14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Model 711001

Are you saying the schematics don't have a water pan, bc I think #10 looks like the water pan...
Or are you asking if you can safely cook the chicken without a heat sink?

Hi, no what I'm saying is the ash catcher is illustrated in the wrong spot. The ash catcher should be in between the legs and the bottom bowl.

...the ash catcher is illustrated in the wrong spot.
I'm not sure of that. I guess it's possible, but doesn't seem likely. Also, the part is labelled "Grease tray, Smokey Joe '10", not "Heat Shield". But as I said before, it will all become clear when we get our hands on one. :)

I just completed my mini and have done a couple of cooks with it and I/we love it. It’s just enough for two people like the wife and I. I’ll take a look at it but it has to be substantially better then my mini to get me to bite at any price. I’m sure it will sell well because it’s something that’s needed for the empty nesters and those who don’t entertain a lot. At least it looks like Weber is paying attention, which is a good thing.

I'm not sure of that. I guess it's possible, but doesn't seem likely. Also, the part is labelled "Grease tray, Smokey Joe '10", not "Heat Shield". But as I said before, it will all become clear when we get our hands on one. :)

True but I think it's kind of odd to put charcoal on top of a grease tray. Makes more sense for them to keep all sizes of the smokers in line with each other to look the same. IMHO

Weber quality should mean that this will last a lifetime, maybe more if well cared for.

Last edited:
i guess and hope it will sell well. but a bit to little, to late. been asking for it for years and meanwhile the mini came out and took off like wildfire.
but i will admit that some messed around so much with the mini that they probably did put $200 into them.

I'm waiting for a bonus and had decided to buy a 22.5 WSM, now the question is what can I do to get the 2014 model? Has anyone seen an updated model number, or would you think ordering from one particular place might get it?

I'm waiting for a bonus and had decided to buy a 22.5 WSM, now the question is what can I do to get the 2014 model? Has anyone seen an updated model number, or would you think ordering from one particular place might get it?

Al, whatever you do, buy it through the link to Amazon.com at this site! Chris A. gets support from the sale and you get a good price.

And welcome to the site!

I'm good with my 18.5. A rack of ribs can lay across it. Seems like slicing will always be required for the 14. Not a big deal, though. I often slice for the 18.5 when fitting multiple racks per grate.

For small jobs, I use my kettle and the fire brick/water-pan method to smoke.

But I'm happy the choice is there for those who want it. It would seem good for campers and tailgaters.

Cool little unit. Am I going to get one ? Sure, why not.
I can smoke some lunch meat in my car on the way to work .............=)
I will keep it in the back seat ofcourse.
Peter

...what can I do to get the 2014 model? Has anyone seen an updated model number, or would you think ordering from one particular place might get it?
That is a great question! We don't know if there will be a change in model number. That would make it obvious, of course. If they don't change the model number, I'm not sure how you can place an order from Amazon, for example, and be guaranteed you'll get the 2014. Who knows how many 2013s they have in inventory? Buying in-person from a local dealer like an Ace Hardware store where you could examine their inventory would be one idea. If you want to wait for Amazon, to be safe, I would wait until you read about others here on TVWBB who have ordered and received 2014 models, then place your order.

One of the things I really like about my mini is when we go camping I can take the pot off and put one grill back on and I have the stock Smokey Joe to cook a couple of burgers or steaks. Wonder if the 14.5 will have that capability, sure would be nice if it did.

One of the things I really like about my mini is when we go camping I can take the pot off and put one grill back on and I have the stock Smokey Joe to cook a couple of burgers or steaks. Wonder if the 14.5 will have that capability, sure would be nice if it did.

I think it will be the same as the current WSMs, with the lid sitting on top of the bowl, as opposed to over or inside the lip of the bowl. But I hope I'm wrong!

Back