18# Usda Choise XMas rib roast: SORRY for doing that!

Enrico Brandizzi

TVWBB Honor Circle
18 pounder USDA CHOISE Creekstone Farm rib roast to be ready for Xmas Lunch.

I settled 26 OTG with a fuse methode but I didn't valued correctly the amount of meat and the breezing weather.
I lit the fuse at 07:30 and waited till 08:45 to put the meat in.
I considered 03:30 hours to get to 120F internal temp smoking low and slow at 210-220F.
No way. I was totally wrong.
At noon it was 90F.
So I pulled of the 18# and moved to gas oven. Cooking T was 260-275F at the grate.
Internal T moved in 01:30 hours to 121F and then I pulled it off again and wrapped in triple foil and triple blanket.
it was 01:30 pm.
We started eating at 02:45 pm and ready for meat at 03:30 (2 hours later it was wrapped).
I sliced and ....... DISASTER: IT WAS OVERDONE, imo.
I really believe the carry over effect was MUCH MUCH GREATER than what I thought due 2 reasons:
1) cooking Temp in gas oven was much higher than I like
2) resting time was tooooooo long (and carry over affected the meat for a too long time)

Anyhow, taste was really good and it was NOT dry.
Great success overall, but not for me.
Should keep in mind the basic rule: START IN ADVANCE AND YOU WILL BE READY, w/o the necessity to move to gas oven.

IMG_0001 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Dry brined for some hours + Carne Crosta dry rub
IMG_0006 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0011 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0012 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0018 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0028 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0044 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0049 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0051 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

IMG_0052 by Enrico BBQness, su Flickr

Thanks for stopping by.
Enrico

Last edited:
It's funny, you say that's over done, but to me it looks perfect. I think you nailed it for doneness. Having to move it off the BBQ to the oven wouldn't be fun, but I say you pulled it off. Nicely done Enrico

That looks pretty good to me Enrico. That's what makes grilling and Q an adventure, you learn something new almost every time you cook.

If you wanted med rare, yeah it was overdone. IMO, I'd say it was just a smidge over medium. Not mooing but not too terribly overdone. Middle of the road is sometimes best as it pleases the most people.

Looks wonderful!

Where's the horseradish?

Len summed it up perfectly. I like medium rare, but sometimes guests balk at all the red and don't enjoy it. That looks like a tremendous cook to me Enrico!

Enrico -

Looks like medium doneness to me…nothing wrong with that in my book! Great closeup photos of that tasty looking outer crust.

Anyhow, taste was really good and it was NOT dry.

For me, this is what's important. As long as the beef has good flavor and moisture, it doesn't bother me if the meat lacks the perfect pink color. I'd like a nice thick slice from the middle section plus a smoky slice from one of the end pieces.

I really cannot see much wrong with that.

Good job Enrico. (ps. Clear out your PMs. Trying to PM you).

I agree with you that its overdone for my taste but i bet it still tasted excellent and i would have definetly devoured that! Thats probably right where i would have cooked it for a group too like some have already said someones gonna whine that its too bloody if its medium rare. GREAT JOB

Looks perfect to me!

If the taste was really good and it wasn't dry....why do you say it was overdone? Your taste buds seem to say different. :)

Back