Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help identifying Vintage Weber Charcoal Grill used for Thanksgiving cook.

Need help identifying Vintage Weber Charcoal Grill used for Thanksgiving cook.

Some Pictures.

Last edited by JeffG; 12-06-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    Bacon....the duct tape of the Gods.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    From the WKC forum:
    "The earliest green kettles Weber made were the Avocado Green kettles. Introduced around 1967 and available through 1973. This had a super cool “mist” or two tone finish that varied in visibility through its production run."
    http://weberkettleclub.com/gallery/g...grill-gallery/

Decent looking avocado. Easily worth a a couple hundred.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    From the WKC forum:
    "The earliest green kettles Weber made were the Avocado Green kettles. Introduced around 1967 and available through 1973. This had a super cool “mist” or two tone finish that varied in visibility through its production run."
    http://weberkettleclub.com/gallery/g...grill-gallery/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in KC View Post
    Decent looking avocado. Easily worth a a couple hundred.
    Thanks Bob and Dave.

It was pouring rain in Palm Springs over the Thanksgiving weekend, had 15 people to feed so a $3.99 a pound Prime Rib from Stater Bros.came into play.

And a couple of the Turkeys cooking..

View of the snow level looking over the backyard fence the next morning.

Last edited by JeffG; 12-07-2019 at 08:02 AM.

TVWBB Pro
    Kinda says it all, that you're using the Weber that can use a little love over the gas grill.

Any ideas what the metal ring in the first photo is for?, doesn't look like a rotisserie ring.
    Also anybody notice the inverted Vortex in the Rib Roast video?

That's my dream kettle grill! Someday I will have an avocado. Can't afford the asking price these days, though...Enjoy it!
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    Any ideas what the metal ring in the first photo is for?, doesn't look like a rotisserie ring.
    Also anybody notice the inverted Vortex in the Rib Roast video?
    The metal ring in the first photo almost looks like a home brew ring of some sort. It isn't an old kebab ring based on the notches at the top.

I also noticed a Vortex. It is one of the more popular ways to do an indirect cook. I have seen people use it as shown, or I have even seen people put a hunk of meat on something right on the charcoal grate in the opening. For a prime rib it probably works pretty well that way. With Turkey people tend to position baskets in a "C" shape at the leg side of the turkey as the legs don't dry out as much as the chicken breast when over cooked.

That is a very nice Cado you got there! Hope I can find one like it eventually! If you want to do a full restore there is a lot of tutorials over on WKC. I would also recommend evapo-rust for rust removal on the triangle. It can be used on the kettle itself and the wheels, but be careful as to how long you leave it in if any kettle or parts are rusted very badly. It won't damage the porcelain in my experience, but it eats any kind of rust at all and sometimes it is just rust holding it together. DO NOT USE EVAPO RUST GEL ON THE KETTLE AS SOME HAVE SEEN DISCOLORATION. Not sure what to do about the rubber wheels. It isn't a problem I have had to bother with unfortunately.

IIRC I saw someone here or elsewhere use a rubber engine timing belt for the wheel treads.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Hall of Fame Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I did notice the Vortex! Have not used mine in that configuration yet. The ring is a bit of a puzzler, not tall enough for a rotisserie as far as I can tell but, who knows?
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast