Hung Tri Tip and Grilled Artichokes

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
CAB Choice Peeled Tri Tip was on sale for $4.97/lb and Artichokes were $.99 each. What's not to like about that?
Both are favorites around here.

Rubbed the Tri Tip with Oakridge BBQ's Santa Maria and Carne Crosta.
Hung it in the 14.5 over a small split of red oak and Weber briquettes.

Vzb0gdb.jpg

qafX5b2.jpg

Cooked at 280* ( more or less) and took it to an internal temp of 115*.

4uLnapR.jpg

Pulled it and let it rest (under foil) until I got a hot fire.

uQtt8QF.jpg

Seared for 2 1/2 minutes per side.

AP1PFvI.jpg

It was jiggly! Tented under foil and let rest.

CV1uLp9.jpg

While the Tri Tip was cooking, preheated the 330 to 450* and boiled the artichokes for 25 minutes in a bath with the juice and zest of 1 lemon, 2 cloves minced garlic and lots of K salt and coarse ground black pepper. Drained the pot, cut the 'chokes in half lengthwise, removed the choke, brushed them with evoo and gave them a good dusting with the S & P.

Grilled the 'chokes for 8 minutes face down.

2070I7c.jpg

And flipped for several minutes to heat them through.

zaeaejW.jpg

Cut with kindness.

5OSkrH9.jpg

Time To Eat!!!

M3XCldT.jpg

Dinner was excellent. Would need no teeth to eat that beef.

fwiw - have been out of commission due to a knee replacement. Starting to get around a bit and having some energy.
Been missing cooking outside and am slowly getting back into the swing of things. Probably another month of so before I'm running on all 8 pistons.

Last edited:
Now that's how you cook a Tri Tip! Looks absolutely terrific. I've seen you bouncing in and out every once and a while. Glad to see you've made it back to the grill. You've had a long, grueling month Robert.

That meat looks perfect. Can't say I've ever had roasted 'chokes. Had 'em in a dip though. Roasted: are they moist? dry? need EVOO on them?

Thanks Rich, Jim, Cliff and Dustin for the support and kind comments. Very much appreciated.

That meat looks perfect. Can't say I've ever had roasted 'chokes. Had 'em in a dip though. Roasted: are they moist? dry? need EVOO on them?

Thanks, Len. The petals get crispy, the base of the petal is still moist and pulpy. Because they are grilled, they take on a different flavor profile. Try it sometime, I think you would enjoy one or two. I should get more creative than mayo for a dip, but it's ez and so good. Grilled them with evoo, s&p - no evoo after that.

Last edited:
Tri Tip looks terrific Robert, like the grilled chokes. Take it easy on the knee, so we can see some more of your wonderful cooks.

Back