Pastrami Reuben Sandwich

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Had a craving...

Pre-cured

CDAFDEE9-23A5-4D4D-BC3D-786F7188C924_zpsuihjuuln.jpg

Rubbed in the cure (the two after should have been before these two)

6123ECFE-ACF9-45E2-8B88-E5A5BC6C6B49_zpsyywxkmkw.jpg

B14889E3-7B19-4D60-9CF5-0A3970812277_zpsch9ddtuf.jpg

C8FF1132-DEB0-4B2A-9EF9-CAD9EE0081E9_zpsnhbdds0k.jpg

In the smoke rub

C8178D43-A98F-44AC-8EB9-EC3F8D58342A_zpsfmyktta9.jpg

On the smoker

7C02A738-7BFE-484E-B031-A1DB205B53D1_zpsy7fihz5d.jpg

Eight hours later (two of which were resting in the ice chest wrapped in towels)

84335503-F554-4E46-ADE9-435FAFA8B9CC_zpsaseg5v6e.jpg

Sliced

C48461E7-2E2D-42C9-8387-3A426EB55EFC_zpscriqciao.jpg

to be continued

Now the good stuff

3F3B79AF-8D4C-44CB-ABEB-BD0DE0E2C3B1_zpsuigp85c0.jpg

79392CEB-8DDB-4B39-89EB-03D103A142B2_zpsxxnbrz2b.jpg

CC1D1B58-8FB1-400E-A8B6-3B1E80DAFCEC_zps6blxtmh6.jpg

979C0771-1C47-4634-872A-EBD290DA2821_zpsvqazpjoj.jpg

I just had the (homemade) Russian dressing, my son had that and mustard. I was too full to try it, but we agree on stuff, and he said it's bomb with the mustard. If anyone wants, I can post up the various rub recipes and the Russian dressing recipe. I would have to say, it's the best Pastrami Reuben I've ever had

My oh my, all those pepper corns looks like a rock slide hit your kitchen :). That looks so good. Had my regular corned beef last week. Good wine sauerkraut and even better kosher pickles.

Nice smoke you got there Chuck.

all the pics look great - I'd almost say especially the sandwich but it's hard to pick a favorite out of those

Your Reuben sammie's rule Chuck, ill take spicy mustard on mine.
But Please post your Russian dressing for all to see.

mmm-mm, that looks good Chuck! I've been having the same craving but you beat me to it. I did a second corned beef with Chris's Quick Pastrami method on the Mini on Thursday (St. Paddy's), just haven't had a chance to make my samwich yet.

Great looking pastrami Chuck. Yes please provide the recipes. One day I want to try making my own pastrami. How long was it on the smoker?

Regards,

John

WOW!!! Chuck that is one fantastic sandwich. I side with you son, have to put mustard on that sandwich for sure.

This was a huge hit at our house, I was almost sad to open the fridge door and not see any left. This all started last weekend, my son brought home two small briskets, the plan was to make corn beef, but then I saw this little jewel, and thought it might be better. This is the curing process I used, I cured them starting Sunday, and finished the cure on Saturday

http://www.mortonsalt.com/article/meat-curing-deli-style-corned-beef/

During the cure, I checked out several ideas and decided to pick up the cook at "For the spice rub" point.

For the spice rub:

1/2 cup cracked black peppercorns
1/2 cup coriander seeds
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/home-smoked-pastrami/

I did make a mistake, the directions for the rub say to "put the rub in a food processor and grind to a coarse powder" I ground the pepper corns (by hand out of the pepper shaker) and it wasn't until I rubbed the meat, that I discovered my error. Gonna have to do a re-due :)

For the actual sandwich, I used these directions

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/pastrami-reuben/

2 slices dark or marbled rye bread
1 tablespoon salted butter, at room temperature
3 tablespoons Russian dressing (use this recipe or your favorite store-bought brand)
3 ounces lean pastrami beef, sliced paper-thin across the grain
2 ounces thinly sliced Gruyère or Emmentaler cheese
1/3 cup sauerkraut, drained and wrung dry
5 dill pickle slices

And the Russian dressing came from here

http://barbecuebible.com/recipe/russian-dressing/

2/3 cup mayonnaise, preferably Hellmann’s
1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish

I should note, that I really rinsed the meat quite a bit when I finished the cure. I even went on to do several leaching. I submerged both briskets several time for about five minutes each time, changing the water after about 5 minutes. I probably did it four or five times, I might even do this more the next time. I didn't taste the cure, my wife said she could, but just barely. (she's very critical of salt)

I smoked the briskets for about four hours until I hit 165 degrees, I then wrapped then in parchment paper for another two hours until they hit 195. When I temp checked them, I knew they were done before I even had the temp come up, because the probe went it effortlessly. I left them wrapped in the parchment paper, blanketed in a towel in a small ice chest for almost another two hours. When I took them out, they were still very hot, and I sliced them fresh out and from there, my wife took over making the sandwiches. This was a lot of fun and because it took a week to complete, it was really rewarding. I love Reuben sandwiches, and I swear this was by far, the best Reuben I've ever had. This will surely be a cook to do again. Thank everyone for all the kind words, this one goes in the books here :)

Back