“How old is this grill” challenge.

You're all missing the fact that those 80's grills had wide slats running a different direction
I think 88 had narrow slats running front to back.

nope: according to this, 88 had wide slats.

my new guess is 1989

I have a Genesis II that I thought was a 1989. I suppose it is newer looking at the 89 catalog. It has grey control knobs and does not have a slotted tank gauge. The igniter toggle does not have a bezel and looks like the one originally posted, no Celsius and no "8006" number on it.

Last edited:
I think 88 had narrow slats running front to back.

nope: according to this, 88 had wide slats.

my new guess is 1989

I have a Genesis II that I thought was a 1989. I suppose it is newer looking at the 89 catalog. It has grey control knobs and does not have a slotted tank gauge. The igniter toggle does not have a bezel and looks like the one originally posted, no Celsius and no "8006" number on it.
That Genesis 2 in the 1989 literature sure does seem to tick all of the boxes....

Curiosity got the best of me so I made some time to unload it tonight. Here’s the sticker if someone can decode it…

IMG_3185.jpeg

No, I was thinking more of the panel that hung under the frame that ran the length of the cookbox on the longer framed grills.
And, we have located the missing panel. As you can see in the photo, it is on the back of the grill where it has probably been since being assembled incorrectly on Day 1 of its’ service life, likely without anyone noticing or wondering what the slot in it might be for back there.

IMG_3186.jpeg

And, we have located the missing panel. As you can see in the photo, it is on the back of the grill where it has probably been since being assembled incorrectly on Day 1 of its’ service life, likely without anyone noticing or wondering what the slot in it might be for back there.

View attachment 72028
And it's not even rusty. You have to give the original owner some credit though, he managed to keep that grill in nearly pristine condition for it's age.

And it's not even rusty. You have to give the original owner some credit though, he managed to keep that grill in nearly pristine condition for its age.
Absolutely. The more I look at it, the more impressed I get. With a new igniter, this grill could be back in service tomorrow. To make things even better, it came with a new cover and a full tank of LP that together are worth well more than the $50 I paid for the grill. The missus won’t like it but I may have to go ahead and add another grill to the personal collection by keeping this one as well. She’s probably already onto me, though, since I parked it in the back of the shop with my other keepers instead of on the side of the garage with other projects in the queue.

This part of the sticker means that the ANSI specification version is from 1985. It doesn't mean it is a 1985 model year, but can't be older than 1985 and is likely at least a year or two newer

1686003027699.png

I have a Genesis 3 that I think is a 1990 and I recall the ansi version on the tag of that grill is 1987

Last edited:
I brought this grill home yesterday. I offered to pre-pay the seller’s asking price of $50 electronically on Friday based solely on the pictures here which were posted with the ad since I couldn’t get there to pick it up right away and the seller accepted the deal. It’s still in the back of the truck and, with life being as busy as it is of late, it will remain under the tonneau cover for another day or two before I get a chance to unload it. This seems like a good time and place to have some fun by asking the other vets here on the forum to chime in with some visual clues that would help us date this thing in the interim. I found several rather quickly, myself. One clue per comment with any supporting description, please. I’ll chime back in with a serial number once it’s unloaded (if there is one intact). Ready, set, Go!.....

View attachment 71995View attachment 71996View attachment 71997
I have no clue to the age but just wanted to add that I love these Weber style grills as my Dad had one he bought in 94 IIRC and had it till 2008 when the recession got the best of him. I hope to find one to fix up by next year for his 65th birthday

In a previous thread, @Chris Allingham confirmed his Genesis 2 with serial number L3 162105 as a 1991 by knowing his original purchase date. With L=Propane and 3=Genesis 2, this would put my grill as the same model but 100,000+ serialized units older. Without knowing per year production levels, I don’t know how much closer this gets us to a confirmed production date, but we can rule out anything pre-1985 along with 1991 or later as possibilities.

Great discussion on this challenge!

I am strongly in the 1989-1990 camp. TomRc's research seems to confirm that 1991 on are not possible. The 1988 grills appear to still have had the wide slats, based on the dealer catalog we have. This grill does look like the ones in the 1989 and 1990 catalogs/brochures that we have.

Back