Genesis ll thoughts

Most if not all Walmart stores in my area discontinued Weber gas grills about 13-14 years ago. I bought my Silver B as a clearance item in 2005 at a local Walmart. After that I never saw any more Weber gas grills at our local stores.

They seem to be phasing them out around here. I think they had a Genesis/SPirit last year, but I do think Walmart is going more with the $150-$300 throw away grills. I think that is probably more in line with their customer base anyway.

Having recently "converted" to Weber for a gas grill, I'm learning a good deal about the history of their product here...

I have had a few friends and relatives with older Genesis grills that I was impressed with from a quality and durability standpoint. I've also had a lot more friends and relatives with the disposable stainless tin box type grills. Funny how they were replacing them every 2-3 years... I knew that when it was time to replace my 18 year old CharBroil (no, they don't build them like that anymore, either...) I would look into Weber for a replacement. I guess you could say that I was lured by the name, in light of all the discourse about where they're made now. That being said, when it was time to actually put my $$$ down, I was pretty blown away by the prices (in relationship to my available budget). I decided to wait for a deal or see if I could find something used.

At the beginning of September last year I found my deal. I picked up a GII E410 with rotisserie, cover, iGrill3, and a (partially filled) tank that was 2 months old. (Got the receipt, too!) It set me back $450 total with no repairs needed. (Hell, there wasn't even anything to clean for crying out loud!) I'm good with that.

While I'm a "newcomer" to Weber (gassers), I've been around and cooked on quite a few different units in the last 30 years and I can say that this is a solid grill. So I've only had it for 6 months, but it's gotten a workout - I've already gone through 8 tanks. Is it as good as the "oldies"? Probably not - but I'm not fully qualified to answer that. Is it better than most anything out there in its price range? At list price, I'll say "I think so"; at my price, I'll say "by far". I guess time will tell, but I feel qualified to say that the Genesis II's are not an "inferior" product in today's market.

Yah, the Genesis II is a nice grill but I cannot see myself paying $600+ for the grill but all bets were off when they were on clearance at Lowes and Wally world and got mine for $169 at Wally world (Genesis II E-310). I've yet though to go through a tank of propane with it as I am finding myself using the old school grills a lot more. I guess I'm using it as a gazebo queen right now lol. Even though it is now made in China it is proving to be a solid grill. My uncle also picked up an E-310 from Lowes when they were clearing them out and he babys that thing now. He came from Char Broil and Jennair grills and he says that it's night and day between the Weber and those two.

Last edited:
I wasn't lucky enough for my local Walmarts to get them down to $169, but I did score a Genesis II E-310 for $349. Still a very good deal in my opinion - and I was in the market for a replacement for my aging 10 year old Q320 anyway. Like Damon said above, I think it is better than anything else at that price point.

Yah, if Weber could keep their Genesis E310 grill under $500 regular price without lowering the quality any more, they would be clear cut kings in that market range.

Yep that is the price point they need to be at. I'll lay odds they're still getting 50% or more profit on them even when selling them at fire sale prices

Having recently "converted" to Weber for a gas grill, I'm learning a good deal about the history of their product here...

I have had a few friends and relatives with older Genesis grills that I was impressed with from a quality and durability standpoint. I've also had a lot more friends and relatives with the disposable stainless tin box type grills. Funny how they were replacing them every 2-3 years... I knew that when it was time to replace my 18 year old CharBroil (no, they don't build them like that anymore, either...) I would look into Weber for a replacement. I guess you could say that I was lured by the name, in light of all the discourse about where they're made now. That being said, when it was time to actually put my $$$ down, I was pretty blown away by the prices (in relationship to my available budget). I decided to wait for a deal or see if I could find something used.

At the beginning of September last year I found my deal. I picked up a GII E410 with rotisserie, cover, iGrill3, and a (partially filled) tank that was 2 months old. (Got the receipt, too!) It set me back $450 total with no repairs needed. (Hell, there wasn't even anything to clean for crying out loud!) I'm good with that.

While I'm a "newcomer" to Weber (gassers), I've been around and cooked on quite a few different units in the last 30 years and I can say that this is a solid grill. So I've only had it for 6 months, but it's gotten a workout - I've already gone through 8 tanks. Is it as good as the "oldies"? Probably not - but I'm not fully qualified to answer that. Is it better than most anything out there in its price range? At list price, I'll say "I think so"; at my price, I'll say "by far". I guess time will tell, but I feel qualified to say that the Genesis II's are not an "inferior" product in today's market.

Good to hear from someone else actually using a Genesis II. I agree with your thoughts. Thanks for posting.

I heard good things about the 2019 models with the sear burner. But I still cannot justify spending $800 or so for a brand new grill when I can get an old one restored for a fraction of that price. Maybe I can get a good deal on a used Genesis II in a few years if the long time quality is what I would hope. Until then my current workhorse will do the job just fine.

@Stefan H
That's where I was at too. I didn't pull the trigger until my old workhorse couldn't pull the plow anymore and I found a deal I could live with on a 2nd hand unit... Let's just hope the quality of the 2nd gen Genesis is reminiscent of the originals.

