$100 Sous Vide

LOL Bob! I hate to tell ya, I'm the President of the "W$F did I buy this for club".

Here's the way I see it: most, if not all of here on TVWBB are passionate about food and BBQ and that means we need gadgets, oops I mean "gotta have" equipment. Did I really I the Vortex? The Cajun Bandit door? The Maverick with the wireless receiver? The Thermapen? The ATC? NO, no, no, no,and no! But that's not the point! It's my hobby and hobbists need tools. Lots of tools. I say go for it and have fun! linda :coolkettle:

I've ragged my Son for quite awhile about his "soup vittles" cooking and explained how NASA made boil in a bag popular back in the 60's. Now I have to figure out a way to tell him I bought one and ask for recipes. Sigh......

But Todd, you didn't mention Spam! :p
Seriously, I'm looking forward to the possibilities.

Hip-Hop-Beats-MindBlown_zpsetfevbak.png

Bob,I never even thought about Spam! My whole life has been a lie! Can't wait to try it.

Todd, you never mentioned pig snouts or bull testicles either. But oh well, I hope to find those recipes and more in the cookbook I just downloaded onto my kindle called "Sous Vide Grilling: The Best Recipes and Techniques for Using Your Grill with Sous Vide Cooking". Like Bob, I'm looking forward to learning a new technique of cooking to add to my repertoire. That's why I bought it!

Mary, I did the same. I got a real good book and actually kind of fought it for a while. I finally cracked it open and discovered some really cool thing. Some recipes I have no desire doing. Most Sous Vide recipes are really Asian influenced. Cross that with some MERICA bbq! Just equals win

Here's the way I see it: most, if not all of here on TVWBB are passionate about food and BBQ and that means we need gadgets, oops I mean "gotta have" equipment. Did I really I the Vortex? The Cajun Bandit door? The Maverick with the wireless receiver? The Thermapen? The ATC? NO, no, no, no,and no! But that's not the point! It's my hobby and hobbists need tools. Lots of tools. I say go for it and have fun! linda :coolkettle:

Hey Linda! I too have everything you mentioned above except the Cajun Bandit Door or the ATC , what ever that is.
I try to build my cooking/BBQ arsenal whenever I find it on sale! I bought the Vortex for $30. with Free shipping, so I couldn't possibly pass that up! :)

I love cooking sous-vide. Perfect steaks every time, all they need is a good hot sear once out of the bag and dried off. I've easily done this on my performer, and can't wait to try it on my Summit sear station.
Why the beef about an 8 hour cook when smoking often takes much longer than that??
Besides, the seats are better than almost anything I've gotten at a high-end steakhouse! Well worth it, In my opinion.....

Mary! You got a major deal on that vortex! Way to go! Like you, I try to wait for a sale, but all the raves about the vortex sparked my inner urge to buy BBQ toys. I can't help it, I'm hooked on Q! :eek: My ATC is my PartyQ and I was just to lazy to to write PartyQ. linda

Ever since this was first posted, I was interested. Issue for us is that the$100 price tag quickly escalates up to about $135 then with FX to about $165 so not so much of a deal for northerners.

In any case, I started researching this method and boy, are there fanboys and naysayers out there. Very confusing. Most reviews I've read are very positive and I really only found one negative review (in its entirety). Food comes out slightly mushy, texture is not right, etc. When one is used to the dry heat method (grill, fry (not really dry but you know what I mean), this method does produce a certain result that is different.

Of all the reviews I found (for sous vide, not this particular unit), I thought this one was the best. AND I think it's the best because of the reader comments that come after the review. Give it a read. I'm still on the fence with this process.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/new-sous-vide-supreme-machine-review.html

Len, the only deal for Canada is by buying off their website http://anovaculinary.com/ with coupon code "luvdad" $50 off and free shipping. I'm debating if I should get it as well, but trying the beer cooler steak method from serious eats. I don't know if I need it. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?58800-Testing-the-Beer-Cooler(Thermopot)-steak&highlight=beer+cooler

Len, the only deal for Canada is by buying off their website http://anovaculinary.com/ with coupon code "luvdad" $50 off and free shipping. I'm debating if I should get it as well, but trying the beer cooler steak method from serious eats. I don't know if I need it. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?58800-Testing-the-Beer-Cooler(Thermopot)-steak&highlight=beer+cooler

At the time it was posted, I went to the amazon.com site and I got to the "confirm the purchase" part when the shipping cost is shown. It was available to be shipped here so I'm not sure what you mean by "the only deal" unless you're referring to the post by Jeff (above) where Amazon is out of them now.

I like the idea of tenderizing any cut (ie "cheaper"), just not sold on the length of time it takes to get there.

Cooks illustrated tested sv machines and sticks and said this was the best by far, and being able to use any container is a plus. To bad the code expired I was ready to buy

At the time it was posted, I went to the amazon.com site and I got to the "confirm the purchase" part when the shipping cost is shown. It was available to be shipped here so I'm not sure what you mean by "the only deal" unless you're referring to the post by Jeff (above) where Amazon is out of them now.

I like the idea of tenderizing any cut (ie "cheaper"), just not sold on the length of time it takes to get there.

Sorry. Meant the alternative deal as Jeff posted. I original tried to order from amazon, but it said it didn't ship to Toronto.

I received mine yesterday from Amazon. Have not even attempted to use it yet. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a Cambro box and a Waring Pro torch or not. Don't really need either, but since my taste buds are still not up to snuff yet from being sick for a couple weeks, I'm in no hurry. I did however, order a couple hard bound Sous Vide cookbooks as well as downloaded two on my Kindle, and watched numerous You Tube video's, so when the time is right, I'll know what I am doing.

I use this container and lid with my Anova One (cut a notch in the lid for the cooker) and finish off steaks and the like with the Iwatani torch. I bought the Waring Pro sealer with reusable bags, but the bags are a pain to clean so I switched over to a FoodSaver.

I also bought the 18 and 22 quart versions of the tub because they use the same lid.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00BBJC1CY/tvwb-20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000R8JOUC/tvwb-20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000VAUFD6/tvwb-20

Any other "new to sous vide" members use your Anova yet?
I posted about my first "cook" a tri tip.
Yesterday I SVed a couple of chicken breasts, didn't take pics, didn't use a grill, browned in butter in a skillet instead.
They were the most tender and moist bscb's I've ever made.
I ran it at 142 for 2.5 hours.
Next up will be boneless chuck short ribs, or a chuck roast.

Bob, like I said in your other sous vide post, I haven't used mine as of yet, but have plans to do so this weekend.
I have however, been reading everything I can get my hands on about the technique. I bought 2 hard cover sous vide cookbooks, and downloaded 2 kindle versions and have been reading those in the evenings. I'm really looking forward to getting my sous vide on!
BTW, Have you bought any of the suggested accessories yet, like the torch or the plastic tub and lid?

Last edited:
Mary,
Unlike you, I've resisted buying anything else, so far. :p
Thought I'd see how it goes first, for my two smallish cooks a stock pot has worked well.
Probably won't buy a torch since I'd like to sear, maybe with some smoke, on a grill.
Started with hot tap water, and it didn't take long for it to come up to temp.
I did cover the top of the pot with foil.

Back