First brisket cook.. and a question

Kristof Jozsa

TVWBB Fan
Yesterday I gave a try of smoking my first ever brisket in the kettle - it was a 21 days aged angus brisket flat. I used lump and mesquite wood in the SNS basket, wrapped at 150F and finished at 201F - in spite of the thin meat, the whole cook took about 13.5 hours around 225F. After pulling the brisket I left it rest wrapped, added more lump to the kettle and turned to high heat. Roasted sauerkraut and onion in my cast iron pan over the fire, toasted homemade rye bread on my griddle with the butter side down melting Beemster cheese on top of it and made sandwiches with the slices of brisket, cheese, onion, sauerkraut and a homemade thousand island dressing. The brisket was buttery soft with a fantastic smell and taste and the sandwich was well balanced with the sour cabbage, the sweetish onion and the mayolike dressing - think it was my best outdoor cook so far.

The question is - would this qualify as a Reuben sandwich or is that something else? :)

Brisket trimmed and rubbed with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub:

Sliced against the grain:

Sandwiches getting together:

and ready:

Thanks for looking!

Looks like a winner to me!
It's a "Kristof"!

Yes, it would in the broadest sense qualify but, generally a Reuben is corned beef. But, if I could have one of these, I'm not grousing one bit!

The question is - would this qualify as a Reuben sandwich or is that something else?
That is most definitely something else. Amazing comes to mind :)

The Brisket would have to have been cured in order to be a Reuben. Given a choice between a true Reuben and your cook wouldn't be too difficult. I'd go with the Kristof cook in a second!!!

Call it whatever you want, that sandwich looks delicious - thank you for sharing and extra props for homemade rye bread!

Kristof: Looks good. For a true Reuben you would need Corned Beef.

I take a corned beef and "desalinate" it by putting it in a bucket of water and placing it in the fridge. The first day I change out the water 3 times. Once on the second day and repeat the third day.

When it's done it will look pretty "gray", but smoking it will eliminate that.

While the water bath does not get rid of all the salt, it does lower it a great deal. Just don't add any to your rub.

Back