Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Citrus juicer

TVWBB Pro

Citrus juicer

There's a chain of Mexican restaurants in the west called Cafe Rio. When I lived in California there was one just a couple miles from my house. Their food is quite good -- particularly the freshly made-in-the-restaurant tortillas -- but the thing that kept me coming back on a weekly basis was their mint limeade. They make it fresh in the restaurant each day using actual limes and real mint leaves. I absolutely love the stuff.

Now living a long way from the nearest Cafe Rio I've had to resort to my own devices as far as mint limeade. I've got mint planted in the back yard (in a container so it doesn't take over the whole yard) and get five pound bags of limes from Costco. I've also found a recipe that, if not exactly like the Cafe Rio drink, is very good.

Making enough of this to make it worth the bother requires squeezing a lot of limes. Given the price of the things, I want to get every last drop I can from them. I have a citrus juicer I got at the megamart. It's sturdy, which has been the problem with most of the others I've tried, but I think it's designed more for lemons than limes and doesn't allow squeezing enough to extract all the juice. So I'm looking for a new juicer. I don't do this enough to justify spending a ton of money on a fancy electric model. I'd like to find a different hand operated model that is sturdy enough that I won't break it in normal use (I've broken several), will extract virtually ever last drop of juice, and will fit comfortably in a kitchen drawer.

Does anyone have specific model recommendations? I looked at the ATK recommended one but wasn't sure that was really the way to go. It looked as though they didn't really review all that many different models so I can't help feeling there might be something even better out there.

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    I hear ya about REAL fruit juice. I love margaritas. LOVE them I always use that reconstituted stuff in the green bottle. Don't know any better

I had some limes I needed to get rid of the other day so...........

Oh my were those drinks ever good. Super smooth. I never even considered using real limes till I tried them that way. There seems to be a lot more acidity in the bottle than the real stuff.

I use a manual juicer

I put the limes in the microwave for 20-30 seconds, then let 'em cool . Roll them under your hand (they shouldn't be hot to the touch} on the table like you're rolling out dough. Press hard (I mean, really flatten it).

Cut them in half at the equator and then use the manual juicer. There ain't nothin' left in my skins
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

I have a couple of the handheld squeeze models but what I really like is my small manual juicer - there are better options than mine, it has a very small reservoir but it works for me.

Have you looked at the electrics?

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...9J34LL/tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...EU9VSM/tvwb-20

I have a couple like this (without the lemon & lime sections:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

I have a collection of juicers like this one. Seems every time we go to the beach, we end up renting a house that doesn't have a proper juicer. It started when my sister used to have have a beach house. I bought one at the beach then and left it for her house - then she sold the house. Since then, I have to buy one every time we go (never think to pack mine). Then I end up coming home with one and giving it to a friend because I already have one (or more). They work great and I can juice a bag of limes for margaritas in minutes. And it works well with lemons, as the seeds don't get into anything.

Last edited by JimK; 07-05-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    ; ; ;

TVWBB Pro
    @Len -- I used to use a reamer like that when I'd make lime sorbet. Some of the vesicles of juice would be extracted intact and make it through the whole sorbet creation process. They were like a little mix-in surprise in the sorbet when eating it. I'd usually only do three or four limes to make a batch of sorbet so using the reamer was reasonable. A couple liters of this mint limeade, however, means juicing more than a dozen limes. More than I'd care to do with a reamer.

The last one mentioned by Clint and the one by Jim are similar to the one I currently have. I think the multiple section one might do a bit better since the limes would fit better in the smaller section. Mine is more like the one Jim included a picture of. There's just something about the leverage that isn't right. I can squeeze it so the ends of the handles are just about touching but that doesn't translate to the same compression in the bowl.

Maybe I'm expecting too much but whenever I pull out the squeezed limes I can always squeeze more juice out by hand. That doesn't seem right. The edges of the lime curl over and protect the outer vesicles from being squeezed. This last time I tried cutting through the edge of the lime in four spots hoping it would keep it from curling but it didn't seem to matter.

I guess maybe I'll give the ATK recommended one a try. It's almost certainly an improvement over what I currently have.

Should anyone be interested in mint limeade, this is the recipe I used. The only things I did different is I made lime sugar by zesting four or five limes with a microplane and mixing the zest with the sugar called for in the recipe and leaving it to sit for a few hours. I also have read that lemon and lime juice improve in flavor if left to sit for a while after squeezing so I squeeze the limes and let the juice sit in the fridge for as long as I reasonably can (which is usually not long enough). Aside from that, the container I use isn't large enough for the full recipe so I add just four cups of water and then dilute further when serving. If you like limes and have access to fresh mint, I can highly recommend this. It's very refreshing.

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    PTO on my Kitchen-Aid does the job for me.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    PTO on my Kitchen-Aid does the job for me.
    I'm not sure what PTO means, but a Kitchen-Aid is somewhat outside the budget for this acquisition.

PTO = power take off? The place where you connect attachments like a juicer attachment?

TVWBB Hall of Fame
    This one: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...XOG4B0/tvwb-20

Doesn't seem to be any reason to pay more for yellow, the green works fine on the lemons I buy.
    Coquo, ergo sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug D View Post
    This one: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...XOG4B0/tvwb-20

Doesn't seem to be any reason to pay more for yellow, the green works fine on the lemons I buy.
    Wait, what? Doug D? Thanks for dropping by TVWBB!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast