Chris A's Hot and Fast Chicken on the WSM

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I used Chris' method as a guide.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

5 lb. bird with a light coating of salt, placed on a rack, and in the fridge for a few hours.
Dried well, garlic and onion powder only for a rub since Jo does not care much for pepper.
Looks like a ghost bird due to lens fog from the humid 112° heat index.

IMGP4468.JPG

I used my 14.5" WSM with K pro comp lit over some leftover lump, and a chunk of apple wood.
Hood therm read 300° F with all vents open.
30 minutes skin side down, then flipped.

IMGP4474.JPG

Left half with regular bbq sauce, right half with Big Bob Gibson's white sauce.
The BBG sauce became transparent from the heat.

IMGP4476.JPG

I added some BBG sauce to mine, and brought out the pepper grinder.

IMGP4482.JPG

Results?
Like Chris said, the skin wasn't crisp, but it was bite through tender.
I did remove it from my breast portion.
The meat was tender, very juicy, and flavorful.
And Jo, like Chris' wife said, some of my best chicken ever.
The white sauce was a nice tangy change from regular sauce.
Thanks for the visit!

The birds look great. & the plate looks better. I know that dinner was tasty.
I've become a fool for the white sauce.

Well, your second and third shots don't look like ghost bird! Outstanding color and photos Bob. I'm fascinated with the white sauce on chicken. A couple of the other guys have recently done that too, I believe John Solak and Robert. Going to be trying it soon. Great looking meal.

I agree with the others the white sauce we need to try. Birds look great as does the plated shot, another winner for Bob:)

Bob, that is fantastic and love the plated pic. I'd take either of those birds, but could you give the recipe for the white sauce. I must have miss taking notes on John and Robert's cooks. Thanks.

Another recipe to bookmark. Looking forward to cranking up the WSM to the max. I have some restaurant grade lumpwood that burns very hot and lasts well.

Superb looking chicken Bob! My 14.5 has been my go to for chicken since the first time that I tried Chris's recipe.

That's a "to do" if ever there was one. Excellent chicken Bob. Home grown tomatoes? Beautiful color

Back