HM 4.2.4 3D Printed Case

I'm in need of a 4.2.4 case for a commercial that Sonic.net will be filming at my house next week. It's for their gigabit fiber they are bringing to my neighborhood in a few months. We're going for a home automation angle with as much DIY as possible. I have all 4.0 parts and could always make it, but I would prefer to go 4.2.4 at this point. What colors are available to ship out this week? I love the BGE forest green, but the semi-transparent colors that have been posted recently are freaking rad.

If I can pull this off I will share the commercial (it'll be on YouTube) with you all.

I have recently completed the build of a K8200 printer, and have it running with some success, although the sides of the print seem to be rather rippled - is this normal? Looking at the photos of other printed cases, the sides of my print seem to be far more pronounced.
Am printing with PLA - any thoughts on what may be wrong here?
3dprintedges_zps8176e0fc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
A very well designed case though - great job Tom!

Thanks,
Dave.

Hey Dave, what is the pitch of your z screws and what layer height are you using? What type of z screws? This looks like z banding but you should see this in all of your prints if that is the case.

Hi Tom,
Not sure what the pitch is, but is standard threaded rod, think it is 8x1.5mm. Have been reading about a change to trapezoidal rod, so may be some merit it that then!?
That print was done at layer height of .25, tried at 0.2 with similar result;

Yes, have seen this problem in all prints, but thought it relevant to show the HM case, as it is a part printed by you and others here, so can compare the prints more easily.

Will now look into 'z banding', but I think the standard threaded rod may be the issue (have already beefed up the z-motor mount).

Many thanks,
Dave.

These issues are usually due to the threaded rod which is why you see this pattern with perfect periodicity. Trapezoidal screws are definitely a worthwhile upgrade but you can often fix a lot of it by making sure that you are choosing a layer height compatible with your pitch and by putting some kind of backlash compensation into the nut traps. The other thing I saw when I looked up your printer is that the photos seem to all show filament being fed directly into the extruder from the spool without a strain relief tube. This is bad practice and will put tension on the extruder which will magnify these problems as the x carriage travels.

Hi Tom, rod is M8x1.25mm
Looking into backlash compensation ideas now, will see how they work out!
Given that on the K8200 the extruder only moves in the Z axis, do you think strain relief is necessary?
Thanks for the great help, will advise how it goes.
Just thinking this is more of a general 3d print issue, I have posted into the wrong thread, my apologies!
Dave.

Sorry about that, I didn't even see that the extruder was fixed on the x-axis and that the bed moves in both x and y. Forget what I said about the filament strain relief stuff, the z-screw stuff still holds though. Just look up z-wobble and you will find tons of information.

Tom

Last edited:
I saw that. Matt isn't making cases anymore, so I figured that information had to be old, plus it seems a few more folks have other options available now.

Matt is the other forum member that helped design the case. I haven't spoken to him in a couple of months and wasn't aware that he isn't making cases anymore. I try to help as many people as I can but my time is limited.

If Matt is no longer printing cases and you (Tom) are having more requests than you have time to handle I am available to print some cases, either your design posted here or the sliding back case that I designed recently...

I just don't have time for it anymore.

Work has invaded my life, but in a good way. New projects and opportunities which have made for long days. And then there's school, family and work around the house. All this leaves little time for the 'fun stuff'.

Case in point: I printed off some idlers for a friend a few weeks ago. Job took an hour. The printed parts sat on the build platform, in a running heated chamber at 50C for an additional three days because I had other things to do and forgot about them.

I forgot about them for three days.

THREE.

DAYS.

And then it took another three days before I could get to the PO to ship them out.

Just don't have the time. :/

Also, the cases are looking good. Haven't gone through the thread in a while though.

Take care and have fun!

Back