$100 is this anything must own?

I think a little more information would help people decide on is it worth it. Where's it at, what's the box look like is there any rust anywhere does it include a propane tank or is it natural gas I don't know it just seems like there's a lot more information needed but. It was close to me I'd go look at it and for a hundred bucks seems like it'd be a good purchase.

This is a horrible place for the question "is this anything I must own."
Well said Fletch!
Who among us has never bought something for a hundred bucks (or more) on a lark and realized, after it was too late, that it may NOT have been a wise move? Would I get this particular grill? Probably not.

If the front of the cook box is solid (maybe if Jon Tote can supply you the stainless "patches") then yes. Those 1st generation Summits are wonderful grills to cook with, and that is the 650. The bottom of the cabinet will not rust out as it's a heavy enameled wire rack. The frame is built like a tank. And it will grill (won't do very well rotisserie) but it will bake, grill and overall cook better than anything you can buy today.
It appears to be a NG model so if that will work for you than it's outstanding
Re the generation that followed this one.....................I agree with Brett. Nothing but headaches. Now if you can maybe offer $60 or $75 and snag this beauty? All the better. Even if there is a little bit of bubbling in the front fire box check with Jon Tofte about getting you those patches. Quite honestly though even I would be tempted (don't tell my wife)

this is one of the few Webers I’ve seen close to the house. I’m going to pass on it though.

I didn’t really know what it was, I just wanted to make sure someone wasn’t selling a holy grail or something for $100.
I missed out on a brown kettle like this once for $50 and I was less than thrilled.
IMG_6104.jpeg

And there was that whole Traveler debacle where the guy couldn’t light it so I was gonna pick it up after work for CHEAP, but I got crazy busy at work and missed an email to see if my offer was real.

Then It showed up on here and the guy who got it is loving it!! 😀

I have to say that I don’t at all agree. Yes, the firebox is a serious issue, but as @LMichaels noted, I have been fortunate to have found a metal shop that helped me make stainless reinforcement panels.

IMG_4252.jpeg

With those in place and a makeover, this is a grill worthy of the Summit name. It makes me happy every time I fire it up! I would have a hard time passing up on a 6-burner.

I have to say that I don’t at all agree. Yes, the firebox is a serious issue, but as @LMichaels noted, I have been fortunate to have found a metal shop that helped me make stainless reinforcement panels.

View attachment 84506

With those in place and a makeover, this is a grill worthy of the Summit name. It makes me happy every time I fire it up! I would have a hard time passing up on a 6-burner.
I am pretty much set about not owning another gas grill to replace my 30 year old Genesis 1000, but if one of the original summit gas grills like the one you restored is available close to home, and not past the point of no return, I will go for it.

Aesthetically a beautiful piece of cooking equipment.

A six burner is way too much grill for my needs though.

Back