Bill's Dark Matter Chili - EDITED 03/21/2021

Will a flat work okay in chili?
Sure, it'll work fine!
Do I include the bark, or exclude it?
Include the bark, lots of flavor there!
Is smoked brisket, exclusively, too much for chili?
Not in my opinion, and I've made it with 100% smoked brisket multiple times. The variable you get in texture from having some ground beef in there is a good add, in my opinion, but it's not necessary!
I also recognize it's the heat of summer but I'll eat chili anytime, anywhere :)
Yep, I'm with you! Made a batch of Chile Colorado (in the same genre) last weekend......6lbs of it disappeared VERY fast!

One reminder on this recipe, especially if you are going to use all smoked brisket. Put the brisket in for just the last half hour before serving. It's already cooked, and you don't want to get it stringy, but 30 minutes will bring the flavors together.

Let us know how it turns out, how you like it, and what changes you might make to tweak it for you, Fletch!

R

I don't see anything wrong with just using a flat. Maybe shred instead of cubing it, it'll hold together a bit better than the point.

I would absolutely use the bark.

Best Texas Red I've ever made was made with a whole smoked packer and a homebrew breakfast stout.

I was eager to finally use brisket meat in chili, so I made it over the weekend, but not remotely close to Rich's recipe. I didn't go shopping, so I used on-hand French's Chili-O seasoning.

It was decent but I very much want to follow the recipe soon to experience more complex flavors. But for now I can at least go on record as having used brisket, beer, and chocolate in a small batch :). The cubed meat held up nicely, having added it at the last stretch (yes, I added beans and diced tomatoes).

20240810_212914~2.jpg

I was eager to finally use brisket meat in chili, so I made it over the weekend, but not remotely close to Rich's recipe. I didn't go shopping, so I used on-hand French's Chili-O seasoning.

It was decent but I very much want to follow the recipe soon to experience more complex flavors. But for now I can at least go on record as having used brisket, beer, and chocolate in a small batch :). The cubed meat held up nicely, having added it at the last stretch (yes, I added beans and diced tomatoes).

View attachment 97949
Looks good from here! Use what you got, make it the way you like it! :) It's a bit warm and muggy here today for chili, but I'd have a bowl of that anyway! :)

R

Back