Pork Burnt Ends

Ethan G

TVWBB Super Fan
Howdy everyone! I haven't posted in a loooong time, but I lurk occasionally. I've recently experimented with cooking a pork butt into burnt ends instead of pulled pork. This method has a stamp of approval from my family as well as some neighbors and friends.

I started with a bone-in pork butt, just over 7 lbs. I cut it into five large pieces, one of them containing the entire bone. I trimmed some big chunks of external fat in the process. Rubbed all of the pieces and put them on the WSM with a foiled water pan and some pecan wood (is there any other kind?). Target temps were 225-250.

35C04826-FA1B-44CF-851C-9DEAF22BEAAA_zpskqyvpg0v.jpg

After about 3.5 hours the internal temps were in the 160-170 range, varied among the different pieces. I removed them and let them rest in an unheated oven for an hour. Here they are ready to be cubed.

9563F229-5D6F-4D9A-BA9B-30CF938DC3A9_zpsflcfev7r.jpg

My rub didn't have any sweet flavors in it, only spices. I sprinkled some brown sugar in with the cubed meat in a foil pan, as well as some honey. Side note, this is from a bucket of honey I bought from a farmer a couple of years ago. It has solidified, and actually works very well in bbq because I just scoop out small chunks of it with a spoon.

29A3F473-B74E-40F0-B770-2C25698A2C08_zpsfzq771ee.jpg

I put it back into the smoker with a fresh piece of pecan wood for another ~2 hours, mixing it up with some tongs every 30 minutes. This is what it looked like right before removing it. No more pictures because I got busy, but I let it rest 10 minutes and served it just like you would pulled pork.

74D36649-F6A1-4C38-BC13-9E27D55008E9_zpspb1kwuzd.jpg

If you like pork and want to vary the pulled pork routine a bit, give this a try. It is easy, delicious, and was 7.5 hours from lighting the charcoal to being table ready!

It was consumed with the neighbors, sitting out in the driveway. 70 degrees as it got dark, can't beat the Arizona weather :cool:

Last edited:
Ethan, are you still here? As Tom asked, how do you serve it?

Have you created any updated methods for the "Pork Burnt Ends" over the last 1 1/2 years? Have you abandoned it for another, possible better process?

I came upon your post a bit late to the debate in Jan '16, but your method for "pork burnt ends" sounds so appealing. I'd like to hear about your Final Approach to your original method (sorry, fellow pilots, for the nomenclature). So, what's new with it, and how are you making it today?

Rita

Last edited:
Looks real guud, will definitely give that a try soon. It would be great playoff game finger food.

Ethan, are you still here? As Tom asked, how do you serve it?

Have you created any updated methods for the "Pork Burnt Ends" over the last 1 1/2 years? Have you abandoned it for another, possible better process?

I came upon your post a bit late to the debate in Jan '16, but your method for "pork burnt ends" sounds so appealing. I'd like to hear about your Final Approach to your original method (sorry, fellow pilots, for the nomenclature). So, what's new with it, and how are you making it today?

Rita

Hi Rita. I usually either serve them as an open-faced sandwich with slaw, or even just the meat alone with dinner rolls on the side. OR......my personal favorite.......get slices of white bread (extra large if you can find them), use the slice like a mitt, and grab a bunch of pork with it. Then add some sauce, slaw, whatever and eat it like a wrap.

To someone else's point, these weren't really "burnt". But I prefer this to pulled pork, as you can have this ready to go and just staying warm without the meat drying out. I've gotten to where I don't care much for pulled pork if it's been more than a few minutes since it was pulled. This way it stays moist and fresh as long as it is warm. To each their own, but that's how I usually do it. :)

Back