PDA

View Full Version : Bill's Dark Matter Chili

Rich G
10-30-2016, 05:14 PM
I adapted this from a recipe I nabbed off the BGE forum many years ago. The title is the original, as a tip of the cap to Bill's original creation, even though mine contains a few adjustments.....

1 can beef broth (14.5 oz)
8 oz tomato sauce
2 Tbsp mild chili powder
1 Tbsp New Mexico chili powder
1 Tbsp Chimaya chili powder
1 tsp Pasilla chili powder
**NOTE: Use the chili powder you can find. Best to not use the supermarket brand if you can avoid it…..if there’s a local Hispanic market, you should have better luck there…or penzeys.com
1 ½ Tbsp ground cumin (toast and grind your own if you like)
1 Tbsp dried onion flake (or substitute ½-1 finely diced fresh onion)
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 bottle beer (if you won’t drink it, don’t put it in…..avoid hoppy brews, I use Corona, Pacifico)
2 ½ pounds tri-tip cut into ¼” cubes, you can also use ground beef, and leftover smoked brisket, just keep the proportions the same
1 square unsweetened bakers chocolate

**NOTE: This recipe is excellent with leftover brisket (preferably from the point.) Since the brisket is already cooked, I usually add it when there’s about 30 minutes left in the cooking time so it doesn’t get stringy.) Also, I will typically still use ½ pound of ground beef if doing all brisket, and sometimes even if using all tri tip as it seems to give the “gravy” some body.

In the chili pot, add some vegetable oil and brown the cubed meat in batches so it doesn’t steam. When the meat is browned, set aside, taking care to not burn the residue, or fond, in the pot as this will add great flavor to your chili.

Deglaze the pot with the broth, add the tomato sauce and the beer.
Stir in all of the spices, and when thoroughly mixed, return the meat to the pot.
Mix everything well and simmer for 2 ½ hours.

In the last 30 minutes, add the chocolate, and stir well intermittently for the next few minutes to make sure that it is evenly distributed. If using smoked brisket, add that now as well.

As with most stews, chili seems to taste better the next day. If you can plan ahead, try to make your chili at least a day before you need it, if not two or three.

SERVINGS: 6