Your most valuable piece of gear for Winter Grilling is?

You bet!!!!! Darn, I could use it now, I mentioned it before, DH keeps our home so da** cold.

We don't really get winter here, just some rain on occasion so the main thing for me is light.

I need to add more lighting for my grilling area some day, but until then the winner for me is tongs and spatulas with a slide-in LED flashlight in the handle. I can remove the flashlight and put the tongs or spatula in the dishwasher.

Makes a great gift. ( they were a gift to me )

Cool tools there Dan. (y)

Good quality covers are also a valuable piece of gear for winter grilling. I just bought a new classic accessories veranda cover for my 18" WSM as the original weber cover was getting a bit worn down. The classic accessories cover is much thinker and heavier so it should hold up well. The downside is that its a tight fit! I mean real tight. Takes a little effort to get it to slide down all the way. At least I won't have to worry about it blowing off in a windstorm :)

I noticed the other day that the factory cover that came with my Masterbuilt Pro Gas Smoker had 2 holes in the top so it was time to replace that one too. I ordered a Large rectangular smoker cover from classic accessories and it arrived yesterday so I put it on the smoker. The fit was great. So now I have a heavy good quality cover for that one also.

I even ordered a cover for my Jumbo Joe from amazon. It came yesterday and it fits great. It's a little thin but it cost less than $15 so can't complain really.

A hoodie, insulated gloves and slip on/off booties.
Stocking cap if I'm out setting up the WSM's and Bourbon.

Not much changes in the winter. I keep my smoker in the shed and my grill is under the eves of the house so neither are really touched by snow. The biggest difference is my coat and gloves to stay warm since I already shovel the snow off my patio. Truth is that I don’t do much smoking in the winter - maybe one or two cooks. I’m more likely to grill, but even that is much less than in the warmer weather. Still, it’s nice to grill a steak or some burgers in the winter. Mostly, my BBQ is pulled pork and that is already done and in the freezer. So, maybe my most valuable gear for winter is my vacuum packing machine.

The porch overhang at the mountain house. We get crazy snow and cold high up in the Rockies.

The grilling spot is sheltered from above and the house blocks the prevailing wind. And the grill spot is three feet from the warm kitchen.

I see all these pics of snow covered decks grills and smokers. This past March we had snow and all the schools shut down and the Walmart, everyone didn’t go to work with total chaos for two straight days, fear of the roadways and have mercy if another snowflake were to fall on what we already had. View attachment 63710
This is what we in Michigan call a dusting.

I see all these pics of snow covered decks grills and smokers. This past February we had snow and all the schools shut down and the Walmart, everyone didn’t go to work with total chaos for two straight days, fear of the roadways and have mercy if another snowflake were to fall on what we already had. View attachment 63710
@Mike - LA There's actually a rather significant difference in the snowfalls in the southern US vs. the northern. Yours come down close to the freezing point, we get snow a lot colder. Close to the freezing point, it devolves into an ice layer, and that's nothing but a frictionless plane. The advantage is that in 24-48 hours, it'll all be gone. Hunker down, fire up the smoker, crack a cold one and wait it out. You also don't have the gear to move it (nor could you afford it, either.) And with the steep roads I've observed in TN and GA.... yeah, I ain't gettin' on those, no way, no how. Up here, while it certainly does get slippery, it's no where near as bad as a sheet of ice.

True story: Someone I knew in college grew up in Escanaba, MI, where they got a lot of lake effect snow. Her first job out of college was down in the Dallas Ft. Worth area. The first winter she was down there, she got up one morning, saw a thin layer of snow on the ground, showered, dressed, and headed to the office. It didn't sink in that there was nobody else on her commute, the parking lot was empty, and the building was almost deserted. She'd been working for a couple of hours when a security guard noticed here. "And just what are you doin' here, little lady????" "I came to work." "DIDN'T YOU SEE THE *SNOW*!!!!!" "That? That's barely a dusting, not enough to worry about." Down there, it was. Nobody knew how to drive in it, had the wrong tires,or worse, fully worn out tires.

I see all these pics of snow covered decks grills and smokers. This past February we had snow and all the schools shut down and the Walmart, everyone didn’t go to work with total chaos for two straight days, fear of the roadways and have mercy if another snowflake were to fall on what we already had. View attachment 63710
As Bill Monroe would have said…”That ain’t no part of nuthin’!”
My father was the “yankee” in Athens Ga. that was the “snow driver“ when they got an inch! He was a very good winter driver and I learned so much about that by simply watching.

that looks treacherous. call in the national guard. how did anyone survive the storm?

Back