought in Jamaica. Now I order it on Amazon. Dominic

Thanks!

I have found with Walkerswood seasoning, most of the "heat" comes from the residual seasoning (it's really hard to spread it around evenly). I usually mix the seasoning with EVOO and soy sauce ( ratio of 1:1:0.25) and rub it under the skin (and on top). The meat itself isn't spicy at all, but the skin and the occasional bite of residual seasoning is spicy. Of course, we all want to eat the skin!

I have checked out the website, but haven't found much except for possibly purchasing the marinade (but that it spicier!). I checked the ingredients and the main difference between the marinade and the seasoning is water. Maybe I can just try cutting it down with water (and possibly adding more soy)?

What I think I really lack is a good jerk sauce mop. In Jamaica, the cooks at the jerk chicken stands are frequently mopping/basting the chicken with a thin sauce. I haven't been able to find an authentic recipe. Have you?

Next time you might rinse the paste off to reduce the heat..... I love the WW. I've seen some good Jerk marinade (maybe just pastes) recipes, & WW even makes a liquid one (I've never tried it).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005CMA8SK/tvwb-20

Back