$100 Sous Vide

J,
I had no interest, desire, need, or want for a SV unit, but....
it's hard to pass this up.
Wasn't sure if your link is through TVWBB so I looked it up via the TVWBB link and it's setting in my cart waiting for me to decide.
Thanks for the heads up, I think :)

ps, the code goes in at checkout.

Bob,

I did forget to link through TVWBB, thanks for the reminder!! I'm in the same boat as you. I need this like I need a hole in my head, but after seeing some of the great sous vide cooks I feel like I'd be a fool to pass this up. Decisions, decisions.

I received an Anova Precision Cooker yesterday, which is the newer model of this product. It is the only item I've ever had pop, spark and smoke, the first time I plugged it into the outlet. It is on its way back and I'm not getting a replacement.

(Huge Sigh) I hate when these super duper deals come up! I have no use for a Sous Vide, although, secretly, I've always kinda wanted to try it once to see what all the hype is all about.
I guess I'll find out in a couple days.. :)

(Huge Sigh) I hate when these super duper deals come up! I have no use for a Sous Vide, although, secretly, I've always kinda wanted to try it once to see what all the hype is all about.
I guess I'll find out in a couple days.. :)
Welcome to the I don't really need this, why the heck am I buying this club Mary!
Maybe we can all compare notes later.

LOL Bob! I hate to tell ya, I'm the President of the "W$F did I buy this for club". I'm also known as the Kitchen Gadget Queen. But have no fear, every time the kids come to see me ( they were all here for my birthday, 2 weeks ago) they each clean me out of cooking gadgets. I just lost my immersion blender, a couple of 12" frying pans w/ lids, my not so old infrared thermometer gun ( I hid my brand new Thermopen!) And various other things, including a brand new comforter the oldest Grand daughter just had to have!
As soon as everyone left town, I ordered a new immersion blender, and now this, so they have something else to take at Xmas time when they come back. :)

Last edited:
I suppose now I need to order YET another cookbook to go along with the other 800 I haven't read, just so I know what and how to cook with a Sous Vide! If anyone knows of a good one, let me know!

A belated happy birthday Mary!
I try to send my kids/grandkids home with some food when they visit, but they know better than to touch my other stuff or they get the evil eye.
dr_house_s_stare_by_llucmenrok-d8p5wd7.jpg

Bob, I only have one kid that truly enjoys cooking, my Son. The girls only cook out of necessity, so their kids can eat.
I'm probably a little more lenient when it comes to my son asking "Can I have this?" More than the girls, only because he lives on a island in the deep Caribbean, 35 miles off Venezuela, and I don't see him nearly as often as I do the girls. Plus, he treats me like a queen, even with the miles between us. The girls, are most interested in decorative things...

Oh Come on guys. You sound like that dude "What? 8hrs to cook some meat? that's stupid. Just microwave it and be done." Once you learn cooking Sous Vide you will be a huge believer! Once you learn Sous Vide then start incorporating the WSM.(smoke vide). You will never go back. It will literately re kindle cooking for you. Pig Ear Terrine, tandoori shirmp, Sous duck smoked po boy's,and my very favorite. Beef ribs with blues hog foam. All done Sous Vide then finished in smoker. Outstanding

Oh Come on guys. You sound like that dude "What? 8hrs to cook some meat? that's stupid. Just microwave it and be done." Once you learn cooking Sous Vide you will be a huge believer! Once you learn Sous Vide then start incorporating the WSM.(smoke vide). You will never go back. It will literately re kindle cooking for you. Pig Ear Terrine, tandoori shirmp, Sous duck smoked po boy's,and my very favorite. Beef ribs with blues hog foam. All done Sous Vide then finished in smoker. Outstanding
But Todd, you didn't mention Spam! :p
Seriously, I'm looking forward to the possibilities.

Todd, you never mentioned pig snouts or bull testicles either. But oh well, I hope to find those recipes and more in the cookbook I just downloaded onto my kindle called "Sous Vide Grilling: The Best Recipes and Techniques for Using Your Grill with Sous Vide Cooking". Like Bob, I'm looking forward to learning a new technique of cooking to add to my repertoire. That's why I bought it!

Last edited:
I just have to ask purely out of ignorance, but what the heck is it, and how do you use it to cook? I saw the video from the link, but I'm still in the dark with this one.
Thanks,
Tim

Ever since this was first posted, I was interested. Issue for us is that the$100 price tag quickly escalates up to about $135 then with FX to about $165 so not so much of a deal for northerners.

In any case, I started researching this method and boy, are there fanboys and naysayers out there. Very confusing. Most reviews I've read are very positive and I really only found one negative review (in its entirety). Food comes out slightly mushy, texture is not right, etc. When one is used to the dry heat method (grill, fry (not really dry but you know what I mean), this method does produce a certain result that is different.

Of all the reviews I found (for sous vide, not this particular unit), I thought this one was the best. AND I think it's the best because of the reader comments that come after the review. Give it a read. I'm still on the fence with this process.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/new-sous-vide-supreme-machine-review.html

@Len
I'm still on the fence with this process.

Me too, and I have a unit on the way.
There's no question that it will not replace much of my grill cooking, start to finish on the grill.
But the curious side of me wants to see what it will do to a tough piece of meat, or a hard to get cooked perfectly chicken breast or loin chop.
Edge to edge doneness on a steak looks good, but does it make the steak taste better?

Wolgast, if you're lurking out there please drop in and let us know what you think about SV cooking now that you've had your unit since 2012.

edit, looks like the deal is still on.

Last edited:

Back