18 or 22, I'm struggling.

sorry not following. what "new thing"?

Ignore the comment. Weber is announcing a new kamado-ish contraption that costs a whopping $1500+ and is far from useful for dedicated BBQ'ing. Lots of rumors that it even has a gas assist on it.

Bottom line -- completely irrelevant to discussing purchase of a WSM, yet some people keep holding onto some false hope that it's not exactly what it's rumored to be and will somehow bring them BBQ paradise or something.

Ignore the comment. Weber is announcing a new kamado-ish contraption that costs a whopping $1500+ and is far from useful for dedicated BBQ'ing. Lots of rumors that it even has a gas assist on it.

Bottom line -- completely irrelevant to discussing purchase of a WSM, yet some people keep holding onto some false hope that it's not exactly what it's rumored to be and will somehow bring them BBQ paradise or something.
Thanks. I love my BBQ but $1500 is pushing it. I am quite happy with my I think ~ $650 Weber Genesis gas grill (bought it years ago) and my 22.5 WSM. Was more curious than anything

It almost like holding out for a new vehicle that is coming out when your shopping for a new riding lawn mower. Sure they can both be used as transportation but they are really designed for two different purposes, and at significantly different price points.

After seeing the latest picture of the charcoal summit I know I can't afford one and really don't want to let my OTG just go to waste, I ordered up a 22 WSM and will be getting started this weekend.

After seeing the latest picture of the charcoal summit I know I can't afford one and really don't want to let my OTG just go to waste, I ordered up a 22 WSM and will be getting started this weekend.

Welcome to the club! It's certainly not a requirement, but I'd recommend cooking a bunch of bacon on that thing for the first "break-in". It'll spread plenty of grease around and put a nice base layer on everything. I was smoking whole chickens on my 2nd cook, so don't be afraid to jump right in!

Welcome to the club! It's certainly not a requirement, but I'd recommend cooking a bunch of bacon on that thing for the first "break-in". It'll spread plenty of grease around and put a nice base layer on everything. I was smoking whole chickens on my 2nd cook, so don't be afraid to jump right in!
Will do, I'm hoping to do my first dry run Saturday and some ribs on Sunday. I'll take some pics. Looking forward to it!

Alright she's all built and ready for Saturday. I'll have to give her a few more hugs though the lid didn't want to even go on at first. No doubt the 22 was the way to go, it doesn't seem too big at all.
IMG_7081_zpszjx1fx2e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Just got my 18" WSM and was all excited. Then I started reading these forums and wordering if I should've gone with the 22"? lol.

Had a pair of 18" for 14 years. Just added the 22" a few weeks ago. Love the size for ribs, pork butt and brisket.

normally cook for 3 people and as many as 10 max, the 18.5 is perfect for me. Most of the time the 18.5 is not even maxed out so I couldn't justify the 22 however I liked some of the changes made to the newer versions so I bought another 18.5 to go with my older version .. I have tweaked both cookers to where they really are set it and forget it. I also smoke chicken on the 22.5 performer if need be.

Congrats, Bruno. It looks like you are already posting some of your attempts on the other threads. Glad to see you jumped in feet first.

I have a 22" WSM and a Pit Barrel Cooker. When I need to feed a crowd I'll use my WSM. When I'm feeding family or friends my Pit Barrel Cooker will do nicely. Holds up to 8 racks of ribs. Love my PBC but I'm not selling my WSM anytime soon. Great smokey wood flavor. In fact I just bought a BBQ Guru DigiQ for it.

Just got my 18" WSM and was all excited. Then I started reading these forums and wordering if I should've gone with the 22"? lol.

!8 is big enough for harry soo so its big enough for you! I couldn't resist. I got the 18 and I'm happy with it. Its just me and the wife though. 22 would be nice if you have more mouths to feed.

!8 is big enough for harry soo so its big enough for you! I couldn't resist. I got the 18 and I'm happy with it. Its just me and the wife though. 22 would be nice if you have more mouths to feed.

I ended up exchanging it for the 22". I'm happy with it. Didnt want to feel the need to should've gone bigger down the road.

I ended up exchanging it for the 22". I'm happy with it. Didnt want to feel the need to should've gone bigger down the road.

What have you noticed in regards to increased fuel consumption? Is it just a slight increase? Double?

Also, is it harder to hold temp with it emptier (like, if you're only cooking for a family of 3 or 4, as opposed to a crowd)?

I'm also thinking about the 18 vs 22 for a near-future purchase.

Back