Tacos Al Pastor Questions

Dan C. FL

TVWBB Pro
I've been asked whether I can make Al Pastor on my Weber rotisserie attachment for my kettle. Before I get into my questions, I'm going to state at the outset that I have done a search and read most of the Al Pastor threads. Having done that, I'm still left with a couple of questions. Here we go:

1) Have you done it successfully on a Weber Kettle using the rotisserie?

2) It looks like the traditional meat is pork shoulder (Boston Butt) sliced thin. I'd like to stick with that. It seems possible but, it's a little different since the Weber Rotisserie for the kettle is horizontal. Is there a way to do it horizontally without the pork shoulder falling apart off of the rotisserie? (Obviously from the posts I read, the pineapple should be arranged around the outside since we're spinning horizonatally instead of vertically.) Maybe use 1/2" or thicker slices?

3) How'd you prepare it for serving? I'm thinking chop the pork and put the pineapple in a bowl and let people assemble as much or little of each as they want?

4) Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

More than a few years ago I attempted this on the kettle with the rotisserie. Not the best product that has come off that grill. I remember trying to come up with a way (more like find a local welder) to make a vertical heat source and rotisserie. Eventually lost interest in the endeavor.

The result from that first try, as I remember, was edible. But not so good that I ever did it again.

You need a vertical rotisserie like they make schwarma meat with
www.cookstore.ca-eurodib-images-eurodib-thumbs-20151019163657907-de4a.jpg

BUT not at $3000 :-O

More than a few years ago I attempted this on the kettle with the rotisserie. Not the best product that has come off that grill. I remember trying to come up with a way (more like find a local welder) to make a vertical heat source and rotisserie. Eventually lost interest in the endeavor.

The result from that first try, as I remember, was edible. But not so good that I ever did it again.

Why do you think it wasn't that good? Was it flavor related? I can't believe that being vertical as opposed to horizontal alone would make that much of a difference in the outcome.

You need a vertical rotisserie like they make schwarma meat with
www.cookstore.ca-eurodib-images-eurodib-thumbs-20151019163657907-de4a.jpg

BUT not at $3000 :-O

Yeah, I've read that that's the way the do it. But, I was trying to come up with a way to do it with what I've already got (which is not one of those vertical cookers :) ). I don' t understand why the outcome would be any different when cooking vertical as opposed to horizontal (I figure that if you put some pineapple around the sides and tie it on, that it would allow plenty of that flavor into the meat).

Why do you think it wasn't that good? Was it flavor related? I can't believe that being vertical as opposed to horizontal alone would make that much of a difference in the outcome.

Yeah, I've read that that's the way the do it. But, I was trying to come up with a way to do it with what I've already got (which is not one of those vertical cookers :) ). I don' t understand why the outcome would be any different when cooking vertical as opposed to horizontal (I figure that if you put some pineapple around the sides and tie it on, that it would allow plenty of that flavor into the meat).

I think it'd be fine. The key is holding the meat together. You won't be cooking it to falling apart I wouldn't think, though.

I haven’t seen anyone cook it on a weber Rotisserie. The way we do it is as it cooks we slice off and serve.
That may be difficult on the rotisserie. we Garnish with salsa,onions and cilantro. Pineapple bits or slices on top.

I haven’t seen anyone cook it on a weber Rotisserie. The way we do it is as it cooks we slice off and serve.
That may be difficult on the rotisserie. we Garnish with salsa,onions and cilantro. Pineapple bits or slices on top.

Tony, do you do it on a vertical rotisserie or just stack it and grill it, slicing as it goes?

I think it can be done. Made a vertical rotisserie... works well.

One of several threads: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70022-Tacos-Al-Pastor-for-Cinco-De-Mayo&highlight=tacos+pastor

So you want to do it on a horizontal rotisserie? .... my thoughts... you will need to clamp the "stack" very tightly. Should work.

Yup, a horizontal rotisserie! I was thinking that it would need to be clamped tightly and probably run a skewer or two through to hold it together, then tie a few pieces of pineapple around the outside.

Yup, a horizontal rotisserie! I was thinking that it would need to be clamped tightly and probably run a skewer or two through to hold it together, then tie a few pieces of pineapple around the outside.

I would put slices of pineapple in the stack. You want the meat to get crispy & pineapple on the outside would prevent it from cooking properly, imho. Or you could grill pineapple slices & go from there.

fwiw - many of the local carnecerias sell "al pastor" in bulk - doesn't have pineapple in it though. So it appears a lot of folks are grilling or frying it on a griddle or comal.

Last edited:
do you do the al pastor rotisserie style or ?

I see a ton of great pictures but not as many details as I'd like. I'm not big into instagram, just mostly for family stuff, so I might be missing the deets.

I cook mine on the griddle. My buddy has the real deal. As it cooks he slices off and goes directly on the taco.

Tony, do you do it on a vertical rotisserie or just stack it and grill it, slicing as it goes?

I cook on the griddle. We buy the stuff already marinaded and chopped. We just mix in some chopped onion and crushed pineapple.
My buddy has the real thing and he stacks thin slices that has been marinaded in adobo. Then as it cooks he slices off and serves directly on the tortillas

The preference to vertical cooking is that the "stack" can be harvested while it cooks. If you've ever been in the UK you may have seen Donor Kebabs, done the same way as Al Pastor. Or how Shawarma is done. The exterior of the stack is always seeing the heat source, the flame. You're getting the caramelization (sp?) of the meat and other ingredients always happening, always ready for the next taco, pita, slab of bread.

Of course this is the same with a horizontal cook, but a bit harder to harvest easily. Pull the spit, carve the stack, spit back in the grill. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. And with the horizontal cook I found it wasn't easy to keep all of the pineapple etc within the product while it was cooking after a few carves.

Just looked at this thread:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70022-Tacos-Al-Pastor-for-Cinco-De-Mayo&highlight=tacos+pastor

That's why you need the vertical stack, with a vertical heat source. Imagine slicing off the outer 3/8" all around, serving it to the guests, while the "raw" edge goes back to the flame. And repeat 15 minutes later,and repeat. That end result looks like it should, and I'm betting it tastes even better. Gives me a few ideas for a usable quick and easy weld-up. Harbor Freight here I come....

Back