Genesis Platinum Series II Restoration started

Alex, that plain steel sheet would likely turn into a rusty mess. I don't think it seasons like CI does and it is highly prone to rusting..

Alex, that plain steel sheet would likely turn into a rusty mess. I don't think it seasons like CI does and it is highly prone to rusting..

I was wondering about that. The only info I could find was to NOT use galvanized steel / anything with a coating. Prefer to use cold rolled steel.

CI is ideal, and I may just have to get a lodge griddle, but wanted to see what other options were out there. If I can get the weber griddle that fits into a Genesis grill, that's even better. But one thing at a time.

I came across a super cool video of a guy building a griddle from scratch: How to Make an Outdoor Griddle - DIY, and not sure what kind of steel he uses to make the griddle top.

I think most of those guys would use stainless steel. Anyway, if not stainless, I would look for one of the CI commercial ones that are made for what you want. They have the drip canals and usually funnel all the grease off the sides and/or through holes in the corners which helps to keep it from dripping on areas that will cause problems such as on/over burners. A bunch of bacon grease dripping down on top of burners would quickly turn into an inferno.

I did check out the video and the guy uses stainless for most of the frame but the griddle itself is regular mild steel. If you have a welder and the skills, then you could certainly build one, but otherwise, I would just find a suitable CI griddle to use on your grill. And, yes that is very good advice to not use Galvanized steel if you do fab your own.

Last edited:
I was wondering about that. The only info I could find was to NOT use galvanized steel / anything with a coating. Prefer to use cold rolled steel.

CI is ideal, and I may just have to get a lodge griddle, but wanted to see what other options were out there. If I can get the weber griddle that fits into a Genesis grill, that's even better. But one thing at a time.

I came across a super cool video of a guy building a griddle from scratch: How to Make an Outdoor Griddle - DIY, and not sure what kind of steel he uses to make the griddle top.

After going through more than one pizza stone, I bought a 3/8" thick piece of A36 steel (~14" diameter) on ebay a few years ago. It was relatively cheap, and it has performed even better than I expected. I've been eyeballing this to use as a griddle on my Go Anywhere. The seller has many other sizes of A36 available and says he can do custom cuts as well.

After going through more than one pizza stone, I bought a 3/8" thick piece of A36 steel (~14" diameter) on ebay a few years ago. It was relatively cheap, and it has performed even better than I expected. I've been eyeballing this to use as a griddle on my Go Anywhere. The seller has many other sizes of A36 available and says he can do custom cuts as well.

Cool. Something I'll definitely look into.

a 14" diameter chunk of 3/8" steel has to weight a heck of a lot. How does the "Go Anywhere" hold up with that thing on it?

The Platinum has a new accessory- a Weber Cast Iron Griddle # 7542/7598. I had been using my Lodge Cast Iron on the grill but the Weber Griddle is larger for more Smash Burger cooking :p

It replaces one on the Stainless Grates and fits like a glove.
A big Thank You to Red_5_Wrangler over at the WKC for helping me out.

Here it is all seasoned up.

gpzsF8U.jpg

Jeff

Amazon has this in stock right now and on sale: 7598 Weber Griddle

Just received it and looks pretty good. Will be using it today to fry up some marinated short ribs. (It's on one of the donor grill for storage).

PXL_20201031_222141423.jpg

Alex,
Nice to see an aftermarket vendor getting involved with making these as Weber left us hanging when they discontinued making these CI Griddle's years ago.

Jeff

Alex,
Nice to see an aftermarket vendor getting involved with making these as Weber left us hanging when they discontinued making these CI Griddle's years ago.

Jeff

It's listed as Weber 7598, so I think it's a Weber product. Maybe they had overstock and trying to clear out inventory.

But worked great, even if it's aftermarket, and for $44 bucks, I don't mind.

Attachments

• PXL_20201101_221112833.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201101_221112833.MP.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 25
I agree Larry, but in the Amazon ad it says enamel so that is why I was asking. The ad also said to season it as well so it was confusing. Not sure I want an enamel one.

What is the difference between seasoned cast iron vs enamel cast iron?

If I know what to look for, I'll take a closer look. If it's helps, I think the # 595 is stamped on there somewhere. I'll double check when I get home.

Seasoned means they were bare cast iron to start with but "Seasoned" by burning on a natural layer of oil which creates a protective and stick free layer on the cast iron. Enamel coated is a thin factory added layer of porcelain coating.

Back