14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Model 711001

Thing I like most about the re-introduction of the 14.5 is it'll flatten out some of the absolutely absurd prices that the old 1880s have gone for. It'll be great to see supply catch up with demand. :cool:

That's an interesting question. Weber is notoriously stingy about selling parts like this to enthusiasts like us. And since the WSM lid fits inside the middle section, not over it like the SJ lid fits over the bowl, I wonder if it would fit the SJ, anyway? I guess we'll find out once someone buys one.

I plan on buying one anyway so I guess I will find out.:cool:

Quote from Weber sales rep:

"There is a new 14.5" Smokey Mountain Cooker that will be available for the 2014 season. It will not be available until later this year, sometime around the first of October 2013. I believe that the price on it will be $199.00 but I am not 100% sure until we at the office receive the new 2014 price lists."

Do what I do, commit the crime then beg for forgiveness. Just make sure your a good boy before you make your purchase. Works for me, most of the time.

I was just looking at model numbers and noticed something...

When Weber introduced the new 18.5" and 22.5" WSMs back in 2009, the model numbers were 721001 and 731001. The new 14.5" is model 711001. Why didn't someone notice back in 2009 that Weber was holding a place for the possibility of a 14.5" WSM?

#14 should be in between 15 and 16 in the illustration above.

I am definitely considering buying one, just to feed my addiction lol.

if your asking these questions just to get a feel for how the public thinks, i have 2 concerns.

1. will it cause flair-ups with chicken if you remove the water pan completely (safety first) it seems that the coals maybe too close, I don't care about burnt chicken but I do care about being able to control the fire.
2. The price being too high- for example, of I go to Home Depot and I don't know a thing about webers I may not choose bc the price would be too high for that charcoal smoker bc right next to its is a brinkmann that is 75.00 cheaper. I do know the difference but will first time smokers?

Last edited:
I guess we'll have to wait and see. The leg detail does not seem to include the attachments for the heat shield like on the 18.5 and 22.5 WSMs.

if your asking these questions just to get a feel for how the public thinks...
Yep, just trying to stimulate discussion. These are not research questions for the Weber marketing department. :)

...I go to Home Depot and I don't know a thing about webers I may not choose bc the price would be too high for that charcoal smoker bc right next to its is a brinkmann that is 75.00 cheaper. I do know the difference but will first time smokers?
That's a good point. Same issue already exists today...Brinkmann costs $49 and an 18.5" WSM costs $299. Huge price difference, why buy the Weber?

I've been eyeing a WSM for some time. I live alone so this could be perfect for me.

That said, if its priced at $199, I'll probably go with the 18.5 over the 14.5. If its $150, I'll grab one no problem.

I've been eyeing a WSM for some time. I live alone so this could be perfect for me.

That said, if its priced at $199, I'll probably go with the 18.5 over the 14.5. If its $150, I'll grab one no problem.
Makes sense. Good move definitely.

I am definitely considering buying one, just to feed my addiction lol.

if your asking these questions just to get a feel for how the public thinks, i have 2 concerns.

1. will it cause flair-ups with chicken if you remove the water pan completely (safety first) it seems that the coals maybe too close, I don't care about burnt chicken but I do care about being able to control the fire.
2. The price being too high- for example, of I go to Home Depot and I don't know a thing about webers I may not choose bc the price would be too high for that charcoal smoker bc right next to its is a brinkmann that is 75.00 cheaper. I do know the difference but will first time smokers?

Are you saying the schematics don't have a water pan, bc I think #10 looks like the water pan...
Or are you asking if you can safely cook the chicken without a heat sink?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. The leg detail does not seem to include the attachments for the heat shield like on the 18.5 and 22.5 WSMs.

Yep, just trying to stimulate discussion. These are not research questions for the Weber marketing department. :)

That's a good point. Same issue already exists today...Brinkmann costs $49 and an 18.5" WSM costs $299. Huge price difference, why buy the Weber?

Chris, no EXTERNAL heat shield but look at part number 14 - an internal grease tray? maybe that performs the same function as an external heat shield?

Also it has the side mounted silicone grommet I saw in another thread...

I think its use for me will be for tailgating football games. I am going to have to get an extension onto my deck so I can fit everything on it. Between the Coleman, the Jumbo Joe and 14.5', I think I will be all set for any game I go to.

Back