Upcoming Big Cook - Two Questions

Wow! You guys have some serious vacuum sealer tastes!

How about a recommendation for an entry level?

I understand a certain need for a vacuum sealer but, WOW boys, that’s pretty serious stuff! I’m seconding Tim’s entry level request!

I've purchased a little better food saver after my entry level one died. What I like about this one is it's a continues duty one. We just got done bagging 36 bags of sliced bacon. With this model it doesn't need a cool down cycle every few bags like my old one did. I've had it for a year and a half and probably sealed well over a thousand bags with no issues. Another plus is it has a 12v cord so you can run off a battery out in the field if camping.

For $130 I think it's a bargin.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B016C4KJS0/tvwb-20

Last edited:
As much as I’d like the high volume, mass bag sucker, I can’t justify the expense.
If I got the great deal above? Maybe.
For my purposes, Rich has made a more “reasonable” choice!
Thanks Rich.

As much as I’d like the high volume, mass bag sucker, I can’t justify the expense.
If I got the great deal above? Maybe.
For my purposes, Rich has made a more “reasonable” choice!
Thanks Rich.

yeah. I doubt I would have paid anywhere close to retail for mine. Another nice thing about the one Rich posted is that I believe it eliminates one step in the making of bags. On my old one, it had a roll holder, but you had to spool out whatever length you wanted. Cut it. Then stick one end into the slot to seal. I think on that one, you can pull to length, close the lid, seal and then cut. Not a big deal when only doing one or two bags, but its a really nice feature when doing multiple bags.

Now I feel guilty :(

Using the chamber to seal soup and chili this week was a real treat. And the 16" bar on the external sealer is quite convenient. I could never get the hang of sealing the FS pleated bags if I wanted to seal a whole chicken or a roast. But I certainly understand the cost on the others is very high. Whatever you choose, if you go with one of the 11" sealers I would recommend ordering the generic bags from Amazon as opposed to buying the FS brand.

I'll *NEVER* buy anything labelled FoodSaver ever again. If nothing else, their customer service is completely non-existent. After having 2 FoodSavers fail on me, I bought an Ari Vacmaster 260 that's outlasted both FoodSavers together, and pretty much never blinks.

I've been buying bags & rolls from WebstaurantStore.com (somebody here pointed me that way a year ago, and I've spent quite a bit there since.) Good material and economical. It's cheap enough that I find myself just using the premade bags (quarts & pints) rather than the bigger-than-I-should-have-bought roll material.

Back