HM 4.2.4 3D Printed Case

I found a local 3D printer so I forwarded him the designs. He is asking me what thickness I want it printed at? "3 layers at 0.1mm layer thickness, and a 10% infill" or he could change it to "0.15mm" which would be less expensive.

What thickness have people been printing at? Thanks!

0.15 mm is plenty small. I usually print at 0.2 to 0.3 mm. I wouldn't get any higher than that or you will get the marshmallow man look.

Hi Tom,

I wanted to say thank you for providing the files for the RasPi B mated HeaterMeter. I successfully built my first HM (housed in your case design) earlier this year and have been having a great time with it!

I am thinking about building a second one, but headless (ie no LCD) and without the little joystick controller, as I fried the LCD in my first build and don't find myself wishing I had it. I prefer to use the web interface from my phone or laptop. That said, there are no headless/buttonless versions of a case. I am wondering what program you used to build the case files and how difficult you think it would be edit/create a new case that doesn't have the holes. If the modeling program is free I'd like try building one, though I don't have much experience with this. Anyway thanks again!

SJWebb, the files were created in autodesk inventor fusion which is a free beta program and can also be edited in other CAD programs. Removing the LCD and button holes is actually extremely simple and can be done with just a couple of mouse clicks. I can easily do it for you and upload the files or leave it as an exercise to you if you wanted to play around with the software. Let me know.

Hi Tom, it sounds like your doing it would take about a 10th the time it would take me to even install the program, so if you don't mind doing it that would be great! One concern is that without the LCD attached, will the internal supports on the case still be sufficient? I am having trouble visualizing it. Thanks.

Here is a version of my sliding back HMv4.2 case with the openings for the LCD and the button closed off, I left the LED holes in place 'cause you didnt mention eliminating them. I added a pillar support that should end up right under the rPi mounting screw hole if I did my math correctly. I haven't printed this case without the LCD but it is exactly the same as the tested version with the LCD so it should work fine, the only variable is the support pillar I added to hold up the rPi on the far end.
I thought I had made the Thermocouple Pit Probe version but turns out this is the one with the standard pit probe. If you want the TC pit probe version let me know.....
HMv4.2_Case_NOLCD.jpg

EDIT: Updated to include Thermocouple version.

Last edited:
Hi Tom, it sounds like your doing it would take about a 10th the time it would take me to even install the program, so if you don't mind doing it that would be great! One concern is that without the LCD attached, will the internal supports on the case still be sufficient? I am having trouble visualizing it. Thanks.

SJWebb, the files are up. The stl for the new top is labelled "no-holes". The supports should still be sufficient because it was already supported on top of the HM PCB and bottom of the pi. The source file is there too if you want to play around and learn CAD.

Last edited:
Tom, Thanks! I really appreciate it. I will have a look and see if I can start designing my own case. Ralph, I would be very interested in seeing the TC version of the sliding back. Looks like a nice little case!

Try 3D Hubs www.3dhubs.com

This is a web-based facility which connects people who need 3d printing with local owners of 3D printers who are willing to do print jobs. The system set up for uploading print files, getting a quote, and making payment by paypal.

I found a local printer last week. My HeaterMeter print was done within 24 hours, and local pick up meant no freight costs.

Hope this helps. Paul

Anyone know of any UK printers? I PM'd Tom but haven't heard back so assume he's not printing anymore

Dave, I must have missed your PM or not clicked the send button. My printer is offline for the time being while I am in the process of moving and starting my new job. I encourage you to try out the 3dhubs link mentioned above or any of the other similar services on the internet that bring local printers in contact with designers. Also, there is a forum member "Peter F" that lives in the Netherlands and is able to make quality 3d prints based off of what I've seen. He indicated to me previously that he could potentially help out users in Europe with their case needs, so I would try contacting him if you are not interested in the 3dhubs option.

Tom

Back