Your most valuable piece of gear for Winter Grilling is?

I see all these pics of snow covered decks grills and smokers. This past February we had snow and all the schools shut down and the Walmart, everyone didn’t go to work with total chaos for two straight days, fear of the roadways and have mercy if another snowflake were to fall on what we already had. View attachment 63710
Just put in low and floor it.

Am I right?

...another vote here for the humble snow shovel....

52558638672_601e31d5c7_c_d.jpg

@John_NJ yep - it was last night - we did some thighs: (We're in the BBQ 12 months a year camp for sure.....)

52559733628_4cc32ecc86_c_d.jpg
I'll stick to complaining about the rain we had. I couldn't do what you do. I'd die out there.

1670871177770.png

this kept me dry, plus an umbrella, as i grilled in the rain yesterday. not light rain, but pouring rain, and thunder and lightening. i did question the use of my umbrella yesterday. the shaft is graphite. hopefully i was insulated from the gods. (stock amazon photo; i am not a beard kinda guy).

Last edited:
This pic was taken this morning. The pile of snow on the left is my 18"WSM. The 22" WSM in the middle was used yesterday to smoke a brisket and was too hot to put the cover on last night. The pile of snow on the right is a Weber kettle. My winter tool is a snow shovel.View attachment 63893
That pic is amazing LOL.

My grills are under a Grillzebo and pretty well sheltered on the North & West, so rain and snow usually aren't a problem. Gotta go with a digital remote thermometer. These old bones don't take to the cold very well.
My most valuable asset for winter grilling/smoking is the covered, sheltered porch I built for any inclimate weather. Losing it is one of my biggest regrets about our pending move. So I'll need to find an alternative. Thanks for the Grillzebo plug. 😁. Fortunately the sheltered part is built into our new (to us) home's design with walls around three sides -- south is the open side.

Back