You know you're getting old when...

This same guy, same day...we had a couple of motorcyclists riding behind us when he rolled down the window and hawked a big ol' loogy out the window. I hope those guys had helmets with face shields.
Similar. Years ago, I think I may have been 12 or so, anyway my uncle and my cousins plus a "shirttail cousin" all lived within 2 blocks of us. My dad and uncle Mario we for some reason tasked with watching myself, the older of my 2 sisters, my other cousin same age as my sister and myself. This was a big ol 1960 Chevy Biscayne 4 dr sedan. Dad and my uncle (brothers), loved to light up big ol stogies when they drove especially in summer. Windows down (440 Air Conditioning in those days). Well somehow I did not call "window seat" soon enough. So here we all were total of 8 souls in this car. Dad in pass seat, my uncle driving 2 kids between them and 4 of us in the back. My uncle was the first to light one up. As we're driving along (me lamenting the tallest of the bunch at close to 6' by time I was 11 or so) on the hump. Until as we're going along Uncle Mario pulls up a huge "hawker" and proceed to spit right out the driver's window at 40 mph. Poor Dean at the window in back caught the whole thing in his lap. How lucky was I?

One of the companies I worked for was started in the garage in the early 50s by the owner. He became a multi-millionaire but just a regular guy who happened to be addicted to sunflower seeds. A couple of us maintenance guys were sent to his large and very nice home in an exclusive area of town to see if we could fix his garage door, and in talking with him it came about that we were all interested in building and flying radio controlled airplanes. He took us upstairs to his hobby room and...I've never seen such a thing...the floor was completely littered with sunflower seed shells. He just spit them on the floor as he was working. He also was fond of ducks and kept several of them. He couldn't close the patio sliding door because of the duck poop.

He had a company lease vehicle that we had to return at the end of the lease, so we took it down to get it detailed and fueled up. He had been spitting sunflower seed shells out of the window for so long the side of the car had streaks down it that no amount of compounding or buffing would remove. Quite a guy.

Similar. Years ago, I think I may have been 12 or so, anyway my uncle and my cousins plus a "shirttail cousin" all lived within 2 blocks of us. My dad and uncle Mario we for some reason tasked with watching myself, the older of my 2 sisters, my other cousin same age as my sister and myself. This was a big ol 1960 Chevy Biscayne 4 dr sedan. Dad and my uncle (brothers), loved to light up big ol stogies when they drove especially in summer. Windows down (440 Air Conditioning in those days). Well somehow I did not call "window seat" soon enough. So here we all were total of 8 souls in this car. Dad in pass seat, my uncle driving 2 kids between them and 4 of us in the back. My uncle was the first to light one up. As we're driving along (me lamenting the tallest of the bunch at close to 6' by time I was 11 or so) on the hump. Until as we're going along Uncle Mario pulls up a huge "hawker" and proceed to spit right out the driver's window at 40 mph. Poor Dean at the window in back caught the whole thing in his lap. How lucky was I?
Yep. We all tried not to sit behind dad when he smoked cigars. Hard to do on a family trip with 5 of us. Mom, dad and one of us in the front and the other 4 stuffed in the back seat.

Over the last 25 years, I've been in Ireland twice, rented a car both time. The first time, at the rental counter, the young American couple in front of me had never driven a manual, and were in quite a tizzy. The clerk finally got them wrapped up, sent on their way, and said to me, "What can I do for you, sir?" "Hi, my name is thus & so, you have a reservation for me, and a stickshift will be just fine." "OH, THANK YOU, SIR!!!!!"
I could handle the stick shift but driving on the other side of the road in the other side of the car.......

Over the last 25 years, I've been in Ireland twice, rented a car both time. The first time, at the rental counter, the young American couple in front of me had never driven a manual, and were in quite a tizzy. The clerk finally got them wrapped up, sent on their way, and said to me, "What can I do for you, sir?" "Hi, my name is thus & so, you have a reservation for me, and a stickshift will be just fine." "OH, THANK YOU, SIR!!!!!"
We were lucky enough to have Miriam's brother chauffer us all over Ireland. Doing all of the roundabouts in the opposite direction was bad enough, but the thought of driving roads like this scared the bejesus out of me.
52 Irish Roads.jpg

We were lucky enough to have Miriam's brother chauffer us all over Ireland. Doing all of the roundabouts in the opposite direction was bad enough, but the thought of driving roads like this scared the bejesus out of me.
View attachment 65560
It should..... when we were there a few years ago, I did opt for the full insurance package on the rental..... and it paid off. Ended up with scrapes on the car trying to avoid a much too high speed collision much like that.

Now, for fun...... think about a full sized tour bus on roads just a tiny bit bigger. Ring of Kerry tours, buses only travel in one direction for safety.

So am I the only one who likes having a computer in their pocket? Convenient phone communication is good, but 90% of my computer activity is now on my phone. And virtually all of my reading with the Kindle app (yeah, I appreciate books, but I'm not a Luddite that must carry volumes around for reading). Also, I love the benefit of being able to contact people via text with important but not urgent stuff that we can both handle on our own time and not because the damned phone interrupts. Me and the phone companies have always had that love/hate relationship long before cell technology.

And more on the original comment about 90's movies without cell phones. The ones that get me are the original Star Trek with it's oh so limited "communicator" and the movies and TV where they carry around the new technology foot-long brick cell phones that weigh 10 lbs or more.

Last spring I was literally crippled by my little grand daughter when I placed her in her crib. All 12 lbs of her at the time :D
Oh, man...... a year & a half ago, I made a trip back home, and ended up rough housing after dinner with my nephew's 3 kids, from about 6 to 11 years old. The youngest had no fear and apparently no pain, my ribs are squawkin' at me just thinking about it.

Oh, man...... a year & a half ago, I made a trip back home, and ended up rough housing after dinner with my nephew's 3 kids, from about 6 to 11 years old. The youngest had no fear and apparently no pain, my ribs are squawkin' at me just thinking about it.
I don't think I would rough house with my grandson anymore. He's nearly as tall as I am at only 12. Of course at 12 I too was nearly 6' tall. So at best all I can do is play catch or kick a soccer ball around the yard with him :D

Don’t say that Chris! There are many boxes of staples in your future!
I have three different size staplers so, I KNOW I’ll be buying more…next time, I’ll get the right size!

I have at least three full size staplers, can I find one when I NEED the bloody thing? Only after a big search then asking my wife and she hands me the one from her desk! D’uh!

Back