Genesis Platinum Series II Restoration started

With all the talk about Blue Weber's I thought I'd post a current pic of my Genesis Platinum.

It's been just about two years since the complete restoration and it's still looking great.

nYLxRXn.jpg

PR8cLMh.jpg

E3DltXL.jpg

I did take off the end caps to do some touch-up as I had a bit of paint flaking. I put on a set of "studless" caps in the meantime. As you can see, the grill gets nice and hot.

Jeff

Last edited:
That is definitely a cool and unique looking grill. That handle is really interesting too.

That really is a sweet grill. Another I'd love to get my hands on it would be a perfect replacement to my Summit which BTW I have not even had time to start on yet to clean and sell. UGH!

It was nice to see your very special grill pop up again.:cool: You did a spectacular job with it, and it is still looking great. I hope I will finally have my special Skyline done someday and that it comes out half as good as your Platinum II. I have only seen one Platinum II for sale in quite some time. Nice, but not as good as yours. I think it sold for $350.

That is definitely a cool and unique looking grill. That handle is really interesting too.

Thanks Bruce, I knew the moment I saw it I would have to grab it.

That really is a sweet grill. Another I'd love to get my hands on it would be a perfect replacement to my Summit which BTW I have not even had time to start on yet to clean and sell. UGH!

Fingers crossed for your purchase of your Genesis Platinum II.

It was nice to see your very special grill pop up again.:cool: You did a spectacular job with it, and it is still looking great. I hope I will finally have my special Skyline done someday and that it comes out half as good as your Platinum II. I have only seen one Platinum II for sale in quite some time. Nice, but not as good as yours. I think it sold for $350.

Thanks for the kind words Jon. I've seen your work and your grills always come out great.Can't wait to see your finished Skyline.

Geez, Jeff I had finally stopped drooling over myself then you bump your Platinum thread up. :)

Brian, Here's hoping that you find your Blue Platinum as well. Oh, sorry about the drool too. :p

Jeff

Ed:
Just working on my silver C and the screw on the left side of the fire box that attach the fire box to the frame is completely rusted and split in two. What’s your best suggestion for removing the screw stuff in the fire box and rotted bold in the frame?
Thanks
Randy

It shouldn't be hard to get the bolt out of the frame. The cook box is another story. You can try drilling it out, but that is tough to do. I just support the area around the hole and carefully pound it out. The problem with this method is that you can crack the cook box if you get too aggressive with the hammer and punch.
Make sure you replace it with a new Stainless steel bolt and nut. (1/4 x 2" is what you need)

Whatever you do don't hit it with a hammer. When aluminum castings get old they become very brittle and can shatter like glass with little provocation. Go ahead...............asl me how I know :D

Back