05 Summit Platinum\Genesis Platinum Frankengrill Build Thread

My end caps have unthreaded posts cast into the mold. I have to use zip nuts to secure it to the metal lid.
Personally, those are my favorite end caps. I like the clean finished look vs the holes in the ones with that use bolts.

Those “speed” nuts work pretty well to me, and you can get brand new ones pretty cheaply.

Personally, those are my favorite end caps. I like the clean finished look vs the holes in the ones with that use bolts.

Those “speed” nuts work pretty well to me, and you can get brand new ones pretty cheaply.
I like those ends the best too. Maybe I need to order the nuts from Weber. I've been using what my local hardware store has, and it just isn't fitting super snug. They do the job and have held up for years, but it just isn't torqued down so I have a little bit of movement under the rim of the aluminum ends.

That may be normal, I bought this lid with all the nuts rusted out, so I'm not sure what "new" looked like.

They just need to be snug. If you turn them past a certain torque, they will strip the aluminum post. Make sure you have the correct sized ones as well. One size bigger might seem like it fits, but really doesnt. Weber used a couple different sizes on their grills. The ones used with bolts are a bit smaller than the ones used on the aluminum posts.

I believe this is the size you need for your lid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041C6LYW/?tag=tvwb-20

They really are not meant to be "torqued" down
They just need to be snug. If you turn them past a certain torque, they will strip the aluminum post. Make sure you have the correct sized ones as well. One size bigger might seem like it fits, but really doesnt. Weber used a couple different sizes on their grills. The ones used with bolts are a bit smaller than the ones used on the aluminum posts.

I believe this is the size you need for your lid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041C6LYW/?tag=tvwb-20

Appears I have properly rebuild the lid. Glad to know. Now that I look at the Summit, I bet those end caps are the same. I might rebuild the lid again and put the nicer caps on.

A real shame that Weber didn't make a better firebox on Summits. The grill is in fantastic shape, but is a ticking time bomb with that front panel, and jesus those flavorizors and ignitors are a mess.

I'm going to RTV my logos on and polish with Bar Keepers. My wife decided that the grill was a good place for the potted plants, so now I have some interesting ceramic staining to deal with on top of everything else.

Still plinking along on the grill. It is fully functional now, so just working on cosmetics and procrastinating on attaching the last Stainless front panel.

I want to convert to the Summit thermometer, but I've got these 2 holes from the old mount to deal with.

Any suggestions for covering them? Maybe a couple of carriage bolts?PXL_20210420_010227319.jpg

I actually did that on my Genesis Platinum, but the Summit I got my thermometer from was the current generation and it had a very large round bezel that covered up those holes. You might see what it would take to get one of those bezels.

IMG_3855(1).jpg

I got those from Amazon. The originals had rusted :rolleyes: .

That one doesn't seem to be available anymore, but that size is pretty common. I just searched for stainless handles.

I remember you posting those photos a year or two ago and also remember thinking that they are soo much more classy looking that the stock ones. If I owned a cabinet grill, I would definitely pay the $6 for those to replace the cheapo ones the Genesis grills come with.

I flipped a 5 year old Spirit this week and it really renewed my interest in finishing this project. Weber is junk now. You could lose a hotdog between the gaps in those cast iron grates and the firebox is maybe 1/2 the thickness of the older ones.

Aesthetic update. Riveted a stainless panel across the gap to give it a finished look and did a quick pass with some barkeeper's friend to get most of the crud off.

To do list:
- New handles are ordered (thanks @Jon Tofte )
- Find a solution for the sparker
- mount Summit badge
- Summit thermometer retrofit
- cut a hole for the manual ignition port.

PXL_20210423_002750568.jpg
PXL_20210423_002803613.jpg

Last edited:

Back