High Heat Pulled Pork

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame

High Heat Pulled Pork​

I decided to do a high heat pulled pork.

I bought a 7 lb. Boston Butt. I left the fat cap on as it was already trimmed down pretty far.

Slathered with mustard.

Rubbed with Salt, Pepper, Turbenado Sugar, Paprika.

Cooked at 300 to 350 with hickory and oak.

Almost done after about 5 hrs.

I took it off at an internal temp of 205. After the rest. Crust looks darker than it is. The turbanado sugar didn't burn.

Pulled.

A closer pulled shot.

I can't say the high heat caused the final product to suffer much if at all. This is probably the best pulled pork I've done in a long time although I've mostly been focused on brisket.
Dunno if I'll do a high heat brisket anytime soon

Great looking butt! Did you foil at any time? I did a hh brisket and it was a piece of cake, i highly recommend it. The only thing that I would do different next time is hit it with more smoke b4 the foil, then remove from the foil and put back on the wsm to set the bark.

Great looking butt! Did you foil at any time? I did a hh brisket and it was a piece of cake, i highly recommend it. The only thing that I would do different next time is hit it with more smoke b4 the foil, then remove from the foil and put back on the wsm to set the bark.
I didn't use any foil except to rest in a faux cambro.. Next time I might use butcher paper to get a slightly less dark bark.

Chris, there might have been slightly more chew but nothing that significant.

After my first high heat pork butt, I never went back to low and slow. My wife and I both agreed we noticed no difference in the taste or texture, and the shortened cook time is great!

Nice job Dustin. I've got a couple of butts in the freezer - I think I will give you technique a try soon...

Regards,

John

I remember when Tony did a High Heat Butt a while back. I said I wanted to try it then and never did. This has re-sparked that interest....especially when I read America's Test Kitchen Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder and BBQ Pulled Pork recipes both using 325*F.

When you think about it, the 300(s) are not really high heat. It's more like medium heat but ATK calls it "relatively low" in the recipe.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oven_temperatures

Last edited:
Very nice looking PP!!. What did you cook this pork on?
It's an Old Country Pecos offset, the type you see at Academy. They are about $350 to $400. They make a model called the Wrangler which is smaller and with thicker steel. I bought it long before I had either my OTS or WSM. I don't suggest it to anyone, but its very good in that price range if you just HAVE to have an offset. It consumes way too much fuel when ran with charcoal, but it seems to do ok running it with sticks at high heat temps.

It requires way too much tending to do a long cook so I decided to see if I could do a pork butt at high temps with logs. I have done briskets and pork butts low and slow on it with charcoal but it's an absolute beating. I'm just trying to see how much low heat vs. high heat really matters. I very much enjoy long cooks but knowing I can do high heat with good results is nice. My next smoke is going to be with the WSM. I'm tired of messing with this offset for while!

After my first high heat pork butt, I never went back to low and slow. My wife and I both agreed we noticed no difference in the taste or texture, and the shortened cook time is great!

Agreed. I prefer Myron's hot and fast approach as well. Same reasons as above. What temp and what cooker was used? Looks awesome! Need to do one myself here soon. Nice post.

Back