Just to stir up more conversation, I took a look at the linked ad for BBQGuys.com for a black "Special Edition" Genesis II with 9mm stainless rod grates, 4th sear burner, a handle light and closed in cart. $999 with free shipping.

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...MIr-j4y8Dh4AIVFwuGCh1sfQglEAEYASADEgKJq_D_BwE

I will always prefer the classic Genesis grills, but I honestly don't feel that this price is outrageous (regardless of their profit margin). It is very sharp grill, although I would rather it had the open cart which I think you can get as an alternative. If you compare the $999 in real terms to early 90's pricing I think this grill is priced comparably. And back then you couldn't get a Genesis with grates that nice.

Again, for that money you could have a spectacularly restored classic Genesis with rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizers, add on handle-light, rotisserie and a whole bunch more, plus still have money leftover for lots of steaks and BBQ. But, for someone smitten with this grill's modern looks, I can understand why they would buy it for $999.

Last edited:
Is it worth it? Probably, but not for me. Like you said, for $999 you could find a cheap (sometimes free) older style Genesis, fix it up and modify it with RC's hardware and still come out way on top. However, if Walmart or Lowes, etc...clears out the Webers later this year then I'd probably bite on the Genesis II E-330 just to see if the sear burner is an improvement.

Sam,

Not worth it to me, either. I just would say that I can understand someone paying that who can afford the $999, doesn't have an interest in even the finest restored classic grill, and who really likes the modern style.

I have no experience with these Genesis II grills, but I did have the earlier Genesis with the 4th sear burner. I know some feel it is a gimmick, but my experience was that it did, in fact, make a positive difference. My best results actually came when I used it in "reverse" first starting steaks, etc. on the regular side and then using the sear side for the second diagonal line on the crosshatch sear pattern.

Just to stir up more conversation, I took a look at the linked ad for BBQGuys.com for a black "Special Edition" Genesis II with 9mm stainless rod grates, 4th sear burner, a handle light and closed in cart. $999 with free shipping.

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...MIr-j4y8Dh4AIVFwuGCh1sfQglEAEYASADEgKJq_D_BwE

I will always prefer the classic Genesis grills, but I honestly don't feel that this price is outrageous (regardless of their profit margin). It is very sharp grill, although I would rather it had the open cart which I think you can get as an alternative. If you compare the $999 in real terms to early 90's pricing I think this grill is priced comparably. And back then you couldn't get a Genesis with grates that nice.

Again, for that money you could have a spectacularly restored classic Genesis with rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizers, add on handle-light, rotisserie and a whole bunch more, plus still have money leftover for lots of steaks and BBQ. But, for someone smitten with this grill's modern looks, I can understand why they would buy it for $999.

Jon I agree that is awfully attractive at that price with the stainless grates and other upgrades. I also agree that it's not a good value compared to restoring an older grill but for a new grill it would be hard to beat.

1000 bucks is a lot of money. But so was the was the 500 to 600 bucks the Genesis 1000 and B models cost several decades ago. I thought my father was crazy when he spent that much on a grill 25 years ago. Turns out I was the crazy one for not spending the money up front and buying all those numerous throwaway grills.

Jon I agree that is awfully attractive at that price with the stainless grates and other upgrades. I also agree that it's not a good value compared to restoring an older grill but for a new grill it would be hard to beat.

1000 bucks is a lot of money. But so was the was the 500 to 600 bucks the Genesis 1000 and B models cost several decades ago. I thought my father was crazy when he spent that much on a grill 25 years ago. Turns out I was the crazy one for not spending the money up front and buying all those numerous throwaway grills.

You make a very good point no $1000 is probably not far away with inflation for what the old ones cost new. I am with you should have bought a Weber 20 years ago spent the money cause I am in the same boat if you add up with the amount of grills you bought over the years and had to dump would be ahead.

So sick of hearing about "inflation" I call BS. $1000 is still a VERY hard nut to swallow and FAR harder than $500 was when I bought my first one.

Yah, you and a few million Venezuelans are sick of hearing about inflation.

I keep thinking that if I tried to spend $1000 on a grill, my wife would ask me why the kitchen range cost half that and then tell me we need a new $1000 range.

So sick of hearing about "inflation" I call BS. $1000 is still a VERY hard nut to swallow and FAR harder than $500 was when I bought my first one.

Larry,
I agree that $1000 is pretty tough and out of my league. But it is true that back in the day a Weber, even a simple kettle, was very expensive by comparison to what else was out there. George :george: worked hard to convince people his Kettle was worth the pretty steep price, and then later the Genesis was certainly looked at by some as a rich person’s grill. I can vaguely remember my Dad saying he wished he could afford a Weber. I know for sure that in the 90’s I used to look at them wistfully at Lowe’s while I went home to the Coleman clunker I bought because, at the time, I couldn’t justify or muster the price difference.

As far as inflation, the numbers I and others have referenced are just historical facts. It may be true, though, that they don’t tell the whole story.

Last edited:

Back