Bill's Dark Matter Chili - EDITED 03/21/2021

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I adapted this from a recipe I nabbed off the BGE forum many years ago. The title is the original, as a tip of the cap to Bill's original creation, even though mine contains a few adjustments.....

Bill's Dark Matter Chili (an adaptation from the original BGE Forum) -- EDITED 03/21/2021
1 can beef broth (14.5 oz)
8 oz tomato sauce
2 Tbsp mild chili powder (this is a chili powder blend)
1 Tbsp New Mexico chile powder
1 Tbsp Chimaya chile powder
1 tsp Pasilla chile powder
**NOTE: Use the chili powder you can find. Best to not use the supermarket brand if you can avoid it…..if there’s a local Hispanic market, you should have better luck there…or penzeys.com. Also, you can mix/match the chile powders to suit your taste or use what you have on hand (my last batch used Ancho, Guajillo, and Aleppo.)
1 ½ Tbsp ground cumin (toast and grind your own if you like)
1 Tbsp dried onion flake (or substitute ½-1 finely diced fresh onion)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 bottle beer (if you won’t drink it, don’t put it in…..avoid hoppy brews, I use Corona, Pacifico)
3 pounds beef (see note below)
1 square unsweetened bakers chocolate

**NOTE: I changed the quantity of beef to 3 pounds. My current method is to use 1 lb each ground beef and tri tip (diced to 1/4" or smaller depending on what kind of texture you are looking for.) These get browned at the beginning of the recipe and cooked with the rest of the ingredients. The last pound of beef is diced, smoked brisket point. I typically add this in the last 15-30 minutes of cooking since it has already been cooked, and will get stringy if you add it earlier.

In the chili pot, add some vegetable oil and brown the ground and cubed meat in batches so it doesn’t steam. When the meat is browned, set aside, taking care to not burn the residue, or fond, in the pot as this will add great flavor to your chili.

Deglaze the pot with the broth, add the tomato sauce and the beer.
Stir in all of the spices, and when thoroughly mixed, return the meat to the pot.
Mix everything well and simmer for 2 ½ hours.

In the last 30 minutes, add the chocolate, and stir well intermittently for the next few minutes to make sure that it is evenly distributed. If using smoked brisket, add that now as well.

As with most stews, chili seems to taste better the next day. If you can plan ahead, try to make your chili at least a day before you need it, if not two or three.

SERVINGS: 6

Last edited:
**NOTE: Use the chili powder you can find. Best to not use the supermarket brand if you can avoid it…..if there’s a local Hispanic market, you should have better luck there…or penzeys.com

Rich, a note about this, if you don't mind....

The powders referenced here are not blends, these are dried and ground with only a single pepper variety. And unquestionably, the dried peppers that I've found at a good mercado are a lot better, as well has a much larger choice.

Penzey's politicized their business 4 years ago. I won't buy anything there any more.

With great respect, I would suggest browning the tomato paste a bit before adding the broth, you will develop and even deeper complexity but, be careful not to burn it just a little toasting and you will see what I mean. I do it whenever I use tomato paste, it is pretty surprising at the difference you will find.

THANK YOU!!!!!!! for posting the recipe. Could I trouble you to insert the title of the recipe also in your post. For those of us that want to make a copy.

Rich, got some leftover brisket so I stole the recipe. Sans the chocolate.;)

Trust me on this....... use the chocolate. You don't want enough so that you can taste or identify it, but it definitely adds to the flavor. Sort of a homage to a good Mexican dark mole` sauce.

Timothy, this is an sort of an Indian curry technique. Bloom or fry practically everything before adding the bulk liquids, it makes a difference.

Great suggestions/feedback!
Rich, a note about this, if you don't mind....

The powders referenced here are not blends, these are dried and ground with only a single pepper variety. And unquestionably, the dried peppers that I've found at a good mercado are a lot better, as well has a much larger choice.

Penzey's politicized their business 4 years ago. I won't buy anything there any more.
JK, the first chili powder listed is a blend, but I get what you are saying. I also should have labelled the non blends as "chile powder" to be more accurate. Lots of places other than Penzey's to get good chiles and powders, so no issue there. In fact, in this batch I used some Ancho and Guajillo powders that I had purchased along with some whole grains from a place called Purcell Mountain Farms.....amazing stuff! :)
With great respect, I would suggest browning the tomato paste a bit before adding the broth, you will develop and even deeper complexity but, be careful not to burn it just a little toasting and you will see what I mean. I do it whenever I use tomato paste, it is pretty surprising at the difference you will find.
TL, I do that with other recipes, so it makes sense to me. This round, I used tomato sauce that I harvested from the barrel garden this summer, and just cooked it down to thicken it a bit.
THANK YOU!!!!!!! for posting the recipe. Could I trouble you to insert the title of the recipe also in your post. For those of us that want to make a copy.
Joan....you did notice that I originally posted the recipe 4 years ago, right? :) :) :) I'll see if the software lets me edit a four year old post......

R

Thanks Rich, no, I didn't. So thrilled to see a recipe posted that I didn't notice the date. lol

LOL - every time I think I've got my chili recipe dialed in I see a new one that I want to try. My current go to has lots of chili powder (McCormack), ground cumin, onions, red bell pepper and a BOAT LOAD (about 10 cloves) of fresh garlic. It's interesting to see that this recipe calls for none of that..... just goes to show that good chili comes in a lot of different forms.

LOL - every time I think I've got my chili recipe dialed in I see a new one that I want to try. My current go to has lots of chili powder (McCormack), ground cumin, onions, red bell pepper and a BOAT LOAD (about 10 cloves) of fresh garlic. It's interesting to see that this recipe calls for none of that..... just goes to show that good chili comes in a lot of different forms.
Yes, John, there are at least 2 ways (yours and mine) to make chili..... ;) I've been tweaking this one for over 10 years, but it's been pretty constant for the last few (with adjustments made for what I have on hand or don't.) :)

R

2 questions please

1. What is the BGE forum?

2. Has anyone made chili with Pork? If so, how was it?

2 questions please

1. What is the BGE forum?

2. Has anyone made chili with Pork? If so, how was it?
1. Big Green Egg = BGE
2. I have not......to me, chili has always been beef.....however, you could argue that chili is really just a take on meat in a chile colorado sauce, and I do make pork chile colorado frequently, and it is super tasty. If I were to try this, I would dice up some pork butt, and substitute it for the meat in my recipe.....I'm certain it would be great, I just wouldn't call it chili (but that's me.) :)

R

🙄 DUH I should have known that - Thanks!!

The reason I asked about the chili was because I have over a dozen chili recipes calling for pork. I didn't know if I should try any of them or discard. I have been working for days to decrease the number of recipe binders calling for pork. (not to much luck, lol)

I do the same when making my tomato sauce. Onions go in for a few, then garlic, quickly followed by the tomato paste and all the dried herbs. THEN the tomatoes go in after a minute or two. Makes the house smell great too.

Whoops! Forgot to add a pic of the 2021 version of this chili I made for Halloween. :)

1648644547068.png

If anyone else has made this, or tries it out, would love to hear how you like it, and what you changed (or would change.) 👍🏼

Whoops! Forgot to add a pic of the 2021 version of this chili I made for Halloween. :)

View attachment 48108

If anyone else has made this, or tries it out, would love to hear how you like it, and what you changed (or would change.) 👍🏼
Looks great Rich! Thanks for posting.

Just picked up some dried Pasillas and Guajillos yesterday and have some other dehydrated homegrowns. May just try this one out with some of the brisket/sirloin I ground last week.

Back