18 or 22, I'm struggling.

I'm definitely going with a 22, now my only concern is waiting to see what the heck is coming out on 4-06.

I'm definitely going with a 22, now my only concern is waiting to see what the heck is coming out on 4-06.

It uses pellets, I can tell you that. Most likely a pelletized kamado. It should have zero effect on interest in the WSM. It's a charcoal smoker and no pellet grill or gasser can compete. I own a Yoder 640 pellet pooper and while I love it for versatility (ie. reverse searing steaks) and its high temp capabilities, I would never get rid of my WSM (which I've now HeaterMeter'd/TC'd). And that's a $1500 pellet pooper, weighs 350+ lbs. Yet my $400 WSM will beat it on BBQ. When I do big cooks, I use the WSM exclusively. You wont find briskets, butts, or ribs on anything but my WSM. Grilling chicken, burgers, steaks, or doing wings --- I use my Weber 18" or my Yoder 640.

Last edited:
It uses pellets, I can tell you that. Most likely a pelletized kamado. It should have zero effect on interest in the WSM. It's a charcoal smoker and no pellet grill or gasser can compete. I own a Yoder 640 pellet pooper and while I love it for versatility (ie. reverse searing steaks) and its high temp capabilities, I would never get rid of my WSM (which I've now HeaterMeter'd/TC'd). And that's a $1500 pellet pooper, weighs 350+ lbs. Yet my $400 WSM will beat it on BBQ. When I do big cooks, I use the WSM exclusively. You wont find briskets, butts, or ribs on anything but my WSM. Grilling chicken, burgers, steaks, or doing wings --- I use my Weber 18" or my Yoder 640.

How can you tell us that?

Jim Lampe says it's a pellet cooker. I would bank it, if he says it. I know he's a Green Bay fan, but he is the Ambassador to BBQ in the WSJ. That has to count for something :)

Jim Lampe says it's a pellet cooker. I would bank it, if he says it. I know he's a Green Bay fan, but he is the Ambassador to BBQ in the WSJ. That has to count for something :)

Love it Chuck;) I would bank it too, but I ain't touchin that Green Bay thing.

Personally, I have both. If you are going to get just one, buy the 22".

We often cook large quantities and then freeze with a vacuum bagging system and the 22" is real nice, especially with ribs.

This is probably the most asked question on the site, and obviously no shortage of opinions.

In my opinion, it depends on what you are going to use it for. Ribs are much easier to cook on the 22, They fit better and no space problems. Spares come from Sam's in packs of 3. between that and the fact that when I smoke, I cook a lot and freeze some. 3 racks of St louis cut ribs are difficult to get on an 18. Sure they can be rolled, but I had rather they lay flat and foil.

The same can be said for briskets. A brisket over 10 or 11 pounds fits much better on a 22 to start, but they do shrink.

If cooking only butts, chickens, turkeys, and 18 is good. And 18's use less charcoal, but is that really a factor considering the cost of the smoker, the meat and the time you put into smoking?

Just an opinion - the 22 gives more flexibility.

If cooking only butts, chickens, turkeys, and 18 is good. And 18's use less charcoal, but is that really a factor considering the cost of the smoker, the meat and the time you put into smoking?

This is the reason the 22 is a no brainer to me. With the cost of the meat I'm smoking, a $5.00 bag of charcoal is a non issue.

I love to stock up during the 2 big sales of the year.

I will only be purchasing one, so a 22 it is.

Thanks to everyone who helped out in this thread.

I am kind of late to this party, but in case you think you are crazy to think this much about this, I actually cut out 18" and 22" circles from cardboard, and carried them around the house asking everyone about there opinion. The only thing I really learned is my 9 year old daughter really doesn't care.

I also took both to a store and laid different cuts of meats (wrapped) on them. Ya, way over thought.

In the end I went with the 22" as well. I will be devil's advocate to what many have said and tell you subsequently I have found I BET the 18" would of been perfectly fine 90% of the time. But I don't regret the 22" and I think you made the right choice.

I am kind of late to this party, but in case you think you are crazy to think this much about this, I actually cut out 18" and 22" circles from cardboard, and carried them around the house asking everyone about there opinion. The only thing I really learned is my 9 year old daughter really doesn't care.

I also took both to a store and laid different cuts of meats (wrapped) on them. Ya, way over thought.

In the end I went with the 22" as well. I will be devil's advocate to what many have said and tell you subsequently I have found I BET the 18" would of been perfectly fine 90% of the time. But I don't regret the 22" and I think you made the right choice.

Since I do a ton of brisket, bacon, salmon and ribs, I think the 22 is perfect 90 percent of the time. Again, that is what I do. I do agree though that for butts, chickens and turkeys the 18 is more than fine and most people make ribs and brisket work too. But I feel the 22 is the way to go for most people.

LOL! I can relate to this! My kids don't care but for some reason the wife feels an 18 is just fine.

I just went through the same struggle. I had the 14.5 and decided to just get the 22.5. I can now do several racks of ribs and just about anything else.

I want to order my 22 on Wednesday but I'm wondering if it's worth it to wait until April 6th to see what this new thing is. Saw on another site the staring price point is $1500, can anyone confirm this? If whatever the new thing is costs $1500 I definitely won't be buying it.

Last edited:
So I'm a dork let's just get that out of the way.

I was all set to hit the buy now button in Amazon to order my 22" WSM and decided for fun to call Weber Customer Service and ask about this new thing and wether or not I should order the WSM. She laughed and said to definitely wait, apparently they are really happy with this new product and she said its "aimed to please".
Dang now I gotta wait till the 6th. Oh well.

Back