What's the price for chicken wings in your area?

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I see some members saying how costly wings are in their area.
We talk brisket, pork butt, etc prices, so I thought it might be interesting to find out what they cost in your neck of the woods. Timely, I would think, with football season starting.

I picked up a jumbo pack of whole fresh wings today for $3.50/lb., smaller packs were $4.00/lb. These weren't on sale, they rarely are.
They also had "party wings" (flats & drummies, no tips) for $5.00/lb.

Last edited:

LMichaels

TVWBB Hall of Fame
They're far more expensive than their peasant culinary roots would have you believe. I rarely buy them because they're just way too much $$$

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Typically they are about $3.00-$4.00/lb. but, there are bagged IQF five pound deals from time to time. My grand daughter is very fond of them so, I indulge her pretty often when there’s a deal, I snag what I can store.
They should be cheap!
Dang it, now I want some wings! Well, off to the store tomorrow anyway. Thighs are $.88/lb. so, at least one package of those will be broken down into “2 passenger” packages!
I remember flank steak at $.99/lb. too!

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
CDN pricing: At our Chinese store, wings with broken bones are $1.59, wings wiith unbroken bones are $1.99 Major supermarkets are $4-5 / lb.

Brisket is $6 when you can find it for comparison. Boneless pork loin is $1,99 LB. Loin backs are $2.99 spares are $1,79 to $1.99 / lb.

Last edited:

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB All-Star
I just bought 40#'s of wings from US Chef Store for $2.18 a pound ............then after I got home and checked Sams on-line, they were cheaper in bulk. Don't recall exact price, maybe less than $2 .

And WalMart has tyson wings for about $2.30 , if your local store has them in stock.

My grocery store is about $2.90 a pound.

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I'll admit, I haven't shopped around for the best price, was at a local chain store today, saw wings, wanted wings, and they're nice and large. We don't eat them very often.

BobJ

TVWBB Super Fan
2 weeks ago at WM, $2.69 for the small pack, $2.39 for the large. Tips included.

Last edited:

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB Hall of Fame
$2.99/lb. this morning at Meijer’s, where they had sold out of thighs ($.88/lb.), strikes me like an upside down deal but, I’ll go over in the morning and see if they have restocked!

I think it might be time to do the kettle fried chicken recipe!

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Last time I looked WM was $3.49 for frozen wings with tips. Local chain stores are about $4.00 to $7.00lb. for fresh. That's why we don't do them. This past new years one of the chain stores wanted $12.99lb.

timothy

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Sams Club has a 55lb box for $98.00 or roughly $1.78lb of Pilgrims Pride wings.
They come in individual styrofoam trays, not sure on the amount.

Tim

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Just doing some simple math.
My 4.25 lb. pack had 15 large whole wings, ten times that amount would be 42.5 lbs, or about 150 wings.
Like I said, I don't do wings very often, so no way would I buy in large quantities.
I've tried the quick frozen bagged wings and did not care for them much.

timothy

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Yea, I always try to buy fresh from the local Mexi Mart. Prices aren't that bad for jumbo wings.
I just had to put that Sams club out there for comparison.

Tim

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB All-Star
We do wings 2 to 4 times a month , I figure 40 pounds last me 6 month at most, and I really don't care if frozen, they get a rub and a sauce on not much meat.

We've been buying the large packs and freezing half of them, anyway.

Bob Correll

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I've tried the quick frozen bagged wings and did not care for them much.
To be clear, I was referring to the IQF (individually quick frozen) wings, usually sold in 5 lb. bags.
I do freeze fresh ones with no noticeable difference in quality.

Last edited: