Your favorite soda/pop growing up

Once in awhile, DH will bring home Dr. Pepper for me with take-out (I still like it) but my very favorite for some years now has been "Ginger Beer". Any fans of it out there?
Oh yeah. Verner’s is super spicy. Bundaberg comes from Australia and is good too. Haven’t had it in a while though.

Ha! maybe I'm the only one here so far... My favorite was Moxie. An old guy who lived next door sipped it while watching lightning from his front porch. I was maybe seven years old and I wanted to be just like him. We would sit together there on hot summer afternoons when a storm came by and watch the lightning, sipping Moxie. At first I didn't like it at all. But, I pretended to. After a while it became my favorite tonic. These days I don't really drink much tonic at all. My go to drinks are water and coffee.

Incidentally, our lightning watching came to an end one day when the house behind the guy was hit and caught fire. I didn't see it but the old guy said it went right by him sideways, over the roof of his 1969 Galaxy 500, and nailed the house. once I learned more about lightning I figured what he saw was actually a side flash - the main strike being what hit the house.

My favorite "soda" of all time was when I was a teen...

Friday afternoon, summer job, 100+ degrees out. Was about to clock out when boss asks me to empty a truck and pickup some equip at a wholesale place. Truck has no AC.

I get to the wholesale place, put a quarter in the soda machine and an ice cold can of beer rolls out the bottom. It might have been a budweiser, but it was the best ever.
Associated Welding in S. F. had an old quarter soda machine that was kept stocked with canned beer (Hamms, IIRC). They were always busy, so when we needed something small done, we'd sit around and drink beer while waiting.

Brad, I can't tell you how HAPPY I am that I checked out some old threads and found your post. It is one of the few things posted on this site that has made me feel this good. I love going down "Memory Lane" :love:

A lot of the new posts are from members that joined here after you posted this and probably never read it until now. So, maybe I didn't do a bad thing bringing back some of these old posts. ;)

My Dad loved Coke so we were a Coca Cola family. My family present day is all Coke too. But I had my share of Pepsi & RC too. I just love the cola flavor. Coming about that time of year Ginger Ale & 7-UP start to appear. 🎉🎁🍾

We got anything Holiday gas station had in stock. Usually grape, orange or root beer, but lemon lime, cola, and black cherry as well. It was all under the Holiday name. Not sure who made it for them.
Parents would buy it by the flat. They didn't have pull tabs.

For a special treat we would go to a local A&W, and IMO nothing better then that. We would get 7UP when we where sick, and we got to drink the left over Canad dry, and squirt when the parents had a card party bender.

I remember when I was a kid we sometimes drank Fresca.
They then changed the formula to remove the cyclamates from it and ruined it.
I remember Cragmont too.
It was a grocery store product I think.

One time on a really hot day in Redding California I was taking a bunch of kids boat camping so I bought the cheapest soda I could find.
I think it was the Safeway brand but it coulda come from Wallyworld.
When I was getting boat gas in town (yes I am cheap that way) the cans (maybe 20 or so ) just started exploding in my boat and put sugar syrup water everywhere and on me too.
I mean everywhere :(.
I was so unhappy about that but sometimes ya get whatcha get when you go cheap.

When we were kids you could still get Coca Cola syrup with cocaine in it. When we had sick "tummies" my mom would call the pediatrician and the drug store would then deliver a bottle. It settled things down nicely. Also there was another just awful medicine he'd prescribe called Paregoric. I recall reading the label and noting it had opium in it

When we were kids you could still get Coca Cola syrup with cocaine in it. When we had sick "tummies" my mom would call the pediatrician and the drug store would then deliver a bottle. It settled things down nicely. Also there was another just awful medicine he'd prescribe called Paregoric. I recall reading the label and noting it had opium in it
That paregoric paralyzed your intestines. That what it was supposed to do, and a little extra for your nervous system too.

When I was a kid, we'd go on road trips & stop at A&W - this is when the had car hop service - bring your order to your car & hang it on your door. I loved A&W. I loved it so much that I may or may not have accidentally forgot to give my root beer mug back when we were done... Whoops.
My parents didn't discover this until we were quite a ways down the road - I remember them debating whether to drive back & return it. Apparently, it was too far back - I had that mug into adulthood & wound up loosing it during the 94 earthquake.

I miss RC cola & haven't seen it in years.

Coke that's made in Mexico is made with sugar, not corn syrup. Mexican coke is still sold in traditional tall/thin glass bottles

Coke that's made in Mexico is made with sugar, not corn syrup. Mexican coke is still sold in traditional tall/thin glass bottles
IIRC, “Mexican coke” is a product that’s made for export only to the US to be sold as Coke made with sugar and not HFCS. The Coke that is produced and consumed for the domestic MX market is indeed made with HFCS.

I’ll try to find that article.

You will find many countries do not allow use of HFCS because of the health issues. Our's could care less

That paregoric paralyzed your intestines. That what it was supposed to do, and a little extra for your nervous system too.
I kinda figured it's what it did once I got a little older. All I knew about opium back in the day was the pictures of people in dens smoking it in our weekly reader and stuff. Had no idea what it was really.

Back