14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Model 711001

Good stuff, Mike!

Still not clear on what you mean by "the back story". You mean embellishing the story by introducing Lake Michigan into the story, as if all the early grills were made from used buoys that floated on the lake? I'd never heard that part of the story, just the one on Weber.com:

In 1952, after he became frustrated with the uneven and uncontrollable flame of open brazier grilling at his Mount Prospect, Illinois home, determined backyard griller George Stephen set out to build a better grill that would protect his precious steaks from the wind and possible downpours—while sealing in a tasty smoked flavor. At the Weber Brothers Metal Works where he was employed, Stephen ingeniously cut a metal buoy in half and fashioned a dome shaped grill with a rounded lid—and the classic original Weber® kettle grill was born.

But here's the deal. I have the real inside information...from George Stephen himself, reached by seance exclusively for TVWBB. The story goes like this:

It's January 1952. It's -5 degrees in Chicago and Lake Michigan is virtually frozen over. George is grilling in his suburban Mount Prospect, Illinois backyard wearing only a wifebeater t-shirt, a pair of boxer shorts, black wingtip shoes, and sucking down a scotch on the rocks. He can't control the fire on his open brazier grill. So George runs 24 miles to Lake Michigan and swims five miles offshore, where he tears loose a Weber Brothers Metal Works buoy from its mooring using only his bare hands and swims it back to shore. There he cuts the buoy in half using a dull butter knife and fashions a charcoal grill, right there on the shores of Lake Michigan. A passing meat purveyor provides 5 whole turkeys and 8 half hams and George cooks them to perfection his very first time out with this special grill. The clouds part, the sun shines...and a legend is born. The Weber kettle grill.

lol Chris, hope that seance wasn't via a Ouija Board!:)

The Buoy Story, at one time, had me intrigued, but my search for an old/vintage buoy similar in shape to the original kettle grill turned up nothing.
I found photos of heavy metal ones, but all were perfectly round.

I thought it was possible that Stephen might have seen the Cook 'n' Kettle and thought:
Hey, make that thing lighter in weight, elevate it on a stand, and call it a Weber kettle grill, then make up a story about its origins so I don't get sued for the similarity.

lol Chris, hope that seance wasn't via a Ouija Board!:)

The Buoy Story, at one time, had me intrigued, but my search for an old/vintage buoy similar in shape to the original kettle grill turned up nothing.
I found photos of heavy metal ones, but all were perfectly round.

I thought it was possible that Stephen might have seen the Cook 'n' Kettle and thought:
Hey, make that thing lighter in weight, elevate it on a stand, and call it a Weber kettle grill, then make up a story about its origins so I don't get sued for the similarity.

Bob, the buoys were made with 2 half spheres that were welded together. Then they ground the weld smooth and made into the perfectly round shape. Any you find would be in the 22 1/2" diameter or there abouts.

You may be on to something with the Cook 'n' Kettle theory. Was that ever patented? Putting a cover on it is nothing new. Ancient man would build fires in the mouths of caves to avoid the elements such as wind and rain. Various lean-tos and woven huts above at large fire pit as well. Even on the TV show Survivor they do that.

Weber did make it more economical and mass produced. Then have a back story.. Classic marketing, can't knock them for that.

The REAL genius (who may have finally retired) was Eric Schlosser. He created the one touch, the original smokey mountain cooker, the smokey joe, jumbo joe, the list is endless with him. A real gentleman.

Another tidbit. George's favorite marinade. Wish Bone Italian Dressing. (as told right by one of his son's).

Via that website: As you can see from the Cook 'n' Kettle, the similarities between it and the Weber are striking. Also, that site is more accurate in what really happen in George's process. Not that "wind and rain" crap.

This is much like the history of the electric guitar. Paul Bigsby had several significant innovations before Leo Fender and the telecaster. They all lived in the same area and met with Les Paul (making his own innovations and experiments) and a lot of the popular players of the day. Leo even borrowed one of the Paul Bigsby guitar for a week or two.

A few weeks later, there is the Fender Broadcaster, later named Telecaster. Originally it was viewed as the first electric guitar. But as history has been uncovered with various documents and facts, photographs, it is now seen as the world's first "mass produced electric guitar".

The REAL genius (who may have finally retired) was Eric Schlosser. He created the one touch, the original smokey mountain cooker, the smokey joe, jumbo joe, the list is endless with him. A real gentleman.
Erich seems to be semi-retired? He has the title of Emeritus Head of Engineering or something similar. Harry Soo of Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ just met Erich a few weeks ago when he taught his BBQ class to Weber staff in Schaumberg.

Back