What's the price for chicken wings in your area?

The other evening, I had a convo with my neighbor ...........

Neighbor : Hey, you have something on the grill about every evening ?

Me : yeah, purty much

Neighbor : Well it sure smells good

Me : Hey, I'm glad I'm adding something to the neighborhood.

My wife, Renee, is still working. I'm retired. I most always have most of dinner ready when she gets home. If I'm not grillin or smokin, then we're thawing something out that I've smoked or grilled.

So buying bulk wings works well for us :)

I get that conversation with neighbors too Lynn! Similar situation.
The trouble I seem to run into is as soon as she starts saying she really likes something and I get a “full case” or otherwise price deal, she decides that it upsets her stomach or some such frustrating reason for me to have never bought the stuff!
“Life gets tejus don’t it?” As Doc Watson used to sing...

Last edited:
We put the 40#'s of wings in Food Saver bags and there were 90 wings. They were jumbo wings. And there were no tips. The drummie and the flat had already been cut apart.

We have 10 packages of 9 wings each, should last about 3 or 4 months. I don't think I'll buy from US Chef Store again though, unless the price is under $2 a pound.

"Wingettes" were about 3.30 a pound for me this weekend. Wings are cheaper but you lose some weight in the wing tips. I don't know how to do that math. I was a little annoyed at the price but didn't want to try hunting for them so I bought them.

I mostly buy whole chickens these days as they are much cheaper than wings, drums or thighs (2.0 U$/kg)
Wings, drum stick and thighs go on the grill and the fillet is being used for stir fries etc

Wings are cheaper but you lose some weight in the wing tips. I don't know how to do that math.

easy peasy----> FOR EXAMPLE:

price is $4/lb and you get 3 lb so the wings AND tips cost is $12

cut the tips off and weigh the wings again--> say FOR EXAMPLE, the tipless wings now weigh 2.5 lb. but you payed $12

Price of your wings is now $12 / 2.5lb = $4.80/lb not the $4 you originally paid. Wastage ~ 17%. Your milage may vary ;) I do not know what that wastage % is so don't use 17/20% as your guide.

This GUESSTIMATE % would be fairly consistent but figure 20% for round figures. SO, if you want 5 lb, you need (5 x 1.2) or ~ 6 lb of tipped wings to get that 5 lb desired amount.

REMEMBER this is just an example of weight loss. You'd need to do the actual calc to find out what that waste % is in real life.

Use the tips to make broth along with the bones if you are so inclined. Lot of fat but that would be skimmed off in any case.

Last edited:
I used to keep tips but after three months in the freezer taking up space, and making a batch of stock, I have decided that no matter how good my stock is(and it’s pretty blasted good!) is it worth what mess and constant dealing with frozen tips to add more tips every time? I revisit it from time to time and unless I think I’m going to to a couple of big batches of wings, I don’t see it being worth the fridge/freezer space most of the time. Consequently, I don’t keep as many backbones or wingtips as I used to.
That opinion may change with the introduction of the “Vortex” to the grilling arsenal, only time will tell.

easy peasy----> FOR EXAMPLE:

price is $4/lb and you get 3 lb so the wings AND tips cost is $12

cut the tips off and weigh the wings again--> say FOR EXAMPLE, the tipless wings now weigh 2.5 lb. but you payed $12

Price of your wings is now $12 / 2.5lb = $4.80/lb not the $4 you originally paid. Wastage ~ 17%. Your milage may vary ;) I do not know what that wastage % is so don't use 17/20% as your guide.

This GUESSTIMATE % would be fairly consistent but figure 20% for round figures. SO, if you want 5 lb, you need (5 x 1.2) or ~ 6 lb of tipped wings to get that 5 lb desired amount.

REMEMBER this is just an example of weight loss. You'd need to do the actual calc to find out what that waste % is in real life.

Use the tips to make broth along with the bones if you are so inclined. Lot of fat but that would be skimmed off in any case.

Truth, but I'm a lazy skimmer. I'll wait til the next day and scrape off the solid fat. Thanks for the info! I took math in college all the way up through differential equations and then get scared of a simple percentage calculation!

Next day skimming makes a lot more sense than anything else, doing it “hot” is way more difficult than the cold “after the hangover” method!

Back