05 Summit Platinum\Genesis Platinum Frankengrill Build Thread

Nice work. What did it take to do this, and what burner tubes will be used to fit? While I think this is a cool project, I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze, with the limited availability of parts (drip tray and maybe more to come) for the old cook boxes. What advantages besides a bigger turkey on the roti and maybe a little more even heat that the 13 bar give you, verses the longer pre-heat times and fuel consumption of the deeper box?

It is a standard 13 bar firebox and manifold and will take Genesis 1000 burners. It would have certainly been easier to simply put a Silver b cookbox in it. But, I already have RCP grates and flavorizer bars for my Genesis 1000 that will be swapped in. There is pluses and minuses to the deep box, but my thought is that the pluses outweigh the minuses. I have about ten drip trays for the deep box grills in various states of condition, so that is not a problem right now.
One other driving factor is that this mod has been talked about for a long time on this list without someone actually doing it. I decided I wanted to take it on and in processes, create my "forever" grill. This will likely be the last gas grill that I own for personal use.

It is a standard 13 bar firebox and manifold and will take Genesis 1000 burners. It would have certainly been easier to simply put a Silver b cookbox in it. But, I already have RCP grates and flavorizer bars for my Genesis 1000 that will be swapped in. There is pluses and minuses to the deep box, but my thought is that the pluses outweigh the minuses. I have about ten drip trays for the deep box grills in various states of condition, so that is not a problem right now.
One other driving factor is that this mod has been talked about for a long time on this list without someone actually doing it. I decided I wanted to take it on and in processes, create my "forever" grill. This will likely be the last gas grill that I own for personal use.
Those RCP's are reasons enough to have it;-) What was the secret or magic sauce to fit it if there was one?

RCPlanebuyer grates. It is the handle of the guy that makes them. THey are top line grates and flavorizer bars. His real name is Dave Santana.

OK, I finally found a viable solution to replacing the cabinet on my Stainless Steel Frankengrill. I pretty much now have my nearly rust proof 13 bar deep box grill complete. The cabinet was the final modification. I found an inexpensive source for some aluminum sheeting and had my son help me fab the cabinet sides, back and bottom and then I fabbed in the SS doors. They are actually Summit doors which makes it even more Franken grill with parts from the cart coming from a Platinum C, the lid and cook box from a Genesis 1000 and now Summit doors. Not much left on the grill that will rust.
No, it isn't all polished up and pretty, but it is quite functional.

20230320_160034.jpg20230320_160052.jpg20230320_160059.jpg20230320_160104.jpg20230320_160109.jpg20230320_160118.jpg
20230320_140901.jpg

20230320_160139.jpg20230320_160145.jpg20230320_160209.jpg20230320_160541.jpg20230320_160650.jpg

Bruce,
You brought that already great project to an even higher, ultimate level. You now have the grill we all only dreamed Weber would make. No rust, no compromise on the firebox, and even a safe place to hide supplies.

That one should be in the Weber Hall of Fame :coolkettle: !

I think you pulled it all together brilliantly, Bruce! I can only echo what everyone else has already said. Everything harmonizes so well it looks like it could have rolled off the factory floor. That one's a keeper fer sure!

Thanks everyone. I am happy others like it as much as I do.

Why can Weber not put out a grill like this. No lights, built in thermometers, fancy knobs or any of the other bling. I don't think it would cost all that much more than current three burner Genesis even with SS. I think there would be a market for it if they advertised it for what it is. A fully capable, proven design with a 25 year warranty, bumper to bumper. Put an overhead IR burner and/or side IR sear burner in it and they could probably get $1500 for them. What more could a serious BBQ guy want except maybe a six burner version. :unsure:

Why can Weber not put out a grill like this. No lights, built in thermometers, fancy knobs or any of the other bling. I don't think it would cost all that much more than current three burner Genesis even with SS. I think there would be a market for it if they advertised it for what it is. A fully capable, proven design with a 25 year warranty, bumper to bumper. Put an overhead IR burner and/or side IR sear burner in it and they could probably get $1500 for them. What more could a serious BBQ guy want except maybe a six burner version. :unsure:
Amen! Make something REALLY worth what you're asking for it. What a novel idea and make it here not China!

If Weber had those IR burners and more rotisserie clearance I would have never gone over to Napoleon for my gasser.

I would think the roto would be way too long. But, the side burner should fit a Genesis C that has the right side table. I was going to do that with the SS platinum that I have waiting on me, but I might just leave the extra side shelf.
The tables from the Summit will work on the SS Platinum Genesis too.

Stainless is a bit harder to weld but not bad. I am very novice at welding and I have done some stainless welding. You need to use stainless MIG wire and gas. I don't even know if they make flux core SS wire. Otherwise, it is basically the same. Try a few practice welds until you feel comfortable and then go for it. Just remember one thing. The grinder is your best friend.

View attachment 24343
Stainless tig welding is also an option and in my opinion easier thank mig due to the easy heat.control.
Good luck!

Back