You want to make my bosses laugh... Tell them your bbqing plans.

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
I got promoted about 18 months ago and I love my job! I got to keep my great (early start, early out) hours that get me home at a really reasonable time to be able to cook and still make it to soccer practice or have time to accomplish many other things. This also is key as my wife does not like to eat late.

The problem is my bosses work later hours and when an emergency happens at the end of the day, I am known to get a call and be drawn into a meeting, a project, a report, or something of the natute.

So last night while trimming up a Tri Tip, I get a call... This is becoming so regular that the first thing my boss asked was, "Are you cooking?" So after over two hours in the downstairs office I came up to a MOD pizza waiting for me.

I guess no Tri Tip or Jim's pasta for me last night. I decided to move last night's meal today #Smoke Day 18 and move the original plans for today back until tomorrow.

Here is the long awaited Tri Tip.
IMG_20220528_150928216.jpg

First change to try dizzy pig's red eye express.
IMG_20220528_150943629_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220528_151222678.jpg

Done
IMG_20220528_172042715.jpg

First few slices.
IMG_20220528_172146381.jpg

Some slices off the more done side, you can see the great smoke ring I got.
IMG_20220528_172249314.jpg

Served with pasta inspired by @JimK .
IMG_20220528_173223838.jpg

Really liked the seasoning, the pecan wood smoke came through nicely, and we all loved the pasta. Until tomorrow's cook, I'm done! (Unless the boss calls...)

Very nice!! My boys love mod, one gets only bacon and the other only veggies and a lot of them. Strange kids!

Great job,meat looks perfectly done and very juicy. The pasta mix I really like.
Well done, now get back to work.
So I can steal a bite of that TriTip

Last edited:
Then you bring in some leftovers on Monday and make the office smell delicious....

That looks perfect, Michael! Glad you liked the DP RedEye, one of my faves. I've gotten to the point in my career where if someone calls me after I'm done for the day, it can wait until tomorrow. :)

R

I agree with you guys, I think Tri Tip is one of my favorite if not fighting for top spot of anything I cook. This was one of the best, I've made. It was a prime from Wild Fork, I cooked it really low (200 -225) with a good amount of pecan wood until it hit 110 and then the sear was perfect. I really liked the red eye express a lot. That triad of pecan, sear, and seasoning was awesome.

Awesome job! I say life comes first, then job. End. Of. Story.
Yeah, 29 out of 30 days my job really allows me to to put life and family way out in front in first position!!! I have decided those 29 days are worth the trade off of the one... I really like my bosses and they don't bring me in unless it is really needed, they work hard to respect my schedule.
It all worked out in the end because I was able to slow down the cooking of the Tri Tip with in being a Saturday and got amazing results.

I got promoted about 18 months ago and I love my job! I got to keep my great (early start, early out) hours that get me home at a really reasonable time to be able to cook and still make it to soccer practice or have time to accomplish many other things. This also is key as my wife does not like to eat late.

The problem is my bosses work later hours and when an emergency happens at the end of the day, I am known to get a call and be drawn into a meeting, a project, a report, or something of the natute.

So last night while trimming up a Tri Tip, I get a call... This is becoming so regular that the first thing my boss asked was, "Are you cooking?" So after over two hours in the downstairs office I came up to a MOD pizza waiting for me.

I guess no Tri Tip or Jim's pasta for me last night. I decided to move last night's meal today #Smoke Day 18 and move the original plans for today back until tomorrow.

Here is the long awaited Tri Tip.
View attachment 51529

First change to try dizzy pig's red eye express.
View attachment 51531

View attachment 51532

Done
View attachment 51551

First few slices.
View attachment 51552

Some slices off the more done side, you can see the great smoke ring I got.
View attachment 51553

Served with pasta inspired by @JimK .
View attachment 51555

Really liked the seasoning, the pecan wood smoke came through nicely, and we all loved the pasta. Until tomorrow's cook, I'm done! (Unless the boss calls...)
Great looking Tro-tip Michael. You're making me hungry.

Love this cook, Michael! I feel like I really need to do a tri-tip...I have never cooked one. Hard to find up here. But I love WildFork. Next purchase will be tri-tip.

Thanks for the inspiration! 🍻

Love this cook, Michael! I feel like I really need to do a tri-tip...I have never cooked one. Hard to find up here. But I love WildFork. Next purchase will be tri-tip.

Thanks for the inspiration! 🍻
They are just the prefect beefy, chewy, tender balance. I also love it because I can have the middle less done and still please everyone around the table. Last it also places itself perfect for the reverse sear or as I was calling it yesterday smoke and sear!

Looks great, I bought tri tip this weekend, first time I have seen them at the butcher ever.
Picked up 2, hopefully I know what is up with this.....first time cook....

The one thing to"learn" about a Tri Tip is about how the grain switches half way and needs cut the opposite way then the other half of the steak. I always try to find the line before I start cooking.
IMG_20220528_150928216~2.jpg

After it is cooked my first cut is always down that line.
IMG_20220528_172146381.jpg

Then I cut each side across the grain.
IMG_20220528_150928216~3.jpg

Back