100 inches of snow. This weekend.

Lived in So Cal from 1963-2003, if it wasn't shakin it was bakin. Great place to grow up in. In the Fall/ Winter surf in the morning go snow skiing in the afternoon.
Will say when we left for AZ it was getting pretty bad with traffic and overcrowding everywhere. Sure, don't miss it.

I skiied a little in the upper Midwest in high school. Even on those small hills, the lifts did not move in windy conditions. And came to a flat stop when idiots started bouncing the chairs.

Tahoe does get these storms. When driving after the roads have been plowed, it’s like driving through a tunnel. Literally 10’ snow banks on either side of the road are common. It’s impressive if you’ve never experienced it.

Tahoe ski resorts had like SIXTY feet of snow last season. Hard to comprehend.

I rode the lift in Colorado with a guy from there. He said last season they had to snowplow below the ski lifts to get them running. Because the snow was piled up so high that the lift chairs were dragging through the snow drifts.

Literally 10’ snow banks on either side of the road are common. It’s impressive if you’ve never experienced it.
I have experienced it here. Back in the 78/79 Michael Bilandic memorial blizzard, I was living in DuPage County IL and once west of Bloomingdale, you were out in the country. Could not see at corners, huge walls of snow, Cool in a way, but scary

Yesterday morn I drove through some serious heavy snow coming down going to the airport.
Yesterday afternoon I was covered in sunscreen with a big shady hat and sunglasses baking my tail off watching a ballgame in Arizona.

Years ago my son and I ski’d during a snow storm at Heavenly Valley.
48 inches landed by the time we called it a day.

And along comes Jane Byrne.
I was at a wake by Midway airport that nite. Snow was just starting and in a few hours it was a full blown blizzard.
Did not see one plow on 63rd street.
Gotta say I really liked her. I liked Harold Washington as well.

I wonder how many people thought that all this snow would be great for skiing, and then got stuck on their way to the slopes.
I80 was closed to traffic. Caltrans and CHP stop the idiots before they can bring harm to themselves and safety personnel. Can’t clear the roads when there are stranded cars present. CHP and Caltrans run a tight ship up here for safety. People can die in these storms. No joke.

Last edited:
Dan, is this not great the snow melts in the spring adds to the water supply which maybe not in a drought anymore?

Yes, I think it's great news. We'll know more after the next snow survey where they take samples and melt them to know for sure how much snow pack there is. I think these start in april.

What we don't need are waves of warm storms with rain above 6000 ft elevation to melt all the snow and cause flash floods.

edit: here's a graph posted today from cal berkely's snow lab. They are located along I-80 near Donner Summit

1709605768833.png

Back