Zach's Weber cooking weekend - BBQ with the next generation

WB Zipf

TVWBB Pro
So this weekend my kids are off for four days, and my son, Zach, wanted to BBQ/Grill/Cook with me. Part of it is he likes to learn new things, part of it is he needs to work on his cooking merit badge for Boy Scouts, but mostly he wanted father-son time. What better way to spend the weekend? Anyway, Zach worked to prepare his menu for Friday dinner and Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Note that he selected a menu that can be entirely cooked over a grill/fire ( although we did cheat once and used a stove).

Anyway, here is the weekend in pictures. I will keep posting updates throughout the weekend.

After making his menu, it's time to go shopping.
downloadpicture

Friday's dinner is lasagna, Zach works to assemble it in the DO, cooked on the Weber performer.
downloadpicture

downloadpicture

Hey, how about we make some brussel sprouts with bacon while we wait for the lasagna to cook? Yeah we cheated a bit, as it is cooked on the stove.
downloadpicture

downloadpicture

Well, it's not the best looking plate (hey, where are the brussel sprouts?), but it sure was delicious.

downloadpicture

Next up, Breakfast, I can't wait!

Zach, awesome job and looking forward to the rest of you cooks. Doing a great job Dad, keep up the great job.

It's breakfast time, and Zach is making a DO breakfast that includes hash browns, sausage, cheese, green onion, and eggs.

Here he is putting it together (and yes that is the same shirt he was wareing last night, teenagers).

downloadpicture

Browning some sausage.

downloadpicture

Putting it all together.

downloadpicture

Standby for how it all turns out......

Breakfast turned out great!

Looking good, but smelling even better!
downloadpicture

Here is your plate, better come get it before it's gone.
downloadpicture

Next up lunch.... It's going to be "Worm Burgers...."

You're doing a great job Zach, Keep up the Good Work!!!!

Looking forward to the rest of the weekend's cooks.

Awesome post, loving everything about it!!! Great way to spend some time together and some awesome cooking young Man!!! Looking forward to more of this post, keep up the great work!

Well, as Teddy Roosevelt once said, " There is not effort without error or short coming." Zach lived it during this meal. His menu had worm (chowmmein noodles) burgers on slate for lunch, which is a perfect meal for a 14 year old.

Here they are being preped, notice the non-uniform patty shape, this would come back to haunt him.

downloadpicture

Here they are on the grill

downloadpicture

Tending the grill

downloadpicture

Now the burgers had a nice sear, and we checked with the thermapen, but inexperience on getting good readings from the thermapen was young Zach's undoing, as the burgers were quite underdone.

downloadpicture

We have all been there before, the saga of undercooked food, that gets microwaved (oh the horror) to complete the cook.

Fear not, however, as young Zach is a trooper, and he has a goal to achieve! He will shake off this set back and will come back and cook again later today. What is next you ask? Well, Zach plans to take on the challange of DO shrimp jambalaya.

Stay tuned for what I hope will be Zach's return to culinary success.

I'd say he's on the right track and ahead of most of us at his age...anyone else ever undercook a meal???

BTW, your garage is waaay toooo clean.

Can' wait for the pics of the rest of Zach's weekend.

I've got a full smoker right now. 2x bacon/sausage fatties, chicken wings, and salmon! Big family cook-out with relatives in town, plus it's our 27th wedding anniversary.

I'd say he's on the right track and ahead of most of us at his age...anyone else ever undercook a meal???

BTW, your garage is waaay toooo clean.

Can' wait for the pics of the rest of Zach's weekend.

I've got a full smoker right now. 2x bacon/sausage fatties, chicken wings, and salmon! Big family cook-out with relatives in town, plus it's our 27th wedding anniversary.

Thank you, and major congratulations on your 27 years! That is a terrific accomplishment! Make sure to post a thread with all your delicious food, I would love to read and see how it all turns out!

What a great post !! I can't wait to do the same thing with my son ! (He's a lil too young at the moment ;) )looking forward to the rest of the weekends cooks !

Big high five to both of you! Zack you got the makings of a great griller with those great cooks, can't wait to see more of your cooks!

Zack, outstanding and I'm sure your dinner will be right at the top. You better watch out WB it looks like Zack going to be taking over the cooking. Your doing a fantastic job.

Awesome post, loving everything about it!!! Great way to spend some time together and some awesome cooking young Man!!! Looking forward to more of this post, keep up the great work!

Me too - wish I could cook like that at his age. Good spending time together too, even if the old man is a pain :)

Wonderful post, WB! Zach is doing a fine job cookin' on the kettle. You should be a proud papa! Thanks for sharing everything so far and looking forward to his next cook.

Back