Genesis Platinum Series II Restoration started

It's coming along nicely
Thanks Jay.

Pulling out the Flex....You show off! I would have went with 105/205. Nice work so far!
Tim,
That's a joke only us car detailing aficionado's would understand!

Nice progress! My lid became the same after several hours, wonderful. It was not much more than a year ago. You don't want to see it now... :(
I hear ya but I wanted to to get the grill like new as I know it will not look this way for long.

Nice job Jeff!! Now that's a restoration
Very impressive restoration, Jeff!
That is a sweet looking ride
Thanks guys, it was all worth it in the end.

Jeff

Stainless retaining bolts for the end caps...what hardware did you use for this? I'm looking to do the same thing for my lid after I repaint...

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan,
I used Stainless 1/4" x 20 5/8" long tapered bolts.
Weber uses splined bolts with those thin "speed nuts" originally.
You can reuse the nuts if you want too.

fJqYScv.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff, she's a beauty. Excellent job on the rehab! That grill is going to last you a long time.

Had a 20% off coupon to use over at e-bay so I ordered rcplanebuyer's Flavorizer Bar setup 9814/7538. Got 'em for $58.36 so I put them in for todays cook time. These are 13 heavy-duty 16 gauge 304 stainless bars.

xTqD4MC.jpg

Now I have both his HD grates as well as his Flavorizer bars in my "lifetime" Weber

PbBqbyd.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
Unfortunately they don't stay pretty for very long.

While the rcplanebuyers items are on the costly side they pretty much are a lifetime investment so I don't mind the premium cost.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi;

Great restoration job!

I was wondering where you picked up your stainless steel hardware/bolts and pins from? Is there an online source that sells in small quantity? Or from the big box stores?

I am in the processing of re-NEW-ing my circa 2000 Weber Genesis Silver and want to replace all of the bolts with stainless before I re-assemble it.

Looking good!

Ed, look for a small hardware store (like Ace or Do It Best) that carries Hillman hardware.

I pay about 20 cents for stainless 1/4-20 nuts
17 cents for stainless 1/4-20 washers

Look for a store called Fastenal they sell tons of items some specialty and it's my go to place for stainless hardware especially for grills

Look for a store called Fastenal they sell tons of items some specialty and it's my go to place for stainless hardware especially for grills

Thank you, guys! I have a Fastenal fairly close to me. Are they the kind of place that stocks these items in stainless, or do they need to be ordered? I want to save myself a trip only to find out I could have ordered online and had it shipped.

Here locally they have a large stock of stainless stuff also other alloys and many different types of things

Hi;

Great restoration job!

I was wondering where you picked up your stainless steel hardware/bolts and pins from? Is there an online source that sells in small quantity? Or from the big box stores?

I am in the processing of re-NEW-ing my circa 2000 Weber Genesis Silver and want to replace all of the bolts with stainless before I re-assemble it.

Looking good!

Any big box store has a selection SS hardware as well as Tractor Supply,Fazio's of Wall and they are in S.Jersey as well.Or online @ Monster Fastener.

Hi;

Great restoration job!

Looking good!

Thanks Ed,
Most stores have a pretty good stock of stainless but not all stores have everything I have pictured so I grabbed what I can from each store.
True Value,Ace Hardware, and Aubuchon Hardware were my stores of choice.

Jeff

Thank you all for the replies. I found a decent selection of SS hardware at my local Lowes. Only problem I ran into was they only have sizes in 1/2'' increments and my frame needed some bolts in 3/4'' increments. I am going to give the slightly shorter 1/2'' bolts a try after my paint step. If those won't work I will be searching again.

Just use an angle grinder and cut them to length. Be sure to have a nut on it though so you basically take the nut off after the cut and the threads are now "chased". I do this all the time

Back